General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Dreadnaught progress report
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 04:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

P.S.
How the heck do you post a single pic instead of a url. I tried for a half hour and gave up.

Jeremy -

1st off, your Bismark looks great!

To post a picture, you need the url of the picture itself. In this case, one of them for your Bismark is:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/Jeremy1072/Bismarck-planks.jpg

To post it as a picture here, click on the "img" button above the box you type in. When you click on it, the following will be populated in your message:

http://put.url.here/image.file, surrounded by two "img" tags in parenthesis.

Instert the url for your picture between the "img" tages, where it says "put url here". When you are done, you'll see this:

lennythexdca
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 34 posts
Model Shipwrights: 25 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 06:07 AM UTC
I have posted some pictures of my dreadnought (actually pre-dreadnought) in my gallery and I will attempt to post one here. This kit is really trying my patience. Hopefully it oooks somewhat presentable when done.

MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 03:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have posted some pictures of my dreadnought (actually pre-dreadnought) in my gallery and I will attempt to post one here. This kit is really trying my patience. Hopefully it oooks somewhat presentable when done.

Looks like you linked to a web page not a .jpg - that's why you get a small "x" in your post. I followed the link and found your ship. What ship is she - one of the new Imperial Russian battleships?

lennythexdca
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 10:14 AM UTC
Very well could have been what happened Martin...I tried to follwo the instructions for posting a picture and that is what I got. Where did I go wrong? Actually the ship is the Potemkin...and yes it is a Russian battleship. But the model kit is extremely poor quality...I have been working on it for 4 months and have had to file and sand and fill and shim every piece so far. The tooling they made this from is really quite poor
lennythexdca
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 10:23 AM UTC
I believe I have figured it out

95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 12:25 PM UTC
Jeremy,
What thickness of balsa are you using for your decks?

It does indeed look great!
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 12:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't know, looks pretty good so far, I'll bet it'll look really nice when it's finished! What scale is it?
jeremy1072
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 01:28 PM UTC
Im not sure about thickness. Im using 1x2s from www.northeasternscaledlumber.com. I got the Chopper2 last week from Plastruct, it makes cutting up the planks so much easier. I cant believe I didnt order it sooner. The planks are not much thicker then 2 pieces of paper. I usually sand 2 or 3 times, they end up not much thicker then paper. Thanks for the compliments.

Jeremy
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 12:38 AM UTC
Wow those ships are all coming along good.

I’ve gotten some done on the USS Pennsylvania.
3 of the turrets are completed and attached. I also have 2 of the AA guns completed and mounted. I’ve also started glueing the lower hull together.
I ‘m now painting some of the smaller boats that will attach to the deck. Also I have the upper deck getting painted. I even have some construction and painting done on the bridge.

Bust of all I think I’ve finally found a place to put it once its completed.

I’m thinking every thing will start falling together soon.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 05:27 AM UTC
The USS Washington has most of the superstructure installed and will soon be awaiting the painters. Not sure yet if she will remain in drydock or be launched to see if she floats.
lennythexdca
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 12:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I don't know, looks pretty good so far, I'll bet it'll look really nice when it's finished! What scale is it?

It is 1/400 scale. And I sure hope it comes out alright. I guess paint can do wonders in the right places. I'll know better next time than to pick a ship from the early 1900's. Most of the photos are black and white...hard to tell the real colors, have seen one picture of it with a buff topside and black hull
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 01:15 PM UTC
Howdy All.....

I must say, I've been lurking around this thread for some time now and have been enjoying {vicariously} all of your builds. Really good stuff gents
I do have a question tho'.....is the "Dreadnaught's" title firm?...meaning, would other pre dreadnaught, and/or 'capital' ships be eligible? You know, before there was any such thing as a "Dreadnaught"?.............just curious
I mean, you have to remember that most countries Navy's had to start somewhere....

many thx in advance for taking the time to answer an 'old' poster's query.....

Tread.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 08:32 PM UTC
Gordon. We meant it to be be battleships of the ages which would include the old ships of the line from the 1700 and 1800's. and the steel navy pre-dreadnaughts from the 1890s. Frigates and the like don't count which pretty much rules out the US civil war era. You know there is still time for you to jump into this thing. We're running it to April 1 and you can get one of those 700 scale BB's from Tamiya, Hasagawa, or Fujimi that are pretty straight forward builds.
redneck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 01:41 AM UTC
The Pennsylvania almost had a disaster this morning.

