_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Want to be part of a group build? This is where to start, plan, and meet about them.
Pre-Dreadnought Campaign 1866-1905
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2008 - 10:25 PM UTC
Ahoy mates!

Today is the kick-off for our next most excellent MSW campaign, the "Pre-Dreadnought Campaign 1866-1905"!

All entrants, please feel free to use this official campaign thread to post any pics and record your progress, or if you wish, start your own seperate campaign blog.

Using this thread is by far the best IMHO, as it keeps us all together on the same pagem following all of our builds as we progress, with lots of lively discussion...but if individualism is your thing, then by all means, mates, please start your own Campaign build "BLOG", but also include "Pre-Dred Entry" somewhere in the topic title (ex. "Gunny''s Pre-Dred Progress") so we can find it easier in the forums.

To any other MSW member who is not signed up for this campaign, and who think that they may want to build a pre-dred with the rest of your mates, click on the link below to be transported to the official campaign home page, click on the "submit" button, and get busy!

Lets have a great campaign, with lots of activity, pics, discussion, and the most important factor, FUN!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2008 - 10:36 PM UTC
hello all,
well here we go with another great campaign.please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this campaign.
i will be asking alot of questions about my build,as it is my first resin model.
so here's to the campaign .
cheers,
Bruce
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2008 - 10:57 PM UTC
Arghh, ye salty dogs, here's my entry for this time around:

PLUS, a little GMM upgrade:

Off to the bench for a bit of dry fitting, mates!!

Cheers,
~Gunny
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 01:11 AM UTC
I love the bow crest that comes with the PE. Very nice looking set GMM did.

My build will be the USS Chicago. I am going to do her in her 1898 fitting. Pictures of the kit to follow as soon as I get my darn desk cleaned off. Work will commence some time in mid November, my shipyard workers are bing lazy, or is it the boss!?!

Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 09:38 AM UTC
Aye Mr. Adams, the GMM set is quite a beauty, my friend...looking forward to seeing your entry (as well as all the rest of ye'), as well...here's a bit of progress from this morn' (and so far, the fit is really good!)

grayghost666
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 10:46 AM UTC
hello all,
@Mark,
that is a nice looking kit and the PE looks great.
@Jim,
my dock workers have been on strike for the last few months.i gave into their demands so they should be back to work this week.
cheers,
Bruce
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 10:50 AM UTC
Mark,

Wow, working on two ships at one time. Dang, you da man!

Bruce,

I have a few thigns to finish up and then I will get going.

Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 11:59 AM UTC
Good quick start on the Borodino Mark! No doubt the PE will make this a stand out.

This should be one of the most colourful and diverse campaigns I've been involved in, can't wait to get started!

Frank
Quintin
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 02:34 AM UTC
I hope to build the 1/350 scale French Armoured Cruiser Dupleix by U-Boat Laboratorum if or when I am able to get one. Suppose to ship sometime in the next couple of weeks. Assuming I do get to build it, I'll post pics and reviews as I go along.
grayghost666
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 09:30 AM UTC
hello Quintin,
Welcome to MSW and to the Predreadnought campaign.i have not heard of your build,can you tell me about her and do you have any photo's of the ship.i am trying to get a feel for all the different builds for this campaign.
again Welcome to the site,we have a great group of members here and in my opinion the best ship modelers anywhere on the net or the world
cheers,
Bruce
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 12:26 PM UTC
Here is the kit I will be building. I had a base all picked out but it was too small, so I went with the round base I already have. This will make me do somethign a little different.

Combrig makes a nice kit. I can tell by the parts and instructions this will be a challange for me. I only hope I can do Chicago justice.

Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 12:51 PM UTC
Here's my contribution, the HMS Royal Sovereign from Combrig.

Not much to the instructions, leaves a lot to the imagination!

This is the Royal Sovereign hull next to the HMS Erin.

MikeM
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 219 posts
Model Shipwrights: 182 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 12:59 AM UTC
Royal Sovereign for me too, in Victorian scheme

Mike
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 01:37 AM UTC
Frank,

Thats a nice looking ship. If Combrig would just put a little more into thier instructions their kits would be just that much better.

peterf
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 426 posts
Model Shipwrights: 424 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 02:20 AM UTC
Every now and then I looked inside the box for this kit and thought that the ship would build up as a great little kit, and this campaign is the excuse to start but I guess I would have built it soon anyway.

