General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Building Revells 1/72 Flower-Class Corvette
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2015 - 06:52 AM UTC
Well, after stalling all this time because I thought I didn't have the right glue I bought a tin of the glue yesterday then discovered a tube in my desk cupboard that has been there for years!

So after fiddling around with the anchor winch for a little longer I plucked up the courage and added the final part I needed to add to the deck, a little support that goes under the deck and holds one of the vents, then applied the adhesive to the brass deck and the plastic deck and after waiting 20 minutes for the adhesive to dry I put them together and put lots of clamps on to hold the deck while it dries..

That's it for now as I want to wait the 24 hours necessary for the adhesive to fully sure. The smell actually bought back lots of memories for some reason.

That's it for now

Cheers
Warren
cloggerdemps
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 88 posts
Model Shipwrights: 75 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 02:48 AM UTC
Looking good.
Could you include a photo of your soldering kit/materials set up?
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 02:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good.

Hi Colin.

I will do that very thing later today.

Cheers
Warren
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 10:30 AM UTC
Hi Warren,

Good to see the deck going down.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers.

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 12:38 PM UTC
Thanks Simon.

Colin, you know how I said I was going to take some photos.. well the flu has hit and I have done stuff all today.

Over and out for the moment..

Warren
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 03:35 AM UTC
Looking very nice Warren!

Hope you recover from the dreaded "loogey" soon!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 04:15 AM UTC
Sorry to hear you've been hit by the bug! Hope you feel better soon! On a brighter side, things are looking pretty good over there on the boat! Wishing you well so you can get back to work!
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 01:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good.

Well the flu turned out to be nothing more than a 24 hour malaise.. woohoo! Maybe it is the anti-biotics I am taking for my leg wound.. Who knows.

But anyway as requested here is a review of the 'stuff' I use, and that is a technical term, stuff, for soldering bits and pieces on this build.

Now normally I avoid soldering like the plague, even though I have done lots of it and have taught it at uni, I like CA as there is no huge heat involved..

First up, the temperature controlled iron I use for delicate stuff..

Then there is the one I use for the bigger, heat dissipating jobs like the heat shield in the middle of the deck..

That's the 80W one and it had no trouble with the deck and shield. I do have a bigger one but that is not any use here as it is actually too powerful and would warp the brass easily.

And what I use for my soldering after I apply the solder paste to fill gaps etc..

Had the same roll for decades.

And next the solder paste I have just started using. The solder is in tiny balls suspended in the paste..

That's it for the soldering tools.. except all the hand tools like wire brushes for cleaning the tips and things like that. Another tip is to always put some solder on the tip before you let it cool down as it protects the tip from corrosion.

And here is the deck in place after all the clamps have been removed..

And the blast shield soldered in place..

Then we have the anchor winch slowly taking shape..

And that is it for now.

Thanks for tuning in for the latest episode.

Cheers all
Warren
cloggerdemps
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 04:44 PM UTC
Very interesting, thanks for the photos.
Which solder is that? and where do you get the solder and paste from. Do you use liquid solder flux as well?
How about a photo of your workshop?
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 01:21 AM UTC
Greetings from wet, and wild Adelaide. Snow has fallen on numerous hills (you can't really call them mountains) and the wind has been howling all night. But we are fine, snug and warm.

Progress has been slow but I got back into it yesterday and got some stuff done before dinner.

First up I will try and show how the rivetting works on the rear deck parts. which are different for the Snowberry and Bluebell.Here we have the unmolested rear decking..

The squiggly patterned bits are supposed to be the non-slip stuff on the deck. Now, if you turn the sheet over you can see where the rivets are supposed to go etched into the brass as little divots.

Then if you get your super-secret rivet creator you end up with what looks a bit like rivets on the deck.

So that is the story of how I do deck rivets. Exciting stuff that.. not.. gets a bit boring doing hundreds of rivets and you have to be careful to do the rivets before you start folding stuff. But it will look great under a coat of paint.. I hope..

Now it is back to the anchor windlass winch.

I have to apply some filler to that handle on the back of the winch and attach the two steam pipes and valves that go into the deck..

Then we have some more pieces I have been folding.

And finally making sure the foredeck is glued down properly

The stand that comes with the kit is handy for working on the hull as you can rotate the hull to various angles and it will stay there.

