General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Dreadnaught progress report
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 10:58 PM UTC
Ahoy, maties!
I hope that the lack of activity in the warship forum this weekend means that we all were busy with our Dreadnoughts! Campaign entries! Fill me in with some updated progress reports, yo! How's it going, Rui? The suspense is killing me!
Gunny
redneck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 01:24 AM UTC
Well I finally got the USS Pennsylvania’s main deck and upper hull cleaned up.
Its still wet from sanding so I don’t know if I have any scratches to sand off yet.

I’ll get new pictures of it up before the end of the week.

I also got a coat of paint on the 1 turret but I think its to dark. I just posted a topic about that here.

Now I’m going to fix the peg in the one turret and get the 5 inch guns ready to put on as I paint the deck.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 03:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How's it going, Rui? The suspense is killing me!
Gunny

:-) :-) :-)
Keep it cool, Mark!
When it comes it will be annouced - not a big thing, dough!

First things first, and this is why Welcome to the Nam is coming first

Skipper
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 07:24 AM UTC
After a few "adventures" with masking tape pulling off paint, I have declared the hull of my 1/350 Missouri "completed". I've finished not only the painting, but installed the props, shafts, and rudders as well. My plan is to set that aside, and build the entire upperworks separately and then as my final step, glue that onto the hull. I've not tried that before, but I just don't want to keep handling the hull for the next several months.

I started on one of the main gun turrets, and have it to the point I'm just about ready to paint. What I'll probably do is get all three to the same point and paint them all at one time. I'm going to paint them first and then add the details afterwards to include the AA guns/fire directors as well as ladders/hatches etc. With Measure 22, the tops are a different color than the sides, so to mask it right, I won't be able to have all the fine detail installed.

I've cut off the plastic 16" barrels and will drill out the holes to insert Steve Nuttall's beautiful brass barrels as the final step I think.

With as much time as each one of those is taking, and thinking about how much time each of the 40mm and 20 mm guns are going to take, I can see that this project is going to take a LONG time.

Tom
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 07:53 PM UTC
I got more done this weekend than expected. Actually got the complete hull and deck joined and for all intents and purposes painted. Had to put the swastica decals on so I could lay real chain for anchors. That came out well. I walked around with 2 red quarters this weekend (masks for the red over white overspray for the national emblems) Added putty, doors and ladders to the main, secondary, and some high angle AA guns. They are all painted. Still have all the small AA, ships boats, cranes, and masts to assemble, detail and paint. Then final assembly add side railings and propellers and she should be done. Then it is off to Viet Nam for me. Oh be aware, I am trying to start a campaign called MEOW which is for Armored vehicles with the name or nickname of a cat. I'm dying to build one of those new Dragon 3 in one Tigers.....I have both and they are both screaming at me right now. If approved, i do expect participation from my fellow swabbies. :-)
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 10:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Then it is off to Viet Nam for me. Oh be aware, I am trying to start a campaign called MEOW which is for Armored vehicles with the name or nickname of a cat. I'm dying to build one of those new Dragon 3 in one Tigers.....I have both and they are both screaming at me right now. If approved, i do expect participation from my fellow swabbies. :-)

Greetings, Steve!
Sounds like you are making some headway with your build, bro...MEOW...Hmmm...does sound quite interesting, sir...would definitely make for an original campaign, and you can count me in!
Gunny
redneck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 04:09 AM UTC
Here’s what I have so far.

I also got a layer of paint on the deck now and am planing on getting some good painting done this weekend.

This will be the first time in years that I’ll be trying to paint a flat area this big so I’m hoping it comes out alright.

Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 10:07 AM UTC
So far so good, Jacob...Thanks for sharing the progress pic, Bro....lot's of time, have a good painting weekend...I'll probably be doing the same, now that all of my other projects are finally off of my bench...time to concentrate on MY build, now!...
Gunny
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 02:42 PM UTC
Hey guys...got my HMS Rodney painted and ready for PE. After that all I gotta do is mount it to the base. A buddy of mine has challenged me to a 1/350 Arizona build off. Got a question...it appears that the deck of the Zona was painted (or stained) blue. Any comments?
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 - 01:58 AM UTC
As stated in the other post, all gun tubs and rails are cleared from the Az. I've re-discovered acrylic glazing putty. I forgot how nice and smooth that stuff sands...like glass! Maybe be able to move onto the next deck level next week.

