General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Dreadnaught progress report
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 06:30 PM UTC
Thanks for all the links guys. You all never cease to amaze me with the abundance of information for nearly any subject matter. I get Squadron, so I'll check them for a PE set for the Haruna.
Thanks again!!!!!!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2005 - 10:12 AM UTC
Happy Labor Day, Mates!
I could really get used to this three day weekend stuff...nothing but modeling time for me this weekend! Loved it! Made a little(very little) progress on my New Jersey, been concentrating on a Warrior MCV that's been on my bench for too long...Oh well, what about the rest of me mates?? How are we all doing on our campaign entries??
Gunny
lennythexdca
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 34 posts
Model Shipwrights: 25 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2005 - 10:19 AM UTC
I have started the Maquette 1/400 Potemkin. I have kind of hit a brick wall as far as research. There are very few pictures to be found (unless one of you guys knows a secret stash) have had to shim the main deck, and significant filing of the funnels. I am still debating whether to make it a waterline model or not...
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2005 - 11:19 AM UTC
From a modelwarships review of 1/700 kits:

Tiger101
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 902 posts
Model Shipwrights: 105 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2005 - 12:01 PM UTC
My poor Arizona is still sitting quietly in her box. I have 2 models on my desk and a 3rd in the wings waiting to go. It looks like I will not start her till the end of the month. I'm sure I can catch back up! She is going to be the only thing I will be working on once I start. LOL Unless I get totally bogged down.
lennythexdca
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2005 - 10:39 PM UTC
Thanks Mike! Best picture I have seen
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Model Shipwrights: 94 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2005 - 11:20 PM UTC
Finding the Potemkin on the internet is a challenge if you aren't looking for the film And I'm sure the film wasn't shot on the real Potemkin either... Found a couple of built models though

http://www.steelnavy.com/MaquettePotemkinIlChoi.htm

http://www.steelnavy.com/HellerPotemkinRWhite.htm

EDIT - the film was shot on one of her sister ships Dvienadtsat Apostolov as the real Potemkin was scrapped in 1923
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Model Shipwrights: 94 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 03:33 AM UTC
And in reply to myself, here is another model of the Potemkin, under its other name

http://steelnavy.com/CombrigPanteleimon.htm
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 03:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gentlemen -

Thanks for the kind words. I'm really not all that humble. The idea came about more through Garry Beebe's brainstorming and developing of the Campaign, then any other reason. I just feel honored to be able to help bring it about and be part of it. With the outstanding job Martin did on Garry's "Tank Destroyers" Campaign, and the equally outstanding job Gunny is doing with "Dreadnoughts", it is just more examples of what a quality and professional group of people are associated with Armorama. Thanks all.

Perhaps so, Mike. But you, Martin, Gunnie, and Skipper, need to be praised for your keeping alive the spirit that Garry embodied. I think it's that spirit that infected all of us who knew Garry, and is what has made the Warships grow so fast since his passing. I don't think I would be going out on a limb to say, that those who knew Garry kept that spirit alive throughout Big A.

My bits worth.
Steve
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 04:01 AM UTC
You said it very nice there Steve, thanks

Well, going to start on my Scharnhorst soon, I received the kit today!!

I see a diorama coming up in my mind....:-)

Martin
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 04:28 AM UTC
Yes I think Garry is proud of this Crew here - top notch!

And I think that I owe an explanation for my "aparently not taking much care about Dreadnoughts":
- As you might noticed I haven't stated what I am going to build, I haven't started yet, but since this is a long campaign, I want to finish the other campaign I am into my knees at (WTTN) which turned 180コ!!
Just that... I have a great interest in this wonderfull campaign!!
I might say that you all have been excellent members with your works, help and comments so far! Mark (Gunny) is a Great Campaign Leader and he is going to make this (another) successfull warship campaign!

Also I would like to add, that you could post the finished pics in the Dreadnought Campaign

Would you all like to have a "In Progress" and a "Finished" folders?

