_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
HMS Belfast 1942 Trumpeter 1/350
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 02:13 AM UTC
Very nice Jan,

Looks to me that field test work properly well.

Looking forward to seeing the rigging progress

Top job mate

Cheers

Si
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 10:10 PM UTC
Thank you very much Mike!!

- yes, those Master 'installation' for the 6" is really a great improvement! I can highly recommend it!
As for your question regarding the USS Missouri, I don't know of any jig there, but I would not exclude it. For myself, it's quite a while back that I did a one-on-one exchange of barrels for main artillery - that is, because my last major project had blast bags, which makes a whole different story.
But I remember somebody showing a very interesting approach that I want to try whenever I have to do this next time: it was, not to cut the molded plastic barrels early on, but instead drill the holes for the replacement barrels on the opposite site of the model barrels. Then install the brass barrels - this gives you the chance to align them better (and another 'handle' for the whole thing). Only when the brass barrels are aligned and glued into place, cut the plastic ones. Don't recall where I saw this, but it sounds good to me!

Thank you very much Si,

and thanks a lot for your help mate!! Somehow, I had the wrong idea in my head. Copper wire works fine!! That's exactly what is needed for this fragile masts. Here are two pictures of my first attempt of 'real' rigging and glued, before cutting to length the wire in front. From what I could find, the main mast has a rather basic rig, so a good point to start. (Ensign will be the last thing to be added - somehow that's a 'must' for me, hoisting the ensign as a sign of commissioning...)

More to follow, probably Sunday or Monday...

Cheers,
Jan
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 04:08 PM UTC
And off we go with the final update

- I did commission her yesterday, will be posting the pictures of that sometime later on

So the rigging turned out a hybrid between copper wire and EZ Line. Copper worked perfectly fine for all shorter parts, and all vertical parts of the rig. No tension at all, that made some parts of the rigging possible that I would not have dared otherwise.
However - the six long wires spanning between for- and mainmast didn't work out as I desired, they were coming out, well - uneven, if that makes sense? - so I removed them and resorted to EZ line for those. Maybe a little more working with copper will get me there...

So here are the pictures of my rigging enterprise:

That's it on the work in progress, the final pictures should follow shortly

Cheers,
Jan

TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 04:47 PM UTC
Looking pretty darn good from here Jan! Well worth the effort you're putting into it!!
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 08:02 PM UTC
Gentlemen,

here we go: the White Ensign is hoisted up and flying! HMS Belfast is commissioned from JJ's Shipyard, in just under a year of building time and finished in time for the Cruiser's Campaign!

Before I shut up here and leave you with a bunch of pictures from my latest project, just a few closing comments.

First of all, and most important - thank you very much to all of you who followed my build, for looking in, and most of all for your comments, your encouragement and your patience with my - at times - glacier speed of building (well that 'glacier speed building' expression was stolen, from Russ I believe... ) Your constant support and encouragement made a real difference, not only at times when progress was slow, but at all times!

Second, on the model and the kit - this is a fine kit and real fun to build throughout!! Complex at times, but a well fit overall, and supported by the WEM PE and a wooden deck, and some 'extras', this builds into a real fine model, and overall it was a year of building fun! The ships looks surprisingly busy and compact when finished, really packed full of stuff and details. Overall - highly recommended!

But now, let the pictures talk!!
I hope you like her, and as always, all comments welcome and highly appreciated!!
Thanks for looking in, thanks again for your support, and: Enjoy!!

Cheers,
Jan

RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 03:01 AM UTC
Top Job Jan,

That is a real top quality piece of work. Congratulations on commissioning.

I raise my glass!

Cheers

Si
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 03:10 AM UTC
I concur with Si!

I raise my glass to you Jan!

congratulations on your commissioning of this master class of model making! Well done, mate! This one deserves to be on the top shelf!

Don't worry about your glacial pace, it's still quicker than mine

Look forward to your next build log-in the meantime am quietly watching the Dive campaign so won't get too much withdrawal symptoms from not seeing your build posts
GrantGoodale
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 99 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 05:34 AM UTC
Very impressive work.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Model Shipwrights: 154 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 06:53 AM UTC
Beautiful work Jan, congratulations on getting the build done!
Following your build thread here was one of the major inspirations for me to get started on my project, and seeing the end result just takes it to the next level.

Cheers, D
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 07:24 AM UTC
Well done Jan! Congratulation on getting her to the finish!! Jst some really solid work on this...you should be proud! Couple pints...a little rest....back on that horse! Thanks for sharing the build...been a treat to see her unfold!
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 09:33 AM UTC
Gentlemen,

I am deeply honored!! Thank you all so much for your kind words, on the Belfast and on the build log! It really makes me happy that I could serve as an inspiration...

Your support and sticking with me for the time can't be valued enough, you gave me that kind of motivation needed to bring her to Commissioning! Thank you again!

Cheers all - well, not quite yet, it's Monday morning and a full 'real life work week' ahead of me, but there will be time for !!

Jan
mgrummitt
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
Model Shipwrights: 105 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 11:40 PM UTC
Bravo!! Well Done Sir!

Great job and I am looking forward to your next project too!

Cheers!

Mike
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 03:10 AM UTC
Hi Jan,
Just returned to see Belfast has raised it's ensign and set sail.
Fantastic effort and a joy to follow along your build. You always have plenty of ideas I can "borrow". I am looking forward to see what you are going to float next!

cheers

Michael
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 04:39 PM UTC
Thank you very much, gentlemen!!

Mike, sorry for my delayed reply, I was away for some days. Thanks indeed!!

Thank you Michael, for your very kind words!! - as for my next project, it's floating only part time I am doing a 1/350 VII C sub on the silent service campaign, aiming for a quick, easy and fun build - it must not take too long. The next major one is already waiting - I'll be doing HMS Hood for the Bismarck campaign, 1/350 Trumpeter kit with a bunch of extras, that will most likely take me through the year of the Bismarck campaign

Cheers,

Jan
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 11:37 AM UTC
Top work, Jan - she's absolutely beautiful!

Bring on the Hood!
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2016 - 09:27 AM UTC
Thank you very much Tim!! That's very kind of you!!

The Hood's box is already in sight but first I'll finish my little sub. Looking forward to the Hood, though. She has been waiting in my stash for several years now...

Cheers,
Jan
mgrummitt
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 133 posts
Model Shipwrights: 105 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2016 - 06:27 PM UTC
No worries Jan, we are all busy!

Looking forward to the Hood build!

Mike
warshipbuild
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 222 posts
Model Shipwrights: 207 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2016 - 06:56 PM UTC
Top job Jan - just like your Repulse log.

Jan, I am hoping that you do not mind me asking -

Now, does anyone know if there is any way of saving/archiving this thread - it is an invaluable reference.

I have Repulse,Belfast, Hood and many others in my stash which I have been steadily collecting since 2006. Jan's build logs would be of great use to me if I only knew how to save everything.
Any suggestions?
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2016 - 11:38 PM UTC
Thanks Mike, great to have you in for the Hood!! (not even started yet...)

Thank you very much Dave!! Your remark/question makes me blush, I'm deeply honored. I am more than happy if my build logs can be of some help or serve as a reference - just I have not the slightest clue as how to save or download them from here. If it is possible or can be made possible / accessible, it is my honor!

Cheers,
Jan
 _GOTOTOP