As an aside, Steve Joyce, I tried out your idea in regards to the PE frets and using them for gun tubs...It worked out rather well! Wrapped it around an X-acto handle that was the same diameter of the tub..and voila! Nice smooth bend! Thanks.

Steve
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 - 02:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey guys...got my HMS Rodney painted and ready for PE. After that all I gotta do is mount it to the base. A buddy of mine has challenged me to a 1/350 Arizona build off. Got a question...it appears that the deck of the Zona was painted (or stained) blue. Any comments?

This has been a subject of much debate in the very recent past...
The consensus is that the deck was natural wood color.

That's how I plan to do mine.

Steve
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 - 10:16 AM UTC
Sounds like a good plan to me. Natural wood it is. Thanks Steven.

subhunter
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 - 04:23 PM UTC
My understanding is that the "Zona was scheduled to receive the blue deck (stain it actually) but fate intervened before it came about. There is some disagreement if the upper deck had gone blue, but general consencus is that it too remained wood.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 02:50 AM UTC
Ahoy, Maties!
This is where I'm at with my Dreadnoughts entry...pic taken about 5:00 a.m EST Sat. morning (hence the sorry looking exposure!).

Gunny
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 01:03 AM UTC
Hello all... ... I've just recently joined up to Armorama, and, to be honest had no idea that ship modellers would be locked away in its complex labyrinth! Being a builder of Ships and Armour, I was pleasently surprised to see the magnitude of involvement within the site. The campaigns are a great motivation! You'll notice that my call sign is posted on for both the Dreadnoughts and the Carriers.

My choice for the Dreadnoughts campaign is quite suitably the 700 scale HMS Dreadnought, just recently released by Combrig. Made the order to WEM this past Thrusday and hopefully will have it in my hands this coming week.... Not only can I complete it for this online build, but I can have it ready for some upcoming contests in my region, of which one of the theme awards is best British ship There is only one slight problem, I've only got 3 weeks to get it done for the local show!!.... I'll post up photos of every step along the way, from the package arriving from England to the completed ship in it's full glory on a waterline base. What better way of celebrating the 100 year anniversary of this splended vessel....

(I promise I won't be as long winded in future postings!... )

Frank
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 350 posts
Model Shipwrights: 142 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 07:58 AM UTC
Hey Frank

Welcome to the site, I'm sure you'll love the warship area. I've you need any assistance with posting pics, let us know!

Gunny, your New Jersey already looks stunning. Can't wait to see more close up pics.

Skipper, so, you still haven't lifted the curtain on your project X haven't you?? I'm already starting to fear what you'll turn up with...

Jacob, your penssylvania is coming along nicely. Good luck with the painting!! make sure you're paint is put down in nice thin layers, so none of the details goes to waste under the paint.

Nice to see you guys are still keeping fires going on this project.

I still haven't started my Musashi. I've been staring at the box for over one hour now, but I just can't find the courage to start her. I've been out of the hobby for about 2 months now, and It feels like I've lost the touch....
I guess I'll just have to visit Armorama more often to get back in the mood....
So, guys, keep the pictures and progress reports coming, maybe that 'll help me get back into action again!!!

Well, see you all around the site!!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 10:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello all... ... I've just recently joined up to Armorama, and, to be honest had no idea that ship modellers would be locked away in its complex labyrinth! Being a builder of Ships and Armour, I was pleasently surprised to see the magnitude of involvement within the site. The campaigns are a great motivation! You'll notice that my call sign is posted on for both the Dreadnoughts and the Carriers.

My choice for the Dreadnoughts campaign is quite suitably the 700 scale HMS Dreadnought, just recently released by Combrig. Made the order to WEM this past Thrusday and hopefully will have it in my hands this coming week....

(I promise I won't be as long winded in future postings!... )

Frank

Greetings, Frank, welcome to Armorama, and to the Dreadnoughts! Campaign...Glad to have ya among the salty dogs, Mate! I have noticed that your on the slate for both of the Warship campaigns of late, and do appreciate the participation! ...and Frank, with all of the sails around here, your extra wind will come in handy! :-) ...but seriously, that's what these forums are about, Bro, and discussion is one of the best ways to teach and learn...
Gunny
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 11:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunny, your New Jersey already looks stunning. Can't wait to see more close up pics.

