General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Dreadnaught progress report
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 12:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have just droped out. Took a job in Medicine Hat, Alberta (canada) which is 3,892 or so KM's away. 50, 60 hour weeks won't help either.

Is that as far north as it sounds?

Don't feed the Polar bears...good luck with the new gig.
jeremy1072
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 04:12 AM UTC
Heres a couple pictures of the Bismarck Im building for the campaign. Im building the Tamiya Bis with WEM photo etch and Steve Nuttals barrells. The decks are going to be planked with 1x2 basswood strips. This is my first Tamiya 1/350 kit. I was a bit surprised with all the fit and gap problems I have been having with this kit. Most of time so far has just been filling and sanding.
Most of you guys dont me, Garry talked me into signing up for this campaign over on ModelFleet a while ago. I hope to get to know everyone better through out the campaign.

http://photobucket.com/albums/b50/Jeremy1072/?

Jeremy
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 07:30 AM UTC
Well jeremy, welcome to our little band here. I'm doing a minihobbies rip off of your kit. Sounds like you are doing the extreme though. With the plaking and the brass barrels. Did you get the ull set from Steve or just the main gun?

My progress: i've got most of the sub-assemblies done and have some paint down. did the deck tan and have done some of the molded on pieces. I've taped off to do the national markings. On the upper hull, have painted the main light gray and the bow and stern dark gray. Will probably tape off in a day or 2 to set up the white and black baltic stripes. Figure I'll have this kit done by end of September at latest.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 11:05 PM UTC
Good Morning, Maties!
O.K., it's Monday morning after a really great weekend of modeling...How's are Dreadnoughts entries going??
I've made a small amount of progress myself, lower hull of my New Jersey is complete with copper screws, upper hull base coated, decks painted(but not detailed yet), and have begun construction on main gun turrets...I promise that pic's will follow soon! Please tell us your weekends accomplishments!
Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 11:37 PM UTC
Working link for Jeremie's DKM Bismark

http://photobucket.com/albums/b50/Jeremy1072/?
Pretty impressive work

Skipper
Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,185 posts
Model Shipwrights: 35 posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 01:04 AM UTC
Gunny -

Still frantically working to finish up my entry fro Garry Beebe's "Tank Destroyer" Campaign (3 days left, but should just squeek in). Then I can start on the USS Washington. Also gave out 2 more of the 1/700th Waterline kits this weekend, so there going fast. I do have a few more stashed in a packing box in my attic which I'll be able to get to in a couple weeks and will post those for availability. The "Nelson" is still there if "95Bravo" is interested. Here's what' s left;

1/700th Fujimi German Battleship "Graf Spee"
1/700th Fujimi Japanese Battleship "Haruna" - picked by "11Charlie"
1/700th Tamiya German Battleship "Scharnhorst"
1/700th Tamiya British Battleship "Prince of Wales" - picked by "subhunter"
1/700th Tamiya British Battleship "Nelson"

Let me know if anyone's interested,
Blade48mrd
redneck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 11:42 AM UTC
I got the deck glued down but that’s about it.
Here’s a picture of my progress.

Not as much as I had hoped to have finished but its coming.

Today after I took the picture I did get some puttying done on it as well.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 07:07 PM UTC
Seeing Jeremy's work has inspired me to do alittle scratch work o my HA AA batteries and hanger/boat sections
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 10:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Seeing Jeremy's work has inspired me to do alittle scratch work o my HA AA batteries and hanger/boat sections

Why by all means, Steve! ...Hey, How's the progress on your build coming of late? I'm only getting in about a half hour to fourty five minutes of build time
(before I leave for work, I get up reeeeaaaaalll early!) a day, so my progress is slow...I'll be putting up some pics as soon as I get the main guns of my New Jersey mounted...
Gunny
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 04:11 AM UTC
I made some progress!!

