General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Build blog for Heller's HMS Victory
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 06:20 AM UTC
By the way, here's how a raw umber artist's oil wash looks over an acrylic tan-painted deck on my Niña build:
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 496 posts
Model Shipwrights: 404 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 10:07 PM UTC

Hiya Jan,

Thanks for amplifying your post! AFter reading yours and Tim's responses, I remembered, too, reading about how someone took a very sharp pencil, and just used the pencil lead to highlight some deck planking details - maybe I'll go that route!

Thanks again!

Tim
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 10:12 PM UTC
Thanks, Tim. I don't know if I'd try any paint that is oil-based, as I've been using acrylic paints on the model.
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 12:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks, Tim. I don't know if I'd try any paint that is oil-based, as I've been using acrylic paints on the model.

Even better - any oils you use won't attack the acrylic base paints, so if you don't like it you can just remove the wash with turpentine and try again.

Although I've found a thin oil application to be an easy and effective way to show depth, highlighting with pencil can work too.
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 09:34 PM UTC
What kind of oil? A long time ago, I used some 3-in-1 oil on the landing gear of an F4U Corsair, and managed to melt the plastic!
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 02:27 AM UTC
Anyone got the number for Idiots Anonymous? I just spilled a jar of black paint on white carpet...
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 08:23 AM UTC
(grousegrousegrousegrousePHOTOBUCKETgrousegrousegrouse)

Well, I was hoping to upload a photo of my latest mistakes, but Photobucket appears to be enjoying the holiday weekend.

My mistakes? Well, I glued the first set of deadeyes on the port side inside out, and I found that the ratline was not long enough to around the upper deadeye. So the ratline problem was an easy fix; I decided to keep deadeyes installed incorrectly, because the cement was in that stage of not yet hardened, but still "gluey" enough to keep the plastic soft, and I figured if I pulled the deadeyes out, I'd just have a bigger mess on my hands. Not that it matters, of the deadeyes I've installed, they all look like crap. One problem I'm finding on the lower ratlines is that the thickness of the thread doesn't fit neatly around the deadeye; it sometimes slips off the deadeye, and the ratline shroud actually gets caught in the roving of the deadeyes. So for the last couple of deadeyes, I'm cutting off the flange that goes around the upper deadeye, so that there is a wider surface for the ratline shroud to attach to. Getting the painting on the lower foremast done; paint, dry, sand smooth, repeat.

I'll post that pic as soon as I can. (And maybe even some more!)

Update 4 July: So here's the picture:

Update 13 Jul: So, the above pic is NOT of my ship, but Photobucket is wanting me to upgrade my account so that I am able to do third party hosting. I haven't seen what kind of offer they're making.
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2017 - 07:14 AM UTC
Can anyone recommend a fairly inexpensive airbrush system? Today, I had the bright idea of spray painting the rest of the masts, instead of painting them by brush. It looks like Testor's doesn't make their Insignia Yellow paint in a spray can, so I might have to pony up the bucks and get some airbrush equipment. Otherwise, it'll be the 22nd century before I get this danged thing finished.
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 11:37 PM UTC
Calamities of calamities! My favorite hobby shop has gone out of business. Guess I'll be spending my money on Amazon for future supplies.

In other news, I see that Testor's makes a small airbrush system - the initial kit costs about 22 bucks. Maybe Michael's will have a 50% off coupon I can use.
GrantGoodale
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 99 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 05:47 AM UTC
Tim -

If you are going to use mail order, I have had very good dealing with Freetime Hobbies.

FWIW
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2017 - 03:38 AM UTC
Thanks, Grant. I'm guessing their website is www.freetimehobbies.com? And how would you rate their selection?
GrantGoodale
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 04:17 AM UTC
Their selection was always adequate for me. While you are there, check out their Uschi (sp?) rigging thread. Great stuff that behaves like EZ Line but in much finer sizes.
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 07:11 AM UTC
Thanks, Grant. I'll take a look-see at their site.

On another note, (and this is addressed to all), are there any free websites out there where I can put my photos, so I can link from that site to here? Photobucket is telling me that I'm in violation of their ToS, inasmuch that they don't allow what they call "3rd party hosting" (if they don't allow it, why do they have links to explain the process??!!??). Anyway, anyone know of any websites that can free hosting? I see at the bottom of this entry page, there is an "upload photo(s)" link, but does that just copy the photo into the blog post? Or maybe I should just try a copy & paste to my posts? Any suggestions?
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 - 12:29 AM UTC
Hi Tim,

I'm using imageshack, they had a free offer that I used for some years and than decided to pay for their service, its about a 60/year if I'm not mistaken, but I think they still offer free service. Works fine for me.

(btw Uschi is correct spelling, Uschi van der Rosten he calls himself, German modeler, makes good stuff)

Cheers,
Jan
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 04:17 AM UTC
Thanks, Jan. I'm going to check what kind of price Photobucket wants, and do some comparison shopping.

