Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
1/200 Nichimo Hatsuzuki build
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 - 03:47 AM UTC
Tim,

Maybe Alliance or Veterans model works may have something in resin. Their 1/350 scale items are very nicely detail.

Mark
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 - 04:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tim,

Maybe Alliance or Veterans model works may have something in resin. Their 1/350 scale items are very nicely detail.

Mark

I wish they did, Mark, but so far no joy for these in 1/200. I'm sure they'll release something right after I scratchbuild replacements!
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 - 01:59 PM UTC
Other details added to the ‘midships AA platforms include photoetched doors from the Tom’s Modelworks 1/200 IJN Doors set (No. 2017) on the platform column supports, as well as these little parts:

There were eight of these located throughout the ship; I had supposed them to be ribbed gas canisters.

As it turns out, they were actually mooring fenders in stowage racks, as seen in this postwar view of Harutzuki.

Realizing this, I thought the rack detail looked mushy, so I scraped it off and replaced it with scap bits of 1/400 scale etched railing bent to shape.

Better!
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 - 02:21 AM UTC
Tim,
I’ve been following along, “at a distance”, not because I’m particularly interested in Japanese WWII destroyers, but you’re one of those guys who whenever they open up a blog, you just know it’s going to be good. I finally decided it was time to comment. Your “fender” rack and it’s tiny size is impressive. I think I’d have just glued it on and been done with it, but you always go that extra step with exquisite detail. You’ve taken a part no bigger than a grain of rice (maybe even smaller) and managed to add detail. This is why I’m following, just to see what you come up with next! Keep up the great work!
VR, Russ
bwiber
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 436 posts
Model Shipwrights: 31 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 - 07:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ok.... going to settle in to watch the magic happen...

Bob

Well Bob, I don't know how magic it will be...

Take a look at that smoke stack.... and tell me that the magic isn't happening. Yes, sometimes magic is disguised as a lot of hard work, but it is magic never the less...

Definitely enjoying both your modeling, and the information exchange.

Bob
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 - 09:17 AM UTC
Great attention to the Details, Tim

PS. I agree, the stuff printed on shapeways is no comparison to 3d resin prints...
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 02:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tim,

I’ve been following along, “at a distance”, not because I’m particularly interested in Japanese WWII destroyers, but you’re one of those guys who whenever they open up a blog, you just know it’s going to be good. I finally decided it was time to comment. Your “fender” rack and it’s tiny size is impressive. I think I’d have just glued it on and been done with it, but you always go that extra step with exquisite detail. You’ve taken a part no bigger than a grain of rice (maybe even smaller) and managed to add detail. This is why I’m following, just to see what you come up with next! Keep up the great work!

VR, Russ

Quoted Text

...Take a look at that smoke stack.... and tell me that the magic isn't happening. Yes, sometimes magic is disguised as a lot of hard work, but it is magic never the less...

Definitely enjoying both your modeling, and the information exchange.

Bob

Russ and Bob, thank you for your kind thoughts! It is funny how the larger scale just opens up more and more detailing opportunities... in some ways the smaller scales in which I more often work are easier. It is hard to limit the added details when they are larger and hence visible! I do enjoy learning new tidbits about the ship’s configuration and history, though.

Anyway, more AA for the funnel!

The first batch Akizuki-class destroyers were built with two 25mm twin mounts over the radio room aft of the funnel. As the war went on and the Allied air threat increased, these were upgraded to triples. In 1943-44 the ships also had additional 25mm platforms installed beside their funnels for two more triple mounts. By the end of her life, Hatsuzuki’s 25mm AA suite had increased from an initial pair of double 25mm guns to 5 triple and 24 single mounts.

The kit funnel side AA platforms are decent, but I replaced the shields with thinner .010 X .125 inch plastic strip.

The Nichimo-provided mounts test fitted here actually aren’t bad, but they will eventually be swapped out for Veteran Models’ outstanding resin and brass type 96 triple 25mm AA guns (VTW20045). I sure wish Veteran would release a set of ammo boxes for them as well...!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 04:16 AM UTC
Hi Tim,

Looking good, tidy work on the fenders. I like the Veteran gear, not used the IJN stuff, but have used some USN and Kreigsmarine, I don't know how close they would be in size, Veteran have a set of Kreigsmarine Ammo boxes in 1/200th.

Cheers

Si
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Tim,

Looking good, tidy work on the fenders. I like the Veteran gear, not used the IJN stuff, but have used some USN and Kreigsmarine, I don't know how close they would be in size, Veteran have a set of Kreigsmarine Ammo boxes in 1/200th.

Cheers

Si

Thanks Si. Yes, I've looked at those Veteran Kriegsmarine 1/200 boxes... I'm tempted, but they are of different dimensions and a different style. Doh!
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Model Shipwrights: 249 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 08:28 AM UTC
The whole funnel area looks pretty spiffy, Tim! Those new AA will make it even moreso.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 09:44 AM UTC
I really like how you replaced the gun shields Tim.