Actually, Mike (Blade48mrd) helped me. He is going to send me the Japanese Battleship "Haruna." I've never done a ship before, so this will be interesting. It seems to be a bit different subject than many of the other ships in the campaign, so that's cool as well.
I need info on this ship if anyone knows some good sources. I haven't done any checking myself yet, but will do so. I mainly need to find out color of the hull, deck, etc., and if there are any PE sets I can use for this kit. Otherwise, this will be built pretty much OOB.
I know this isn't much, but it's a start...
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 04:56 AM UTC
Hi Darryl!

Welcome aboard
Info about the IJN Haruna:
http://www.combinedfleet.com/haruna.htm

A book you can have about the Haruna:
http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/books-plans/warship-pictorial/wp-13/wp-13.html
Check the pictures on the right side of the screen

Search Google Images with "IJN Haruna" and you'll see some excellent models

Skipper
redneck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 11:44 AM UTC
Darryl here are some more links that might help you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_battleship_Haruna

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-fornv/japan/japsh-h/haruna.htm
" TARGET="_blank"> http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-fornv/japan/japsh-h/haruna.htm

Hope they help.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 02:34 PM UTC
The sister ships of the Haruna were the Hiei, Kirishima, and Kongo. Toms model works and Gold Medal MOdels make PE sets. So check through Grat MOdels or Squadron. You can get a set of just railings which are a lot cheaper and greatly enhance your kit. Jpanese battleships generally were a dark grey color with a wooden or linoleum covered deck which would be painted a shade of tan
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 03:08 PM UTC
Thank goodness for James Cameron! I started work on the secondary guns of the Bismarck wreck. Once again Robert Ballard let me down, but Cameron came to the rescue. Ballard's book notes that the "aft port", left, secondary turret had one gun fully depressed, while the other was at full elevation. The overhead painting shows the starboard aft turret this way, and one photo shows some turret, but doesn't make clear which one. I had to go to Cameron's photos to see that in fact there were two turrets that had their guns like this. Port 2, middle turret on the left, one of the ones that had the range finders sticking out of each side, and Starboard 3, like the overhead painting showed, both had one gun up and one down. Since they're on opposite sides of the ship it was important I know which is which. I wouldn't want an outside gun be up when it should be down.

95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 03:37 PM UTC
Now the that the mini-magic campaign is over I can focus on the Arizona again...that is, of course, I don't have to sell a kidney just to buy gas to go to work......
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 03:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I know this isn't much, but it's a start...

Darryl, you're good to go, don't sweat it. This is a long build and you'll be fine.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Model Shipwrights: 94 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 09:41 PM UTC
There's more on the Bismarck's secondary armament here Rodger, don't know if it's been posted before

http://www.hmshood.com/hoodtoday/2001expedition/bismarck/bismarck1.html

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 12:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There's more on the Bismarck's secondary armament here Rodger, don't know if it's been posted before

http://www.hmshood.com/hoodtoday/2001expedition/bismarck/bismarck1.html

FANTASTIC David. Thanks! I think those are all from the Cameron expedition, but not all of them are on the site I've seen. That "you are here" map is going to be really helpful.

Thanks again.

Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 01:34 AM UTC
Good Morning, Gentlemen!
Just a short note from HQ to let you all know that the exchange of information and discussion regarding this campaign has been excellent thus far, let's keep it up!! Beside's the members that have been posting, how are the rest of ye' salty dogs doin'? We have 48 (and still growing!) participants in this build, so how about it, Mates? Thank you all for all the cooperation and cameraderie concerning this most excellent group build that we have going on here!

Gunny
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 04:36 AM UTC
I'm slowly making some progress. Thanks to Steve Joyce's suggestion, I've been getting "Help Recieved" from the Model Warships site, and that's leading me to order yet ANOTHER piece of aftermarket gear for my project, specifially the L'Arsenal Missouri foredeck replacement. Looking at the photos, it would be silly to have all the OTHER stuff I've got, and not replace the original deck. So I'm going to see about getting that and while I wait, start doing some other stuff, like building up all the secondary AA guns.