So, here's another winner from Combrig. My research is pretty scant but I think I will get by with a little help from the experts.

And, away we go!

Peter F
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 09:42 AM UTC
My first contributions will be the Oregon and Iowa at Santiago (in Glencoe box scale no less )--once the yards are finished with the Arizona and Nevada for the Pearl Harbor campaign (hopefully, by Veterans Day ).

There's much yet to do on the current project: my tiny shipfitters at the Karlshaven Yard still need to rig catapults and calibrate the guns, and I'm awaiting the first draft of crewmen from the Fujimi Naval Barracks.

However, the Pre-Dred campaign is going to be SWEEEET and the perfect entre to the Great War campaign next spring!

--Karl
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 01:18 PM UTC
I have the 1:350 Zvezda Oriol.... can I wait a bit before decided to join or not? I have already a few builds in the yard, dont want to commit and strike out.... cheers!
grayghost666
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 01:36 PM UTC
hello James,
you can do either,but just so you know, anybody who signs up for a campaign here at MSW and fails to complete their builds are taken down to gator land and made to walk the plank.arghh!!!!
i would suggest that you sign up,that way if you decide to start your build you are ready to go.
cheers,
Bruce
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 01:51 PM UTC
Hi all!

Here's is the presentation of my project:

Second Class Cruiser D. Carlos I

Launched 5th May 1898
Renamed to NRP Almirante Reis after the Republic Implantation (October 5, 1910 - fall of Monarchy)
Disposed of in 1923.
It's an Elswick cruiser

I am going to portray it as in 1898 in Victorian colors (Black, white, tan/yellow - red bellow waterline, white waterline).
And since IJN Takasago is very similar (also an Elswick cruiser), I just have to increase it's length with 10 mm, modify masts and armament.
So I will be using ModelKrak's 1/700 IJN Takasago model, BMK turned brass masts, Atlantic Models ratlines and raillings and new armament/boats from SealsModels set:

The whole shebang

But I have other projects to finish first
Rui
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Model Shipwrights: 409 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 03:44 AM UTC
Here is my submission ...Zvezda Knyaz Survurov with GMM photo etch ,Bmk barrels and funnels, done on a pine board with Das Pronto putty for waves ...I admit I am very uncomfortable with the waves so far ...never done this before ...I will build them up with acrylic matt medium

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 04:26 AM UTC
Hi Jim

Please remember that you can wet the Das Pronto.... it will be easier to smooth the surface or make small waves.
Try first on a piece of wood or heavy card. I have always succeeded but I was working at a smaller scale.
If you need any further help, please ask

Rui
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 10:40 AM UTC
Great diversity guys!! This is going to be a great experience, look forward to learning plenty of tips and techniques along the way.

Frank
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Model Shipwrights: 409 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 02:52 AM UTC
last night I looked at my hull and thought it was riding too high in the water. I have pics of Her being broken up (or built-not sure ) and shes riding high like that ....so I rather NERVOUSLY cut her down with the dremel lower, and it looks much better to my eye..
Now I have the job of cleaning up the seams from all those ittybitty guns sticking out the side .....sigh. After that I will attach the rear deck and mask and fill the gaps with putty.cheers guys
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 05:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now I have the job of cleaning up the seams from all those ittybitty guns sticking out the side .....sigh. After that I will attach the rear deck and mask and fill the gaps with putty.cheers guys

Welcome to the pre-dred era, Jim!

--Karl
Quintin
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 02:22 PM UTC
Man, I am really impressed with the ships in the contest. I've really got my work cut out for me. Kombrig models are hard to beat. Someone ask about the Dupleix that I am going to build. The Dupleix is a just released French Armoured Cruiser from 1900 in 1/350 scale. It is resin and released by a new company out of Russia. It is on order and should come in next week so I have not even seen it yet other than the web site. I hope the link is attached. First time I've tried this on this site. I've ordered mine from a guy here in the US that I've never done business with so I have my fingers crossed it will turn out OK. Once mine actually comes in and I see its of good quality, I will be glad to provide you his name and email address if you are interested.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fu-boat-laboratorium.com%2F&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=ru&tl=en

Quintin
 _GOTOTOP