So often they're out of scale when taken directly from the kit
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 11:07 AM UTC
Tim,

Very nice work on those gun shields.

Mark
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 - 08:24 AM UTC
Thanks guys. You are right, Russ - shields are a common weakness on ship kits!

The next major assembly is the bridge structure.

After assembling the lower portion, I removed the molded-on footholds, handgrabs, solid navigation bridge windows and various other details. All this will be replaced with better etch and plastic representations later.

In addition, the too-thick bulwarks on the bridge wings were replaced with sheet plastic.

I also added the extension to the back of the structure found on the later Akizuki-class destroyers that were equipped with radar. This extension housed the “electric searching room” – what the USN would have called the radar plot.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 - 08:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Tim,

Cheers

Si

Thanks Si. Yes, I've looked at those Veteran Kriegsmarine 1/200 boxes... I'm tempted, but they are of different dimensions and a different style. Doh!

Hi Tim,

it was just a thought.

Nice work on replacing the bridge bulwarks.

Cheers

Si
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 - 09:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Tim,

it was just a thought.

Nice work on replacing the bridge bulwarks.

Cheers

Si

Thanks Si! I absolutely adore the Veteran resin upgrage parts - they are probably the best I've ever seen. Looks like if I want good 1/200 IJN ammo boxes I'm gonna have to scratchbuild them.
rdt1953
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
Model Shipwrights: 34 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 - 11:32 AM UTC
Really enjoying this one Tim - while I wouldn’t wish continued quarantine on anyone I hope you will see this through to completion. Nice work indeed - I’m a big fan of all things Japanese.
Cheers- Richard
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 - 10:09 PM UTC
Lovely scratch building Tim
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2020 - 09:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Really enjoying this one Tim - while I wouldn’t wish continued quarantine on anyone I hope you will see this through to completion. Nice work indeed - I’m a big fan of all things Japanese.
Cheers- Richard

Thanks Richard. I'm actually working full time-plus from home (I work for the California Employment Development Department), but it is enjoyable cranking away on Hatsuzuki during my hours off! It is a pleasant diversion from the crazy world of Covid/civil unrest going on out there right now!
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2020 - 09:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Russ. It is funny, I had to add the radar room extension behind the bridge,
but Nichimo actually shows it on one of their diagrams on the instruction sheet! The Hatsuzuki kit is an adaptation of their earlier Akizuki (which didn't have a radar room), so I guess the designers overlooked that detail. Oh, well - it keeps life interesting!

RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2020 - 09:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks Russ. It is funny, I had to add the radar room extension behind the bridge, but Nichimo actually shows it on one of their diagrams on the instruction sheet! The Hatsuzuki kit is an adaptation of their earlier Akizuki (which didn't have a radar room), so I guess the designers overlooked that detail. Oh, well - it keeps life interesting!

Sure does... I'd say the bean counters overruled the designers more likely
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2020 - 02:23 AM UTC
Plans in the Japanese-language Kojinsha Maru Mechanic Mechanism of Japanese Destroyers (ISBN 4-87687-154-X C2053) show the layout of the Akizuki-class navigation bridge.

The plans also show the small chartroom just aft of it (in pale green).

Starting with the “ocean map board” (chart table), I built up the general shapes including bulkheads, part of the internal support tripod, and an etched brass door. I didn’t detail it further as this space will be almost impossible to see on the completed model anyway... but I couldn't resist putting at least the basics in there!

On the navigation bridge forward I trimmed away the solid kit windows (yuck!) as well as the vague molded-in nubs that were supposed to represent the helm and other equipment there. I also added small wedge shaped bulkhead support braces.
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 349 posts
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2020 - 05:48 AM UTC
Not sure how I missed this build but I am onboard now. Excellent skills shown Tim. I enjoying seeing how you have repurposed spare bits and bobs to enhance this!
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2020 - 02:18 PM UTC
Tim,

Nice detail that will stand out when displayed.

Mark
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2020 - 08:30 AM UTC
Very nice start on the bridge detail Tim,

Will add a nice amount of depth, are you going to leave the doors into the wheelhouse open?

Cheers

Si
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2020 - 11:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tim,

Nice detail that will stand out when displayed.

Mark

Thanks Mark!

Quoted Text

Not sure how I missed this build but I am onboard now. Excellent skills shown Tim. I enjoying seeing how you have repurposed spare bits and bobs to enhance this!

Rory

Thanks Rory. Detailing in 1/200 requires a bit of creativity at times since there fewer aftermarket parts available than in the "standard" ship scales of 1/700 and 1/350 - but I suppose unraveling those challenges is all part of the fun!