General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Look what the tide washed up...
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 05:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Captain,
Let's see some Hornet pictures!!!

-Andrew

Hi Andrew!

I uploaded a couple of shots into my MSW album.

Thanks!

--Karl
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 05:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The hull molding appears to fall somewhere between the fineness of the classic Revell kit and the chunkiness of the Trumpeter kit. Detail moldings like portholes with 'eyebrow' scuppers and superstructure bits appear to be average in sharpness.

--Karl

Hi Karl,

I believe it is designed and manufactured by Trumpeter.

Regards
Warren

You're correct, Warren, it's just that a go-around in a new scale would have been an opportunity for Trumpeter to make up for a prior error. I placed a bow-on snapshot in my MSW album, so hopefully others can see if I am right.

--Karl
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 08:04 AM UTC
Do you mean a problem with the 1/350 scale Hornet? I have that one in the stash and am not too worried as all you have to do is build waterline and the problem goes away...
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 11:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you mean a problem with the 1/350 scale Hornet? I have that one in the stash and am not too worried as all you have to do is build waterline and the problem goes away...

Hi Warren!

I believe the 1/350 hull stays thick above the waterline until it transitions into the flare of the upper bows. Other modelers have opted to either scratchbuild a new forward hull or to bury it in a heavy sea.

--Karl
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 06:24 PM UTC
These are my latest buys......

This one comes with the Pontos Set.

And this one comes with Gold medal and Tom's Modelworks P/E

warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 07:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

These are my latest buys......

This one comes with the Pontos Set.

And this one comes with Gold medal and Tom's Modelworks P/E

Nice haul Mark. I have the ordinary Academy Warspite and a seperate Pontos set. I did not know the Premium edition came with the Pontos set.

Cheers
Warren
apalella
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
Model Shipwrights: 23 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 - 02:38 AM UTC
Mark,

What are your thoughts on the Olympic? I'm a big Olympic class fan.

-Andrew
ThomasB
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 762 posts
Model Shipwrights: 10 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 - 05:51 AM UTC
This little gem was washed up by the tide today...

surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 - 11:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mark,

What are your thoughts on the Olympic? I'm a big Olympic class fan.

-Andrew

Hi Andrew. The detail in the Kit is very nice except for one major Problem. It is a straight reboxing of their 700 Titanic Kit. Some work will have to be done to accurately portray the Olympic. The First Class Promenade Windows are different and the Life Boat Davits are completely wrong. They will have to be scratchbuilt. Other minor differences will show up. It is not a criticism of the Kit's Detail which is still very nice but major work would have to be done.....Cheers mark
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 - 12:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This little gem was washed up by the tide today...

As one of the characters in Life Of Brian said..
"You lucky, lucky bast__d!"
ThomasB
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 762 posts
Model Shipwrights: 10 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 - 12:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As one of the characters in Life Of Brian said..
"You lucky, lucky bast__d!"

Placed an pre-order for her in February, so she sure took her time to wash up... Not I only have to decide what kit to build next, Belfast or my Warspite...
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 09:27 PM UTC
On the far flung shores these have arrived at last

I also got some WEM photoetch for this which may be partially useful

And this because I liked the idea of building something with a connection to here
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2013 - 08:08 PM UTC
After my week away I got home to find 5 parcel waiting for me! Better than Christmas! The two items of interest for the ship side of things were..

An AMG 1/35 Soviet Navy Speedboat NKL-27. Only 1000 of these are being moulded and I just had to have one. PE, metal bits etc.
Then the big set is the DJ Parkins Deck and Fittings set for Revell's 1/72 Corvette which I can mow start! But first the Graf Spee and Vosper must be finito...

Cheers all
Warren
terrybarrett
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Model Shipwrights: 7 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 05:08 AM UTC
Hey Guys,

I'm a dyed in the wool armor modeler and recently had a chance to explore the USS Yorktown on a trip to Charleston, so I am taking the plunge!

