_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
HMS Agamemnon 1915. 1/350
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 - 03:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Fantastic job on this one so far! looking forward to more updates!

Thanks Mike,

Hope to get back to her shortly

Cheers

Si

I've just worked my way through this topic from the very beginning as I'm considering buying this kit. There are so many learnings here for a beginner!

I wonder, did you complete the kit? It was pretty much there but I'd love to see the completed diorama.

Hi Simon,

Unfortunately I have not yet managed to completer her, one or two problems working out actually building the nets being deployed, and it will involve undoing some of the work I have done.

I do intend to get back to her at some point and finish the job, I may just end up with the nets fully deployed.

Appreciate you looking in.

Thanks

Si
BedardJ
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2020 - 12:49 AM UTC
Hi. I have started the Agamemnon and was very inspired by your build, but have a few small questions.

1- where did you get the information on rigging?

2- you show the upper boatdeck brown, but the kit's guide has them as grey. Did this change with time?

3- The rigging on the stacks is made of fine wire, right? What gage did you use?

4- Some of the drums (J28) on the main deck (not sure what they really are because the kit names none of the parts) you made wood-coloured, which makes sense. But i can't make out what colour the coiled stuff is (hose? cable?). Ditto for the winches? J27. you show them as a grey frame with copper coloured 'cable'?

5- You speak of coal scuttles. here too, what parts are they? or are these the small dimples spotted around the deck?

I know you have other stuff to do, but these questions have been nagging me ever since i opened the box.

so thanks in advance for your guidance

Jean
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2020 - 08:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi. I have started the Agamemnon and was very inspired by your build, but have a few small questions.

1- where did you get the information on rigging?

2- you show the upper boatdeck brown, but the kit's guide has them as grey. Did this change with time?

3- The rigging on the stacks is made of fine wire, right? What gage did you use?

4- Some of the drums (J28) on the main deck (not sure what they really are because the kit names none of the parts) you made wood-coloured, which makes sense. But i can't make out what colour the coiled stuff is (hose? cable?). Ditto for the winches? J27. you show them as a grey frame with copper coloured 'cable'?

5- You speak of coal scuttles. here too, what parts are they? or are these the small dimples spotted around the deck?

I know you have other stuff to do, but these questions have been nagging me ever since i opened the box.

so thanks in advance for your guidance

Jean

Hi Jean,

Thank you for your kind words, to answer as best I can,

1, The Rigging information came from "British Battleships 1889 - 1904" by R.A. Burt. there is a very good diagram of HMS Lord Nelson's rigging in this period, and some photographs of the Agamemnon herself.

2.The boat deck colour, my research on that is somewhat inconclusive, I made the assumption in the end the decks would have had a non slip cortiene coating, which is the brown colour.

3. Rigging, the wire is use is nothing special, the gauge I cannot give as it is copper wire stripped out of old electrical appliances, I just use what looks right. (sorry)

4. The deck cable reels are moulded with canvas covers, which I painted light tan, and put a wash over them to make them look a bit used. The drums on winches look to be bare, so I painted then a steel colour and gave them a greasy coloured wash, hence they my look copper coloured in the photographs.

5. The coal scuttles, are the loading hatches for the coal bunkers, on this kit that are the small dimples moulded around the maindeck. the ones I used on the wood deck overlay came from the Pontos HMS Dreadnought set, I picked one up second hand, but White ensign models do a small fret of coal scuttles / coaling hatches (same thing) and also the spreaders for the cage aerials.

I hope this has been of use.

Cheers

Si
BedardJ
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2020 - 04:20 PM UTC
Totally. I saw the recent coal burner thing, but am about 50% through. Will upload photos at some stage if i can figure out how. Jean
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2020 - 06:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Totally. I saw the recent coal burner thing, but am about 50% through. Will upload photos at some stage if i can figure out how. Jean

Hi Jean,

Apologies, missed that you had commented.

All you need to add photos is an account with one of the image hosting websites, plenty of them are free. upload your images to that, that site will allow to link them to here.

Cheers

Si
 _GOTOTOP