I went out side to spray some of the 5in guns. Now I do all my spraying on top of an old rotten stump.
Well with out thinking I simply sat them on the stump and sprayed. This blew the guns off the stump into the grass.
Now if you think its hard finding something that fell into the carpet try finding something in a rednecks lawn.
Luckily after a good bit of searching I was able to find all of them and was able to clean them up.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 02:10 AM UTC

"......... which pretty much rules out the US civil war era. ......"

Hmmm......many thx for the help Blaster, but just out of curiosity I looked up the word 'Battleship' over at Dictionary.com and their definition goes as follows;
" Any one of a class of warships of the largest size, carrying the greatest number of weapons and clad with the heaviest armor. Also called battlewagon.

Now.... ....I'm not trying to split hairs or anything here... ...or plead my case for the potential inclusion of both the Union and/or Confederacy's Navy's Ironclads in this build, but seeing as the Ironclads were indeed the largest {the Choctaw and the Lafayette for example were almost 300' long!} and were indeed certainly clad with the "heaviest armour".....I think the Ironclads should at least get a thorough ruling by the participating build members........don't you think?......please?.......pretty please?.......

Tread.

BTW.....super glad to hear you found all your 5-in guns there redneck . ;-)
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 04:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy All.....

I must say, I've been lurking around this thread for some time now and have been enjoying {vicariously} all of your builds. Really good stuff gents
I do have a question tho'.....is the "Dreadnaught's" title firm?...meaning, would other pre dreadnaught, and/or 'capital' ships be eligible? You know, before there was any such thing as a "Dreadnaught"?.............just curious
I mean, you have to remember that most countries Navy's had to start somewhere....

many thx in advance for taking the time to answer an 'old' poster's query.....

Tread.

Hi Gordon!
Your question is pertinent! Perhaps I should call back some of the main porpuse on making this Campaign, which was to build BIG GUNS SHIPS! This was/is the main point... the name "Dreadnoughts" was just the result of the members vote, but I remember Battlewagons was one of the entries

I can say that a Ironclad like the ones you are building, fit in accordance to the rules of this Campaign, since they were heavy protected ships with very big guns - I would say "Go Gordon, Go"!

I believe that the Campaign Leader Gunny (Mark) will go along with me on this question and for sure we will have a bigger showcase of models in the end of the Campaign!

So... is it a "Welcome Aboard Dreadnoughts Campaign" Gordon?

Skipper

EDIT: Dreadnoughts "stick" because when you say this, what is the first image that pops to your mind? Also, I believe it was Garry's suggestion
Gunny
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gordon!
Your question is pertinent! Perhaps I should call back some of the main porpuse on making this Campaign, which was to build BIG GUNS SHIPS! This was/is the main point... the name "Dreadnoughts" was just the result of the members vote, but I remember Battlewagons was one of the entries

I can say that a Ironclad like the ones you are building, fit in accordance to the rules of this Campaign, since they were heavy protected ships with very big guns - I would say "Go Gordon, Go"!

I believe that the Campaign Leader Gunny (Mark) will go along with me on this question and for sure we will have a bigger showcase of models in the end of the Campaign!

So... is it a "Welcome Aboard Dreadnoughts Campaign" Gordon?

Skipper

First off, Rui, my Sensei, thank you... :-)
And Treadhead, get busy, Bro!!! I do expect to see your name added to the entry list, mate! Your in, my man!
Gunny
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Model Shipwrights: 134 posts
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2005 - 12:53 PM UTC
Trumpeter BB55 NC, with aftermarket.

I am way behind -- over two months to get 5 parts glued together isn't gonna cut it. While I've had other things going on, I've had some problems as discussed below.

First, I've added the Gold Medal PE set for the NC to my parts list - it may be the best of all. I also have L'Arsenal 20mm & 40mm ... You can see pix in my Gallery, Dreadnought album (DRN23-DRN26 series)...

