Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
HMS Belfast 1942 Trumpeter 1/350
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 - 09:29 AM UTC
Hi all,

thank you very much for your kind comments!!

Tom, in general I agree with you, that should work - but than again I think, the defectors make a big difference in the overall appearance of the ship!

Thank you Si for the hint to the cruisers book - I found some copies on the internet, around 80 GBP that I was ready to spend on UK sites, but no delivery to Germany from those speciality bookstores...and from German dealers it starts at some 160 €...well, I'll keep a sharp look at that, maybe there's something reasonable somewhere...

And now it's my last day at the office, plane goes tomorrow, and I can't say how much I am looking forward to California and the pacific coast
I just love that area, especially a little up to the north, starting with Big Sur and than all the way up to the redwoods....

For now, thanks all for your support and the very nice discussions here, and this build log will continue, but I'll have to ask your patience for a couple of weeks!!

Cheers,

Jan
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 - 08:03 PM UTC
Good luck with your hunt Jan,

I think I paid around £110 for my copy from that well known auction site about 10 years ago, and in my opinion worth every penny.

Cheers

Si
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 - 08:38 PM UTC
Jan,

I wish you safe travels on your way to the west coast. I do hope you enjoy your time in California. My only experience with California is NTC so I am sure you will have a better time than I did.

Regarding your book search, since your going to be in California so long it might be comething you can have shipped to the hotel at the lower cost you mentioned earlier. Just a though.

Dave
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 07:45 AM UTC
Am really liking what I see with your build Jan.....Cheers mark
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 08:04 PM UTC
Enjoy California Jan. If you get a chance rent a car and drive up or down the coast along PCH, Pacific Coast Highway. It's one of the most beautiful drives I know.

Also as to the book I believe there are some very good used books stores in San Francisco. If you can get the time to go up there you may be able to find it.
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2015 - 05:07 AM UTC
Hi all,

thank you very much for your kind comments and remarks - and I can assure you, I am enjoying California. The place and the area is somewhat familiar to me, I spent my holidays here three times over the last 15 years or so - but never had the opportunity to stay here that long
I do have a car - I booked a cheap one back in Germany - not really intending to use it but looking to discuss an upgrade once at the rental car station. Well, I got a reasonable offer for an upgrade. Trying to pick up the car, they didn't have that. They didn't have one class above, either. So I ended up with a luxury SUV with all rings and bells you can imagine and I enjoy 'my' V8 that I could never drive back home...life's hard sometimes...

As for the book, that's a good idea Rodger - just I am very close to my maximum allowed luggage...have to see about that...these books tend to be heavy...

Well, I have to hurry up to a wine tasting, not sure when they close...again, life IS hard

Cheers for now

Jan
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2015 - 07:06 AM UTC
Glad to hear you are having a good time so far here in the states!! Nice job with the upgrade on the vehicle! LOL! Hope you enjoyed the wine!! Keep having fun!!
Blespooky
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 277 posts
Model Shipwrights: 171 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2015 - 06:04 PM UTC
Jan you have hijacked your own thread with this California torture.

I know its taking second place now but you've made a nice start on another great ship.

Enjoy the California Dreaming.

Bryan
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 10:05 PM UTC
All right then, back to 'reality' again.... time was flying by and I can hardly believe that everything is over already - however, trying to find my HMS Belfast build log proofed that it's quite some time ago since my last posts

But now, back in Germany, jet lag survived and the first two weeks in office likewise, the shipyard resumed operations eventually - thank you all for your patience and bearing with me so far, I hope you'll continue watching HMS Belfast. And it's just a few weeks before the Cruiser Campaign starts

Now what could be a better start than sanding, priming and more sanding...?!?

Next is my approach to the waterline marking - I start with a broad, almost black stripe around the hull.

I'll give this a chance to really cure - the Tamiya acrylics are dry to the touch pretty quick, but this black stripe will be covered with masking tape for a considerable time. I will use 6 mm masking tape for the stripe, which equals just a little more than two meters in 1/350 scale. Two meters is a good average measure for the waterline markings on bigger warships, even for today's frigates it's quite okay. More on that with the next update.

