General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Look what the tide washed up...
DMcGillavry
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 104 posts
Model Shipwrights: 102 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 01:02 AM UTC
Hello,

Here February tides:

Some works of Mr.Akiharu Takumi and his full built book for Aoshima's Nagato. I died three times and turned back up to page 20 and still in intensive care unit....

Navy Yard Vol 8 & 9.. Another incredible builds..

New Flyhawk releases. Boat set is perfect..

Regards
Serhan
Quincy
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 99 posts
Model Shipwrights: 97 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 03:33 AM UTC
That would be Model Art #30. The new issue #31 is dedicated to the Bismarck class.

Bob Pink.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 05:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A few more shipments made their way to my doorstep...
Lastly, from a used on-line bookstore ( edconroybooks.com ) a very interesting read on one of my favourite ships, the HMS Agincourt

I don't know if my wallet is going to like this thread. I just found and ordered this book. Got it for $13.75.

Kenny
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 05:01 AM UTC
Jan, the I-19 can be built full hull or waterline (it is split top and bottom along the waterline). The bottom section is one part and so is the top so it already cuts down on parts clean up. I'm going to build mine full hull, and there are some slight fit issues there, but looks easy enough to fix.

Phil, Monochrome/ Hobby Station were Japanese companies whose molds were purchased by Trumpeter (or so the story goes).
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 10:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

[
I don't know if my wallet is going to like this thread. I just found and ordered this book. Got it for $13.75.

Kenny

Glad I could be of help Kenny!..... by the way, you got a much better deal than me,... I paid $18CDN ($22US) for mine.

Frank
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 01:00 PM UTC
Finally spent some time with the camera.

So here are the lastest adds to the fleet.

This is my project for the Camo Campaign.

Just adding some more deatils parts for all my little ships.

PS

Serhan, you are right 30 was the DD issue, I got em messed up.

Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 11:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Frank:

Is that Model Art 31 dedicated to one class of DD? I am thinking of getting that one.

C|:-)

Hi Jim,

Issue #30 deals with the Kagero and Yugumo class DD's, I'm away from home now and can't confirm this, but I think issue #29 had the second part of the destroyer genealogy and can't quite remember what issue had the first.... maybe someone can help out with this...

Frank
Tailor
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
Model Shipwrights: 676 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 02:30 AM UTC
Hi folks!
This story might not fit that topic entirely, but I think I'd bore you with this story anyway.
My best buy ever must have been some time in early September last year, when I bid at the-auction-site-that-must-not-be-named for someone selling off "a box of 700th model ships" of her late husband. She listed some Tamiya BBs, some Aoshima CL and DD, some Fujimi BBs. I was actually only interested in the 72nd S-100 with the quad 2cm mount at the stern and the dedicated Eduard PE set, which was on the list, too. All in all 18 kits and three etched sets. Minimum bid was 50 Euro including shipping. I put down a bid of 100 Euro, since I thought the total value was easily in excess of 200 Euro. and selling off the excess 700th kits independently would certainly make me more money than 100 Euro. I didn't really expect it, but I won the bid at about 80+ Euro and effected the payment. 10 days later I got 2 boxes. I opened the first, which did contain 26 kits, but I didn't find any one kit described in the auction. The second box contained the kits and PE I had bid for.
When I contacted the lady, she told me "that that second box just had surfaced and she didn't wanted to go through all that e-*** hassle again, so she just sent it long, I might be able to appreciate them"! - I certainly did!
So I got 44 kits and 3 PE sets for the price of less than 2 Euro a piece. I can't imgaine to get a better deal any time soon.
By now most have been sold off, which in return bought me the 350 Nagato from Hasegawa.

Cheers,
Guido

Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 04:21 AM UTC
Wow, what a story, Guido! I use Ebay a lot and have to say that sometimes I feel the same as the woman in the story-- it gets tedious posting stuff! BTW, Ebay isn't some bad word here, so no worries. There's even a section in the forums for people to Buy, Sell, Trade. Just make sure not to post any Ebay sales outside of that section and no problems.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 08:00 AM UTC
Guido,

That is a great catch. I used that site a great deal back in 1999-ealry 2001, then the bottom fell out of it.

