Pier 51 Lighthouse Painting
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 04:06 PM UTC
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the kind comments, time will tell .

If you look at the large stone work I have two slightly different colours a buleish stone and a brownish stone. Which do you think workd best and does it look like stone?

On the small paper stone does it look real?

Never tried to paint and entire building before inside and out lol,, lol, but I though getting some paint on overall would help give me a better understanding ofnhow it might have looked.

As always comments and suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Al
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Model Shipwrights: 69 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 04:29 PM UTC
Very nice work. It was fun skimming down this thread catching up on this.
Very good work on the details weathering and finish.
Your figure work is really nice. I like the variety and the experimentation.

I like female figure, she adds a big interest factor. My only downside to her is that she indicates that there is a fairly big breeze and that would affect the cloths of everyone in the breeze. Just be careful where you position her in relation to the others. To me it works when she is exposed to the wind and the others are behind the building (or opposite side) and they are not exposed to the wind. The female figure and the old guy leaning into the wind could work together.

The seater guy in the last few photos does not work on the ledge (to me). When you sit on a ledge like that you'll let your legs relax and extend, toes pointed. His posture is more of someone on a crate or bench.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 04:41 PM UTC
Hi Scott,

Sorry, it's probably not clear in this thread. The figs are only for scale and interest at the moment, their eventual home will be else where. The Infantryman is the driver for the Tilly I'm making and the Wren wil be on the pier proper. Their is an additional thread with the proposed layout of the kits here

http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/forums/96208#796361

Thanks for the feedback.

Al
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 08:34 PM UTC
Very cool Alan. I see the underlayment in the new pictures. She looks good.
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 09:12 PM UTC
Ahoy Alan,

The stone work looks fine. There are many different textures and tones to stone
so it is not a question of what looks best.....anything goes.

I would maybe tone up the darker stone a little with a slight drybrushing of the
lighter color you used on the main wall and then possibly an ever so slight
wash (very diluted)of a medium grey/brunt umber mix to harmonize it all.

Keep up the great work mate!
Joe
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 10:12 PM UTC
Hi Kenny,

Thanks, only quick answer I could think off

Joe,

Many thanks, I'll do a bit more work over the coming weeks, there is a lot to do both inside and out.

Cheers

Al
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 10:18 PM UTC
Hi Alan

The progress shots look excellent - you're making it really real!
Another point that could make some more good effects:
- Consider some more "greenish growings" on the Northern face of the building;
- Smaller chipping on the railling (Lighthouse) near the stairs/steps (heavy duty area)
- The above mentioned chips sould not be rusted
- Lighthouses during day have curtains on the glased areas (although this would ruin the hipotesys of having it working (the Dio, of course))

Hope this helps
Skipper

PS: Read your PMs please
Cheers
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 10:25 PM UTC
Hi Skipper,

Thanks for the feedback, noted, although it might be a bit late for curtains now. Got you PM thanks.

Cheers

Al
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 10:33 PM UTC
well your thread begins to be a bit difficult to follow! so much is going on on your end
You say nobody knows how the lighthouse should look like in wartime? then go for it! keep your red and white they just look too good!
that's the good thing when you just can't find any ressources, you're *free*. Why do you believe I model Russian pre-soviet stuff
Thanks for telling for your Dunkirk book -looks good and HUGE.
And sure there is some good dio ideas there.. I would see Brits swimming amongst debris while a small boat would try and make them come aboard..
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 10:46 PM UTC
Hi jba,

I've been on the look out for a suitable small boat for the Dunkirk thingi. Unfortunately, as yet I haven't found one that's English enough, but there is the Med and the evacuation form Crete to consider as well .

Only info I could fine on war time Lighthouses was that the ones in Scotland were painted black. I have one artists picture from that period that shows one in a green and brown camo scheme but it was on the cost in a field which would be appropriate but not so in a small town harbour.

As they were civilian establlishments hard to say. I contacted the Lighthouse People here in England and that produced the one pic I've found but not much else.

I think the Red and White might be OK. I'll see what other feedback comes in. It gives it a bit of Wow rather than more grey stone,

Cheers

Al
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 10:56 PM UTC
Hey Al, the only issue I see with the red and white scheme is that if i am a Dornier pilot I say "ach gut, they pave the way, nun wehr sind meinen Bomben?"
brown/green camouflage could look cool too, but in way those colors wouldn't shine so well with the blue-grey schemes of your boats and the sea -So i think I would have leave the red and white which would definitely look good next to the rest of the stuff..
my 2 cents as always

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 11:28 PM UTC
Hi jba,

I had thought about have a couple of painters starting to paint the camo that way having the best of both worlds

Here's a picture from wartime Britain, not a ligthhouse but a pretty strong landmark.

I'm wondering if they only bothered on sites of high imprortance and maybe didn't worry too much about secondary things, like a small lighthouse in a small town.

I think a couple of painters maybe the answer even if it is a bit late in the war.

Cheers

Al
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 12:51 AM UTC
I kind of like the red and white on the lighthouse. It will make the layout much more colorful. But, I think that in the real scheme of things it would have been painted over. What you could do is splash some grey in an area and have a couple of guys with long handled brooms painting it.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 12:59 AM UTC
Hi Steve,

That's the plan at the moment.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 09:20 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

some further work on the building. I have given the twoer a second coat and a first wash but the effects are a bit lost in the sunlight.