The issue has been that the upper & lower hull did not match up. I cut the crossmembers in the upper hull & fitted until the hulls matched, then rejoined the cross-members. See picture below and a bunch more in My gallery, Dreadnought album (DRN40-DRN43 series). You'll also see quite a bit of putty to final the fix and cover some sink marks, etc.

However, my fix to the hulls caused other problems - it essentially drew in the upper hull sides and that meant the decks didn't fit into the hull easily. That wouldn't have been so bad if there =weren't problems with those parts to start -- especially to terrible fit on the deck of the three deck sections. See picture below & My Gallery (DRN45-DRN46 series)-- trying to clean up the two deck seams and rescribe the planking will be tough - and that is my next step.

I'd like to get past this point so I can get in gear with all the superstructure & stuff -- I mean, counting PE & what not, I've only got a couple thousand parts to go here. I am not a happy camper and that has caused me to walk away from this thing too many times. I am going to focus a bit more & try to get back on track. But if I don't get the deck seam cleaned up shortly, I'm going to put it all away & do something fun.

John
Gunny
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 05:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Trumpeter BB55 NC, with aftermarket.

I'd like to get past this point so I can get in gear with all the superstructure & stuff -- I mean, counting PE & what not, I've only got a couple thousand parts to go here. I am not a happy camper and that has caused me to walk away from this thing too many times. I am going to focus a bit more & try to get back on track. But if I don't get the deck seam cleaned up shortly, I'm going to put it all away & do something fun.

John

Greetings, John...
I've been following along with your build, mate, watching the progress and also the fit problems that you have had...relax, Bro, there is alot of time left on this build!...don't feel pressure, because that's when the fit problems turn into mountains and then the fun is drained out of your build completely...it's best to walk away when things get too much, but don't give up, my man...I've been at this hobby a long, long time and I still get to the point that you are sometimes and you just got to let it rest for a while and approach it later with a fresh mind (and hopefully a better outlook! ). Your progress is just fine...there are members who haven't even started their entry's yet, so behind your not! Once again, relax, and have fun with this...it's not supposed to be work, Bro...
Gunny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 07:27 AM UTC
Gordon. Sorry man I knew that the Virginia was based on the hull of the Frigate Merrimac and that's where I drew my thinking. But I have to agree that some of the later Union and Confederate warships would definitly be clasifed as such as they were the lead warships of the time. So build away at one of your ironclads. Look to see the completed pictures.

REally looking forward to seeing that Trumpeter NC with PE. I plan on asking Santa for one at Christmas.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 03:50 PM UTC
A big "Howdy" fellas,

Many thx go out to all for taking the time to consider an honest ruling on my request. Not only have I been admiring all of the stellar efforts that this Campaign has generated thus far, but I have also been hoping that my rather singularly peculiar build of the Union ironclad 'Choctaw' might find a home amongst the brace of ongoing Campaigns.......now, with the endorsements of the head Campaign honcho 'Gunny', and our good and ever supportive 'skipper', I feel like maybe I can pull the curtain back and let some shafts of light fall upon my 'Elephant Man'........

"..........So... is it a "Welcome Aboard Dreadnoughts Campaign" Gordon? ........."

You betcha!

Now......where did I put those 'in-progress' shots?.....?.......

Tread.

Thx again fellas

redneck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2005 - 02:40 AM UTC
I really didn’t get anything done this weekend.

I do have a few parts that need to be sealed before I attach them.
Just goto wait for the wind to die down some first.

I’ll try to get a new picture uploaded once I get some of these parts attached to the deck.
redneck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 06:54 AM UTC
Well here’s a new picture of the USS Pennsylvania.

The upper deck is almost done being painted. It would probably be done by now if it wasn’t for all the touch ups I have to do when I slip with the brush. :-)

Once its completed I have a few parts ready to put on it so I’ll get some more pictures up. Thing should really be falling together here soon.

I know I had said I was planing on trying to make a railing for around the deck but I don’t know if I’ll get to that anymore.
In my cleaning out the basement the bench I do my soldering on has gotten moved and buried in junk.
I don’t know when it will be useable again.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 06:59 AM UTC
Mike bathtised my scharnhorst "the floating thing" which is presently primed and waiting for paint

Francois
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 01:38 PM UTC
Got the photo etch and some dry brushing and my Rodney's completed. Should do it tomorrow.

Kenny