Nice to see you guys are still keeping fires going on this project.

I still haven't started my Musashi. I've been staring at the box for over one hour now, but I just can't find the courage to start her. I've been out of the hobby for about 2 months now, and It feels like I've lost the touch....
I guess I'll just have to visit Armorama more often to get back in the mood....
So, guys, keep the pictures and progress reports coming, maybe that 'll help me get back into action again!!!

Well, see you all around the site!!

Greetings, Bjorn...
First, thank you so for the encouraging words of my project, sir, and more pic's will follow soon (with some close-ups for you!)...this is my first ship build in a long, long, time, and I have made a few flub ups here and there, but overall she's looking o.k....But, this build is a primer and re-awakening for this side of the hobby, and I can't wait until the Flattop's Campaign to start!
Now, my friend, is the time for you to start on your entry...trust me, this hobby is like riding a bike, Bro...you never forget how...just pic up your x-acto and get busy! The creativity will start to flow and before you know it, you'll be asking yourself why you even doubted yourself in the first place...your Musashi is beckoning your talents, mate, so join in on the fun with the rest of us!
Gunny
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 11:21 PM UTC
O.K., Maties, it's Monday morning!
And since we had some downtime with the Big A moving to another server, you should have a bit of updates on your Dreadnoughts builds to tell me about!
Let's talk it up!
Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 11:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Frank

Welcome aboard Frank!!
I think you will like the gang - sharp and friendly
Glad to have you aboard

Quoted Text

Skipper, so, you still haven't lifted the curtain on your project X haven't you?? I'm already starting to fear what you'll turn up with...

Be affraid - be very affraid :-) :-)

Skipper

redneck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2005 - 12:30 AM UTC
My computer got full of viruses and I ended up spending all weekend (2:00PM Saturday until 8 last night) running deferent scans on it.
Meaning I had to stay out here monitoring it the whole time. So I brought the Pennsylvania out and did some painting.

I got the wooden deck and the upper hull painted except for some small touch ups. And I got some of the details started on the deck. The one turret is also painted now.

Now I need to mask some parts of the deck to finish up some of the details and get the remainder of the 5inch guns ready for painting.

Any one have any advice for painting the Anchor chains? There so small I can’t mask around them them.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2005 - 02:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Any one have any advice for painting the Anchor chains? There so small I can’t mask around them them.

I plan on painting my my anchor chain the same color as the chain plates, then going in with artist chalks and building up the color from there. It's easier than trying to paint individual links black or whatever and it's far more managable.
Steve
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2005 - 02:11 AM UTC
Had a pretty good weekend, although (as usual!) I didn't get as far as I had hoped. I'm still working on the three main gun turrets, and making pretty good progress. They're all painted, although I didn't add the PE ladders before I painted, and now I'm thinking that wasn't a good idea.

The biggest problem is working with the glue. I can't seem to keep the tip from getting clogged up, and as a result trying to get the very small amounts of liquid glue (as opposed to partially stick globs!) needed to apply the PE without totally ruining the paint takes a while!

I'm struggling with the L'Arsenal Mk 51 Gun Directors. Not only are they tricky to work with, they're not fitting well inside the box on top of the turret where they mount. But I was getting a bit tired at the end of the night!

On the other hand, after finally figuring out how to get all the pieces together properly, (especially the seat/pedals), the L'Arsenal 40mm mount looks absolutely stunning when it's all together, especially inside the mount with the GMM ammo ready racks installed inside. It's a bit daunting to think that I've got 19 more of them to do (and I haven't even THOUGHT about the 20mm yet!!!) I know they'll go together faster now that I've done on.

How long do we have for this campaign???

Tom
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2005 - 02:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The biggest problem is working with the glue. I can't seem to keep the tip from getting clogged up, and as a result trying to get the very small amounts of liquid glue (as opposed to partially stick globs!) needed to apply the PE without totally ruining the paint takes a while!

Tom,
If you are using super glue to attach your PE, try this: Squeeze a glob of super glue onto the plastic lid of margarine container. I don't know why, but the lid will inhibit the glue's drying time....like over an hour You can then apply the glue with a toothpick and not have the glob problems.

Give it a try.
Steve
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2005 - 02:27 AM UTC
Steve, thanks for the tip!!! I'll give it a try. It's hard enough working with PE as it is without struggling with the glue as well!!

Tom