While the hull dries, some work started on the superstructure. The main forward and aft superstructure comes in a single molded piece. First, all portholes are drilled out and the scuttles and doors are sanded so that they are still visible to leave me a marking as to where to attach the PE parts later on.

Some quite interesting construction work required on X turret's barbette:

The fit is not perfect, but fair enough - nothing the some surfacer could not fix...

And finally for today the whole thing, just fitted for effect - starts looking like a cruiser...

So much for today, more soon!

Now I'll have some work to do in catching up with what's been going on here, I have been following only occasionally, but enough to realize that some great work has been accomplished on many projects - I apologize for not commenting over the last weeks. I'll do better from now on!!

For now,

Cheers and thanks for stopping by,

Jan
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 10:47 PM UTC
Jan,

Welcome home and welcome back. Your Belfast is coming along well. Looking forward to watching as your progress forward

Dave
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 02:30 AM UTC
Welcome back, Jan!

Hope you had a lovely time in California!

Now back to work and the 'real world' hey?

Great to see work resume on the Belfast! Have missed seeing updates on her!

Russ
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 09:26 AM UTC
Dave and Russ,

thank you very much!!

Yes, back to real world, work and all those things, and honestly, a couple of times over the last two weeks, trying to get a grip on all those things that had accumulated in the office during my 'California time', I asked myself "why the heck did I board that plane back??"

Anyway, getting some work done on Belfast over the weekend felt good and being back here and talking to you guys on MSW is fun, as well

I should get another update not later then Sunday, thanks for watching!

Cheers,

Jan
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2015 - 12:03 AM UTC
A quick update - found some time for the shipyard today so on with the waterline marking. I do have some 5.9 mm masking tape from somewhere, no-name product, but 5.9 mm is even better for the purpose than 6 mm, its almost exactly 2 m in 1/350 scale. So I use this tape to create a yellow waterline

This way I can create a very straight marking, and I don't have to worry about parallel lines or 'alternating' thickness of this stripe over the length of the ship. And you can adjust the tape several times until satisfied with the position. While I don't think it will ever be perfect, from my experience with Repulse and Prince of Wales I am very satisfied with the outcome.

Now this yellow waterline will stay until the entire camouflage of the hull is done...

But for now starting with some hull red. Not exactly hull red that is, but rather 4 parts Tamiya XF-9 hull red and 1 part X-7 red. Why the glossy X-7? Because I bought it in error some time back, and in my 4:1 mixture it looks all right

So much for today, next update will take me little longer...

Thanks for looking,

Cheers

Jan

Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2015 - 12:28 AM UTC
Nice to have you back Jan and the progress on the Belfast looks good so far, keep at it
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2015 - 02:33 AM UTC
very nice, Jan
Blespooky
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 277 posts
Model Shipwrights: 171 posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2015 - 03:30 PM UTC
Welcome Back Jan,

Good job getting back into the Belfast after your trying and mentally taxing work in California, I like that bootstripe method, consider it stolen.

I will following closely,
Bryan

warshipbuild
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 222 posts
Model Shipwrights: 207 posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2015 - 03:44 PM UTC
Yes, welcome back.
I have been missing this build, great work.
Am following this one closely.
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2015 - 11:08 PM UTC
Thank you all very much for your kind comments, actually it's fun to be back at the workbench, and after such a long time 'underway', some normal and 'real' life is not too bad, either

Bryan, you are very welcome steeling the bootstripe approach, I'm happy you like it!!

Cheers

Jan
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 08:39 AM UTC
Ahoy Jan

Welcome back!

Great to see some progress happening.

Cheers

Sean
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 03:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jan, I'm following along as well, I have the kit in my stash waiting for the after market guys to get some stuff out. I also got the anatomy book on the Belfast. What is wrong with the kit stacks?

Tom

The kit stacks are the wrong shape for the period it is supposed to represent.

Now that WEM are back in business keep an eye out for a re-release of all the Belfast resin stuff.

Coming along nicely Jan. I built this one about 18 months ago and left everything in the nude to show the WEM PE fit. It is on this site if you want to have a look.

Cheers
Warren
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 09:36 AM UTC
Thank you Sean, and Warren!