I have found a source for the correct paint for the decking and have placed an order for the WEM Colour Coats for the job. I don't usually use enamels but the WEM enamels are so good I make an exception in their case. The also cover well when applied by brush.I am very happy they are being made again.

Has anyone got any pictures of the wooden parts of the Snowberry's decks to show if they were left natural wood or painted the deck colour?

And that's it for now. Will be trying to get all the riveting for the rear deck pieces done today.

Update tonight.. hopefully..

Cheers
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 09:14 AM UTC
Sorry I am not ignoring you Colin, just trying to remember to take some photos for the blog.

Anyhow, after the deck is painted the correct grey, the next job is to apply the right colour to represent the wooden parts of the deck. Now it can be painted OR I can apply real wood. I cut out one plank and put it in position. I am not sure if it shows it very well but here it is.

I can represent the screw/nail holes with pin holes in the wood but what do you think will look better, painting the deck or using wood?

Cheers
Warren
cloggerdemps
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 10:05 AM UTC
I feel painting the deck with oils gave me the best effect.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 11:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I feel painting the deck with oils gave me the best effect.

That's one for painting..
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 03:07 AM UTC
my vote goes for painted deck, Warren

Simple, quick and effective

Great progress by the way, but what's all this 'orrible weather you guys are sending us?
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 05:30 AM UTC
Amazing work Warren!
As for painted versus wood, I guess from your picture you would do the wood in single planks? It may look pretty effective especially in this scale but I expect it would be waaay more work than painting. I would try the wood myself.

cheers

Michael
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 09:44 AM UTC
Warren,

you are doing a fantastic job on the Flower!! I have seen some of those kits been started, but none finished yet - especially not with the GLS aftermarket parts. Knowing you I am sure you will finish!! Looking forward to following your build!

And for your question at hand - I have to admit I would love to see the real wood, this concept of single planks looks very interesting...however, I am sure it would mean a real lot of extra work for you still would love to see it

Cheers ,

Jan
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 11:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great progress by the way, but what's all this 'orrible weather you guys are sending us?

Ah just a run of the mill Australian style blizzard.. Heavy rain, hail, gale for ce winds and under 10 deg C.. That is normal for Victoria anyway isn't it?

Gives you a good excuse to stay in the hobby room all weekend.

Cheers
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 11:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Amazing work Warren!
As for painted versus wood, I guess from your picture you would do the wood in single planks? It may look pretty effective especially in this scale but I expect it would be waaay more work than painting. I would try the wood myself.

cheers

Michael

Two paint and one wood..

It would mean having too sand down the deck when finished as the grain is pretty pronounced. And it may also be a bit thick..

Might give it a practice and see.

But there is a load of detail on the deck already and I have painted wood grain before but that was in 1/32 scale..

or

Just need to get the grain a bit finer methinks...

I feel some practice coming on...
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 11:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Warren,

you are doing a fantastic job on the Flower!! I have seen some of those kits been started, but none finished yet - especially not with the GLS aftermarket parts. Knowing you I am sure you will finish!! Looking forward to following your build!

And for your question at hand - I have to admit I would love to see the real wood, this concept of single planks looks very interesting...however, I am sure it would mean a real lot of extra work for you still would love to see it

Cheers ,

Jan

That's two all now... Might do some practice bits and submit them for approval..
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 03:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ah just a run of the mill Australian style blizzard.. Heavy rain, hail, gale for ce winds and under 10 deg C.. That is normal for Victoria anyway isn't it?

Gives you a good excuse to stay in the hobby room all weekend.

Cheers
Warren

True that!
cloggerdemps
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 04:29 PM UTC
If you look at my gallery you can see a 'painted' wooden deck.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 09:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you look at my gallery you can see a 'painted' wooden deck.

Beautiful looking deck. How come you haven't started a build blog my friend?
cloggerdemps
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2015 - 02:13 AM UTC
Good question. Its quite a commitment, and I would be afraid of being too inconsistent with the posts.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 02:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good question. Its quite a commitment, and I would be afraid of being too inconsistent with the posts.

Nah!! Just go with the flow mate. If you do something, blog it.
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 05:15 AM UTC
Ahoy Warren

This is truly becoming an "epic" build indeed.

Cheers

Sean