Skipper
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 04:30 AM UTC
Arghhh! I hate being sick! Had a three day weekend, with SWMBO off doing other things, so I should have had the whole weekend to model. Except I felt so bloody awful I didn't put glue, or paint, to plastic the whole weekend. Now I've got a modeling contest coming up at the end of September and I think I'm going to have to concentrate on a couple of tanks I'm working on to get them ready. I don't want to rush the Bismarck and try to enter her.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 04:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Perhaps so, Mike. But you, Martin, Gunnie, and Skipper, need to be praised for your keeping alive the spirit that Garry embodied. I think it's that spirit that infected all of us who knew Garry, and is what has made the Warships grow so fast since his passing. I don't think I would be going out on a limb to say, that those who knew Garry kept that spirit alive throughout Big A.

My bits worth.
Steve

Couldn't agree with you more, Steve...When these two warship campaigns in Gary's honor came about, I couldn't help but volunteer my time, as Gary not only touched me with his kindness, but also his knowledge and passion for the hobby itself...So far, I think we're all doing good...
Gunny
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 04:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Skipper

Don't sweat it, Rui, like you said, it's a nice long campaign...I think that two seperate folders is a Grand idea!!... it would help to keep things ship shape...
Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 04:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Skipper

Don't sweat it, Rui, like you said, it's a nice long campaign...I think that two seperate folders is a Grand idea!!... it would help to keep things ship shape...
Gunny

It is done!

Skipper
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 05:00 AM UTC
I just realized I spelled "Gunny"..."Gunnie" ! Oh the humility of it all! I'll drop and give ya 50.

One Gunny Two Gunny.......

Thank you for conditioning my mind and my body...may I recover?

Ok..no more

Chipping rust and paint from the hull
Steve
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 10:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just realized I spelled "Gunny"..."Gunnie" ! Oh the humility of it all! I'll drop and give ya 50.

One Gunny Two Gunny.......

Thank you for conditioning my mind and my body...may I recover?

Ok..no more

Chipping rust and paint from the hull
Steve

Make that 100, sailor! :-) ...but seriously, Steve...no big deal...very easy mistake to make, with two Gunnies(Gunny's?) lurking about the pages .
Gunny
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 02:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...no big deal...very easy mistake to make, with two Gunnies(Gunny's?) lurking about the pages .
Gunny

That's right, there are two! Well now I don't feel so bad. :-)
redneck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 05:13 AM UTC
Just an update on my progress.

Well things still aren稚 going as quickly as I had expected.

I did get the hull and deck cleaned up a good bit. Just a little more putty and some sanding and she値l be ready to start painting.

I also did some work on 3 of the main gun turrets but ran into some problems.
While sanding the one I accidently knocked off the peg that holds it in place so now I値l have to fix that as well.

I should be starting on the upper deck soon so hopefully things will start moving faster.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 05:16 AM UTC
You have plenty of time Jacob ...steady as she goes ...mind the shoals

Margarita Night has began again at Steve's
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 10:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just an update on my progress.

Well things still aren稚 going as quickly as I had expected.

I did get the hull and deck cleaned up a good bit. Just a little more putty and some sanding and she値l be ready to start painting.

I also did some work on 3 of the main gun turrets but ran into some problems.
While sanding the one I accidently knocked off the peg that holds it in place so now I値l have to fix that as well.

I should be starting on the upper deck soon so hopefully things will start moving faster.

Don't worry, Jacob, you can slow it down a few notches, Bro...you have a plethera of time remaining in this group build, my man...don't feel pressure, this is all about fun and enjoying what we do...your progress is just fine, so relax!

Gunny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 10:11 AM UTC
I had planned the whole 3 day for Bismarck, but Katrina stepped in earlier in the week and some of those folks ended up in my town so I spent some time helping out with unloading truckloads of food, water and clothing to help out. But did manage to get the baltic stipes on the upper hull, so it is onward - ho here.
redneck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 02:26 AM UTC
Thanks guys.
I know I still have plenty of time. It just saw far things have taken longer then I expected.
I値l have it done on time.

And blaster76 you keep up the good work. Those refugees are a lot more important then any model.
Good job.
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Model Shipwrights: 29 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 04:39 AM UTC
Ola guys!

Just wanted to let you know that I ordered my 1:700 tamiya Gneisenau battlecruiser yesterday, so I'm waiting eagerly for the package to arrive

Cheers
Pedro
lennythexdca
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 01:14 PM UTC
Thanks for all of the Potemkin information! You guys are right...the movie comes up on almost every search online. This will be the first Maquette kit I have built...and so far I am not impressed, I hope some of you have had better luck. This is also my first time venturing into 1/400 scale ships. Hope to have some pictures posted soon.