And Warren - I did follow your 'naked build' at the time, it might have been before I started to actively contribute here, but nevertheless I was looking closely at what you were doing, since you were using the same WEM PE that I will be using. I remember that I checked my HACS antennas on the fret but mine seem to be ok .
I am still not sure that the kit's stacks are wrong for the early period, say 1944 and before (have to look up what year the major refit was, can't remember out of my head) - at least it looks like that in the Anatomy book... I will surely use your build log as a guideline!!

Thanks for looking!!

Cheers,

Jan
berndm
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 844 posts
Model Shipwrights: 151 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 11:44 PM UTC
That looks very nice,i will follow this with interest, i like this ship, since i have build the Airfux kit in 1/600 scale, some 20 years ago.
The Trumpeter kit rides quite high on my wish list.
Hope your way to mask the bord line on the hull will work better than on my efforts.

Cheers
Bernd
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 11:31 PM UTC
Thank you Bernd for your kind comment and following my build - that is much appreciated!

And one more update, it's time for fifty,...ahmm, well some shades of grey

After masking the lower hull with 40mm tape - great, that's doing it for BELFAST, for PoW and Repulse I had to use additional sheets of paper to mask the hull... - I sprayed the whole upper hull in the lightest grey, 507C. Waiting one day to make sure everything is proper and dry, the work on the camouflage starts.

Here's the stuff I used. Particularly helpful was the masking sheet with 1mm-sqaures printed on from Tamiya. I found those on a fare, the sheets are 17 x 23 cm usable size, and a pack of 5 was about € 10. So not exactly a bargain, but with my experience from today, I have to say it's worth every cent!

Trumpi's paint scheme for the hull is actually not all that far away from Alan Raven's reference, so I used both as a guidance.
Well, to be honest, I am not looking for a fraction of a mm here, I am shooting to get the right impression over all, so yes, this is not a 100% reproduction of the paint scheme. But then again - how was the scheme really looking back in 1942/43? References differ, so let's go and just do it!

Measuring, drawing with a 2B pencil, comparing to the model's hull, and cutting...so here's the first part:

and on the hull:

The stern part:

With that, all required masking for the port side is done, now it's just a question of careful using the airbrush. The light blue-grey B6 applied:

A simple sticky helps masking 'on the go':

Port side done - this is so much simpler than the good old PoW - I wonder why...have to double-check wether the paint scheme was some much more complicated or if it was just because PoW was my first approach with these paint schemes...

Over to starboard - again a little planning saves time and masking sheet - I sprayed the bow up to about where A turret will sit in B5. This saves a full step of spraying/masking

Starboard side, all required masking done.

And color on. Always beginning with the lighter colors working towards the darker ones (B6 - B5 - 507A). The vertical line amidships was again done with the help of my little sticky.

So that's the starboard side done:

And now...having dinner, a glass of nice wine and waiting for the colors to get dry enough to remove the masking. Almost like christmas - big surprise and you hope it's what you wished for

But I would say, that's fair enough!! Yes, there is some work to do, some little overspraying here and there, a few rough lines and a few tiny areas were the paint suffered from the masking, but that was expected.

To be honest, it turned out way better than I expected, so I am very happy
So here are some more detailed pictures including all the areas that need some further attention:

So let's say there is definitively nothing that worries me. Nothing that can't be fixed either just with the hairy stick or in some ares by partially masking and spraying, but all minor stuff.

All in all, I am really happy with the way the hull came out. I was a little concerned that the 507A would give a to dark impression overall, and was wondering wether it was meant to be 507A or B5 in some areas, but I think it looks all right the way it does.

And that's how I will start into the cruisers campaign on 01 August. Not much time next week and away from the shipyard next weekend, so my next update will be the start of the campaign.
Si, I hope that's all right?? I think it's definitely less than 20% done, and I won't be finishing her in the next weeks.... But I should be able to finish in time for the campaign! And should I really be much faster than I anticipate, I will do another cruiser - promised

For now,

cheers and thanks for looking!!

Jan

RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 08:53 AM UTC
Fantastic update, Jan!

And lots of photos too! Thank you for posting.

The disruptive scheme looks great!

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 08:16 PM UTC
I see you used Tamiya 6mm masking tape for the boot line. Convenient. Do you use the same thickness for all 1/350 models? Too bad Tamiya doesn't make a thinner width that could be used in 1/700.