Not much going on with the ship's construction. I found some "aged concrete" paint, and am trying to dry-brush the hammocks with it. Definitely a work in progress!
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2017 - 11:14 PM UTC
Well, not much to report. I checked what Photobucket is moaning and groaning about, and for me to continue to use them as a host for pictures, they want 500 bucks a year (or was it 400?) to continue hosting. As much as I like taking the pics and posting them, it ain't worth that kind of money.

I've taken to painting the upper parts of the foremast and mainmast; since these are cylindrical in shape, it should be quite easy to paint (by brush) and sand smooth. For the lower fore and mainmast, I went out and got Testor's airbrush kit ($22 retail price, but the store had a 50% off coupon, so I think I got a good bargain at 11 dollars.) The kit comes with a can of compressed air, so I just have to add the paint. I realized also, that, as soon as I finish painting the masts, I should be done painting with the yellow paint ( ), so that will be some sure progress!!

I've also taken to reading parts of Longridge's book. He writes about building the masts in segments, much like Heller's instructions allude to. In building each mast in segments, it makes sense to do this, as installing some of the lower stays and yardarm collars will be a lot easier without having to fight around any previously installed rigging.

As always, thanks for reading!
JSSVIII
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 40 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 03:24 AM UTC
Timothy, try Imgur, I like it very much, it's simple to use, and no annoying ads like PB.
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 09:50 PM UTC
Hi John,

Thanks for the tip. I just looked through their website, and under their ToS, in the "stuff not to do" area, it specifically mentions not using imgur to host photos that hotlinked to a 3rd party - under threat of banishment from imgur, and banishment of the hotlinked site. Besides, it looks like anything that is uploaded is just randomly on their webpage; at least with PB, I get to organize stuff into libraries.

I'm thinking of just getting a website from godaddy, and try to use that as a photo server. I guess this whole endeavor is going to take some more research!!
JSSVIII
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 40 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 04:10 AM UTC
I didn't see that Timothy, thanks for pointing that out. Looks Like I'll have to look for another site.
GrantGoodale
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 06:40 AM UTC
The following info was posted on Hyperscale:

----------------------------------------------------------
Some direct links to get extensions for Firefox and Chrome browsers to delete the PB ransom demand and restore the original image:

Firefox extension https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-embedded-fix/?src=search

Chrome extension https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-embed-fix/naolkcpnnlofnnghnmfegnfnflicjjgj?hl=en

This is a painless exercise, it simply adds an extension to the browser and doesn't alter anything in your account or computer registry. Thanks to rubenandres77 on the RevellAtions forum for the heads up to this fix.
----------------------------------------------------------

My thanks to Mark J. Davies on Hyperscale.

timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 09:45 PM UTC
Hiya Grant,

Thanks for posting those links. For me, though, it doesn't solve the basic problem: finding a photo server that allows me to hotlink to/from MWS. I can still get to my original photos on PB in my account; it's just linking them to another website is the problem.
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 10:16 PM UTC
Hello all,

Well, in my search for an alternate to PB, I found this web page that lists some alternatives:

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/02/photobucket-alternatives-for-third-party/

In it, one of the alternates listed is flickr, to which I have an account. But I'm not sure of what they mean about the external site linking back to flickr, so that details of the photo can be seen. Maybe I can experiment this weekend.

Over in the "building a wooden ship" blog, a user suggested using Kitmaker's photo storage area to host photos. For me, however, it won't allow me to upload any more photos (and I think I've only uploaded about 10 or so photos, each one being about 384 kb in size).

So if any one has any experience with any of the alternative sites listed in that link, please share your results & evaluations with us!

I'm going to ask the editorial staff about this whole situation, and see if they have any ideas/comments.

And now, on a totally different topic, did anybody (besides me!) watch Ohio State beat up on Indiana? They did the same thing last year - let the opposition roll in the first half, then come back in the 3rd quarter and plaster the competition. If it's their strategy, it's a bit scary - I'm used to the Woody Hayes' way, which was to run the score up in the first half, struggle through the third quarter, and then coast in the 4th quarter. Go Bucks!!
Removed by original poster on 09/06/17 - 18:31:48 (GMT).
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 06:24 PM UTC
Test of cubeupload hosting site.

http://cubeupload.com/im/timmyp/USSConstitution.jpg

http://u.cubeupload.com/timmyp/USSConstitution.jpg

Hmmm. Not exactly what I was hoping for (was hoping the image would be pasted here into the blog), but it's a start.
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 10:42 PM UTC
Well, it looks like there's been a few views since my last post, but no comments. I just noticed that, from my workplace, the link, in the previous post, that starts with "u.xxxxx" takes me to the image, but the link on top gives me some kind of security warning page. I don't recall if I've tried these links from home, so I'm not sure if both of them will work from home.

So news about the ship: haven't done anything with it in a week or more, and I'm still sanding and repainting the mast parts for the fore & main. I think I'm getting close to being done! I haven't done anything to get the airbrushing started on the lower parts of those two masts - I've had to deal with some parts of my car that are rusting off, so my attention has been pointed towards that. (Plus, my lawn sprinkler system has sprung a leak, so there's another minor irritation). I've also gone back to working on the "p" blocks - finishing putting a groove down the middle, as well as finishing the painting of them.

So thanks to everyone for stopping by and taking a look.