Have done some work on the railings, added some lead to the dome roof and darkened it down a lot and I have done some more work on the wooden areas. I need to decide if I should leave the Light as is and weather it down more or give it a coat of white gloss and then weather it down?

All thoughts and comments welcome.

Al

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:42 PM UTC
Fisherman's Hut

Here's a pic of the building I'm going to use as the fisherman's hut. It's the Plus Model Tobacco stand. Very basic building 4 walls a roof and a window.

I'll have to add a few thing to the inside but most of the interest will be outside around the hut and on the roof.

I was going to do the roof as felt held down by strips of wood. Did they have felt in WW2?

Oh and here's a picture of the progress on the Tilly.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2007 - 07:16 PM UTC
Hi Folks,

Been a while since I posted on this one. Some updates. The Tilly is pretty much finished apart from the load for the back.

I've got some office type furniture for the 1st floor, maps/charts and family pics to do, and some engineering type bits for the Genny room too. I've been pre-occupied with periscope guards/crews and armoured pictures and also quite busy at work.

That said I have quite a few small items gathered up that I will be getting on with over the next week or two

Paul aka nato 308 made me lots of great printables which I'll have to give some thought too.

The Fisherman's hut has had a bit more woodwork done on it, buit no major progess for about two weeks now as I've been re-working some armour stuff.

Well if I get off the computer I might get a bit done

Cheers

Al
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2007 - 07:28 PM UTC
hey Al, did you notice that the big difference between a diorama and a computer is that when you just doa mistake you can't press Ctrl+Z
Nice little car !
btw, i like the carpet on the previous pics!
keep on being productive!!

JB
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2007 - 07:32 PM UTC
Hi jba,

Thanks. The carpet was a contribution form Glenn in the original build.

Backspace or delete would be a handy function when modelling especially for me lol, lol.

Cheers.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 10:00 AM UTC
Hi folks or shoudl I say JBA

I finally decided what I want to do with the 1st floor.

This has been quite difficult to figure out. But I'm leaning towards the following:

A small radio area with some filing cabinets, typewriter, telescope and civilian radio. There will be a No 19 Radio set and equipment on top of the table, with a couple of books. I need to replace the clock that got damaged in the plastering and put something else on the rounded tower wall.

By the stove I have only a couple of small wooden benches, some logs, a bucket of coal and there will be some household stuff, cups, a coffe pot, boiling pan etc. On the walls I plan to put a couple of small pics.

On the plain wall next to the radio section I will put a sea chart/map on the wall.

If I put in some hangers then a few helmets, and bits of personal equipment might give enough interest.

Having to plaster the walls buggered up my original wooden paint scheme and it's not quite back to what I want.

This is an odd shapped space to think about, but I hope you approve of the general idea.

I'll probably put a poster of some sort on the top of the door. I have looked at early office furniture and most of it is of wooden construction. However, I've tried this and it's just too much wood and as best I can find out metal filing cabinets have been around since the early 1900s if not before. The grey also helps give some contrast to the dark wood which is quite over powering.

This I hope will represent a temporary command and comntrol centre in an other wise civilian building. A couple of as yet unidentified figures will complete the scene and one or two stacked boxes. With the top section and windows in place I think this would do.

Shay thanks for the little radios, they are great.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome:

Radio Area

Stove area

These are some of the wonderful posters I'll be able to use on the project thanks to Paul.

I was thnkinng that they would be just pasted to the wall and a run of 3 roughy square with a couple below at off angles might work.

Pin ups on the filing cabinate and one of Shay's excellent early radios

A Poster for the door?

Other elements still pending:

Food for the lads - the Fordson Mobile Canteen

Cheers

Al
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Model Shipwrights: 214 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 10:20 AM UTC

Bows in reverence!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 11:07 AM UTC
Hi Murdo,

Thanks for looking, hope all's going well with you.

Sailor question

I was building these chaps for one of my Shermans but then I got to thinking that with not too much work they might be easily convertible to RN Sailors in boilersuits???

Any thoughts on that one?

Al
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Model Shipwrights: 214 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 11:44 AM UTC
Yep, I would say that they look like typical RN to me.

You need to add some Rum, fags, excellent food and very comfortable beds though.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 12:37 PM UTC
Alan, that's looking super. I love the finish on the top of the lighthouse. The 1st floor office is really taking shape.

~Gator
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 05:50 PM UTC
Hi Murdo.

Thanks, I went looking for reference pics of RN overalls after I posted this one, and so far it would seem they wore a pocketless grey/blue type. Only major problem I see converting these guys would be the belt which is clearly absent in the RN pics I've seen so far. However that has spawned an idea about a couple of mechanics I saw who I'll go and track down that might fit the bull more acurately.

Message flags for the pole are on the list lol, lol. Food is organised, now a hammock therer's an idea!!!

Hi Kenny, again thanks for taking the time to reply. Long way to go yet on the buiiling, although the dome is done apart from the radio antenna. Just need to finish off the weathering on the paint and railings.on the light bell itself, then it's into the Genny room with some tools and general oily things.

Cheers

Al