For me looking for a kit is half the fun of buying one. I will find a certian ship I want and spend hours looking around all the stores I have bookmarked. It sure saves gas!

Angeleyes
Visit this Community
Drama, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 154 posts
Model Shipwrights: 149 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 11:26 AM UTC
my latest aquisition is the WEM HMS Barham 1941.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 10:31 PM UTC
Another "little" new kit for the slip:

Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 06:11 PM UTC
Visited one of my LHS on the way home from work and picked up some new items...

The Kagero book is essential if you plan on building the Fujimi kit, 57 full colour pages of the 1944 Kongo, detailing all aspects of the ship. Two sets of pull out scale drawings and a full colour 350th pull out.

The Shipcraft #9 book on the Kongo, has broader appeal, dealing with all four ships in the class, with photos taken from their initial battlecruiser configuration (1913-1927) to the end of the war.

The Mogami is a thing of beauty, and with the option of waterlining.

goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 01:47 AM UTC
Frank,

Is there an in-box of the Mogami in the future?? I could splurge on one BIG kit this year and decided to go with the Revell Tirpitz, I might just have change my mind.

I received my copy of Model-Art #30, which happens to be my first issue. Now I see what all the hub bub is all about. They are loaded with tons of good info. Too bad it is all in Japanese, but the pictures and graphics are top notch!

Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 04:48 AM UTC
Wow, Frank!

I also hope for an in-box on the Mogami. I'm concerned by the lack of lines on the hull based on the photos I've seen and an in-box would let me know if my fears are unfounded, or if I'm gonna need to break out the tape.

Good haul on the books too. I love the Kagero book- a great value when you consider the extras.

On my end, the Model Art Super Illustration Nagato book arrived. An awesome book that I think is even better than their book on the Yamato.
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 07:10 AM UTC
Jim/Dade,

If the server allows me to upload photos, I'll do it in the next couple of days.

Frank
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 01:48 PM UTC
My book the "Great Dreadnought" came in this week!
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 06:41 PM UTC
Hey Frank,

Speaking of reviews, I've finished the review for the Akitsushima and sent it to Mark. I've also taken the pictures of the 1/200 I-19 and will write the review for it sometime next week so you can decide if the kit is something you want to get.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2009 - 09:01 AM UTC
That Mogami sure does look super, but for now I'll just stick to the ISE. Maybe Tamiya will cut loose the Suzuya in 350, though I really am wanting a Myoko. This year I am trying to limit myself as I've got so many big ships in the stashright now and I am really slow workingon them.. 2 months in and I'm still a long ways from completing the Kongo, though with 8 or 9 hours of uninterupted work, I could really put a dent in it. I do have about 90 % of the fromnt done. All the goodies on the deck and the completed bridge section. Pretty much all that is left there is the anchor plates, splintrshields and aa guns on the deck as well as railings. Plans this weekend incude painting hull the dark grey and tying to finish midsection up.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 03:51 PM UTC
This arrived today:

Large, nicely decorated over-sized box, containing same old ITC molds. Personally not worth the going price of 35 bucks, unless you want a large 1/74th scale (close enough to 1/72 scale for me) sub-chaser.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 10:09 PM UTC
Interesting Dave - never heard of it, got some in box shots ?

Cheers/Jan
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 04:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Interesting Dave - never heard of it, got some in box shots ?

Cheers/Jan

The original kit is almost as old as I am...... !!!!!
I'll snap a sprue or two just for you Jan.

Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 04:46 AM UTC

The gray sprue. Most of the parts came loose during it's travels.

The lovely metallic blue sprue, and the loose victims of travel.

The hull and deck.

So you don't mistake the hull number.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 04:53 AM UTC
Ouch, thats gonna take some TLC

Thanks Dave!
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Model Shipwrights: 85 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 11:08 AM UTC
Bought my first ship model for years today - it was in a sale so cheap (based on reviews it had to be). The Airfix/Heller 1/400 HMS Hood will be my last model until next winter, after the AFV Club Churchill tank that's next on the list.

In the spring/summer/autumn I want to spend more time outside with my cameras getting some good landscapes and wildlife shots.