Last night I did some more painting on the hull, and by tonight, I expect to have the entire lower hull red and black stripe completed, along with the props, rudders and shafts.

I had mixed a custom batch of hull red, and I'm not sure what the trouble was, but it was coming out of my airbrush WAY slow, so it took FOREVER to cover. The pressure was regulated to where I normally use it, and the paint sure seemed thin enough, it just didn't seem to come out very fast.

But on the other hand that may have been a good thing, because it does really seem to look smooth and uniform in color and density everywhere.

Tom

Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 06:40 AM UTC
Well, Mike (Blade48mrd) really needs to be praised here as he is donating dreadnaughts for the campaign. He has send me the German battleship "Scharnhorst"

Scharnhorst movie!

http://www.voodoo.cz/battleships/germany/scharn.avi

Martin
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 07:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, Mike (Blade48mrd) really needs to be praised here as he is donating dreadnaughts for the campaign. He has send me the German battleship "Scharnhorst"

Martin

I hear ya loud and clear, Martin, and couldn't agree with ya more...I've thanked him many times about his most generous contribution to the campaign, but he's very humble about it...really can't thank him enough for the gesture, though...let's all buy him a virtual or two...or three??
Gunny
Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,185 posts
Model Shipwrights: 35 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 12:14 PM UTC
Gentlemen -

Thanks for the kind words. I'm really not all that humble. The idea came about more through Garry Beebe's brainstorming and developing of the Campaign, then any other reason. I just feel honored to be able to help bring it about and be part of it. With the outstanding job Martin did on Garry's "Tank Destroyers" Campaign, and the equally outstanding job Gunny is doing with "Dreadnoughts", it is just more examples of what a quality and professional group of people are associated with Armorama. Thanks all.

Now, enough of the sentimental stuff. Let's talk Battleships! I've only got two more 1/700th Waterline kits left for now (please note that is for now). I've got a Fujimi IJN "Kirishima" and Fujimi IJN "Heil" left. But I've also got another parking box with several more 1/700th Waterline Battleships in my attic, but won't be getting to them for about a month (stay tuned). Enjoy and keep us all posted,

Blade48mrd
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Model Shipwrights: 134 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 01:27 PM UTC
Trumpeter North Carolina, WEM PE set. See My Gallery for kit pix ...

I've been working, but not very fast 'cause I've got some other things going on (wife demands I finish the 1:1 scale deck furniture, friends coming to visit, etc).

I had hoped to reach a point by now to post some pictures but I'll just give an update & do pictures later when I finish this step.

I got what I needed for the display base & that allowed me to drill some mount holes in the hull and build a working board to hold the hull during work.

If you saw my original post in Campaigns, you'll know I found an issue where the upper & lower hull did not match.

I cut the bracing bars in the upper hull, fitted the upper hull carefully to the lower hull, then rejoined the bracing bars with strips of Evergreen, then glued the upper & lower together. I have put a light coat of filler where the upper & lower hull meet & expect to sand that down this weekend. I also want to cut off the boat hooks molded onto the rear hull & replace them (later) with detailed pieces.

I hope to have pix this weekend that will show the before & after of the hull work.

Next step will be to mount the 3-piece deck to the hull & fill the join between sections -- that looks like lots of work to preserve detail, etc ... Also want to work under the hull so I can get to painting the hull & deck ...

I haven't finished my review of the kit & the WEM PE to mark up what I will replace -- I am focusing on the deck so I can scrape off things before I mount the deck to the hull.

Update -- just got some extra PE from Gold Medal, ladders, doors, etc & have to work that in to the plan.

As I said earlier I have some other things going on, but I'm also trying to start on the above deck stuff -- first effort will be the 16" turrets, then the 5", and the structures. All ladders will be replaced, all detail will be worked, I just have to get this to be #1 project among several.

Whew !!!! Lots of talk, no pix I'm in it, just not on schedule ....

John