Just ordered the Trumpeter 1/350 kit off eBay ($60 + $27 shipping from Japan, not too bad...) and the monstrous Pontos detail up kit, which was discounted pretty good at Sprue Brothers for $139. I am ordering a bottle of Gator's Grip for the 10 frets(!) of P/E, and got some fine monofilament/tie line for rigging. Hoping the stash of armor tools and supplies will cover most any predicament I find myself in! I have been reading several build logs and think I am prepared to start. If anyone knows of a good "beginner" guide, or has any tips/warnings I would be much obliged. Particularly around painting order. I plan on doing the 1945 splinter scheme fit and am concerned about the timing of painting versus installing all the tiny subassemblies... I have done several build logs over on armorama and may do one here, at the risk of getting laughed off the board for being such a newbie!

Thanks for any help or guidance!

Terry

Raleigh, NC
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Model Shipwrights: 476 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 02:11 PM UTC
A new book review pending!

I also have a 1/350 IJN sub and a 1/700 Chitose in the works. Stand by!
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 10:49 PM UTC
Here is my 2 latest Buys.....Cheers mark

RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 06:11 PM UTC
This kit has been taunting me every time I've walked into my LHS and so I finally gave in to the little voice in my head saying "Buy me! Buy me!"

you can build any of the 6 ships of the class, but I like the look of that big Dragon the best

Aifix have done an awesome job of re-inventing themselves in recent years by re-tooling many of their classic kits and also adding new kits to their line up. This kit is no exception and I'm really impressed.

This also arrived from WEM for the Trumpeter Eskimo waiting in my stash. It's the ultimate upgrade kit and includes all you need to correct the kit.

they even tell you how to correct the sheer

happy days
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 06:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This kit has been taunting me every time I've walked into my LHS and so I finally gave in to the little voice in my head saying "Buy me! Buy me!"

you can build any of the 6 ships of the class, but I like the look of that big Dragon the best

Aifix have done an awesome job of re-inventing themselves in recent years by re-tooling many of their classic kits and also adding new kits to their line up. This kit is no exception and I'm really impressed.

This also arrived from WEM for the Trumpeter Eskimo waiting in my stash. It's the ultimate upgrade kit and includes all you need to correct the kit.

they even tell you how to correct the sheer

happy days

I know you may not want to hear this but Trumpeter have announced a Type 45..
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 06:57 PM UTC
Nice buy Russell,
that big red dragon does seem to scream "choose me" doesn't it
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 07:28 PM UTC
I think it was the dragon's voice in my head saying 'buy me! buy me!'

I was aware Trumpy are doing a type 45 but in all honesty i am much more happy to buy the Airfix kit I think it's important for the hobby that we support a variety of makers instead of allowing, say Trumpy, to monopolise the market. This means there will continue to be competition on price and also continued variety in subject matter. which adds up to good news for us...

Also, having found all the errors with the Eskimo kit have cost me the price of the kit again and then some in aftermarket bits to correct, I'd much rather my hard earned pennies go on a known quantity in the form of the Airfix kit... Besides, there's a WEM PE set for it that's now saying 'buy me! buy me!'

Airfix have done and awesome job on this kit so go buy one! You know you wanna!
Rugbyhead
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 39 posts
Model Shipwrights: 36 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 - 12:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

After my week away I got home to find 5 parcel waiting for me! Better than Christmas! The two items of interest for the ship side of things were..

An AMG 1/35 Soviet Navy Speedboat NKL-27. Only 1000 of these are being moulded and I just had to have one. PE, metal bits etc.
Then the big set is the DJ Parkins Deck and Fittings set for Revell's 1/72 Corvette which I can mow start! But first the Graf Spee and Vosper must be finito...

Cheers all
Warren

warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 - 07:04 AM UTC
Yes Andrew??
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 - 08:11 AM UTC
Alien abduction. Poor guy
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 - 08:48 AM UTC
That probing's gotta hurt!
Rugbyhead
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 39 posts
Model Shipwrights: 36 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 10:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers all
Warren

Thanks for your concern! My response was delayed due to the need for the surgical removal of said alien probe and the apalling state of the NSW health system! Not forgetting that i'm a novice to this and seemed to have relocated to Austria! Must have been dropped off at the wrong place by the aliens?
My question was what's in the box from Great Little Ships? They have an extensive range of after market parts and I was wondering to what extent you were going to? I have the kit in my stash with some after market stuff from a Newcastle chap and want to make a start but the kit is pretty basic by today's standards and the options seem to be unlimited!