General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Building Revells 1/72 Flower-Class Corvette
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 11:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahoy Warren

This is truly becoming an "epic" build indeed.

Cheers

Sean

Hi Sean and thanks for that.

I think I may have been being a little precious over this build. How much grain so you think you would see on a piece of ships planking from 72 feet away? FA you say? Well I agree... I don't know what I was thinking with all the rubbish I was going on with. Paint it black to bring out the highlight, paint a nice deck colour over it (Deck Tan by Tamiya should do) then hit it with some clear to give it some depth and voila! Wooden deck.

Over and out
Warren
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 04:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ahoy Warren

This is truly becoming an "epic" build indeed.

Cheers

Sean

Hi Sean and thanks for that.

I think I may have been being a little precious over this build. How much grain so you think you would see on a piece of ships planking from 72 feet away? FA you say? Well I agree... I don't know what I was thinking with all the rubbish I was going on with. Paint it black to bring out the highlight, paint a nice deck colour over it (Deck Tan by Tamiya should do) then hit it with some clear to give it some depth and voila! Wooden deck.

Over and out
Warren

Totally agree Warren!

Just cos the AM companies think we could buy their products and add them to our builds, doesn't mean we should!

All too often we modelers end up finding ourselves mired in AM details and what should be a quick fun build turns into years of frustration and toil.

I'm as guilty as any on that note and have made a promise to myself to limit AM on future kits to the bare minimum!
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2015 - 04:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm as guilty as any on that note and have made a promise to myself to limit AM on future kits to the bare minimum!

Good luck with that Russ..

OK. even though you might be thinking he has slackened off and has done very little to the Snowberry, you would be wrong as I have been doing stuff that tends to take hours and hours for very little result, well to the eye anyway..

First up I managed to warm the paint etc up to a decent temperature and splashed some matt black of the forward wooden deck, walkways and some other parts I would like to accentuate.

Then I started on the rear deck. First up I glurd the three sides together for the superstructure on the aft deck..

After I removed all the raised detailing on the roof I glued the roof on and started adjusting things to allow the PE roof to fit in place..

Then I applied contact cement to plastic roof and PE roof, waited 20 minutes or so then bought the roofs together.

.. and applied one or two clamps to make sure it settles down nicely. As you can see when they say you really only use the hull of the original kit and that is about it they are not being that accurate. The aft superstructure and decks are used, and I believe using the plastic deck forward ends up giving you a nice strong base to put all your other brass on.

That's it for now

Cheers
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 04:48 PM UTC
Back again.

First up I decided to paint the wooden bits of the forward and aft decks..

It may look a little washed out but to the naked eye, sans flash, the deck detail stands out just fine.

Next up I started the engine room skylight. First job is to bend up and glue the main structure..

Then you bend up the parts of the hinges that attach to the frame which you then glue into the frame..

Then after you have glued them in position you need to attach this piece to the frame and over the hinges after you bend those flaps 90 degrees.

Are we having fun yet or what!!

Pity the deck paint hasn't arrived yet...

Cheers
Warren
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 10:35 PM UTC
Wow, Warren, that is quite a bit of brass right there!!

Looks good though, great work!!

Cheers and 'have fun'!!

Jan
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 08:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Good luck with that Russ..
Cheers
Warren

Well, I'm trying Sticking to wing things of late, and all they really need is a good set of paint masks IMHO

Meanwhile those painted decks look great! And fast too!
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 11:22 AM UTC
Jan and Russell, thanks for that.

Warren
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 - 02:25 AM UTC
Warren,

She is coming along splendidly. Your PE work is outstanding. Not sure I have the courage to try something like this. Too easy to spot my mistakes

Dave
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 - 03:40 PM UTC
Very nice Warren!

Though I would have like to have seen the planking, the painted deck looks good with the detail still clear.
The metalwork is outstanding, very clean and sharp.

cheers

Michael
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 - 10:18 PM UTC
Splendid work Warren! Clean PE-ifying!! Lovely base coloring of the deck!! You are making some fine progress on this my friend!
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 - 11:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Warren,

She is coming along splendidly. Your PE work is outstanding. Not sure I have the courage to try something like this. Too easy to spot my mistakes

Dave

Maybe I am just good at hiding mine..

Thanks Dave.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 - 11:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice Warren!

Though I would have like to have seen the planking, the painted deck looks good with the detail still clear.
The metalwork is outstanding, very clean and sharp.

cheers

Michael

Hi Michael.

The detail is definitely there as you will see with my next update. I am very much into scale fidelity and there is not much chance you would see much wood grain in 1/72 scale IMHO.

Cheers
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 - 11:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Splendid work Warren! Clean PE-ifying!! Lovely base coloring of the deck!! You are making some fine progress on this my friend!

Thanks Todd.

Now, time for an update!

First up, a close up of the decks wood to show the detail and how the pre-coating highlights the detail.

This area has now been masked up ready for me to spray the deck colour..

I hand-painted a little of the deck colour to show how it looks..

I see have some straightening to do on the edge of the deck..

Anyway, that's it for now.

Cheers
Warren
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 02:34 AM UTC
Nothing better than a good tape job!! Keep those fires lit on the bench!!
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 09:25 AM UTC
The wooden deck came out really nice Warren!! I hope everything works out well with your masking and you don't end up with too much needing - you can always fix that on any standard color, but I feel it would be more complicated on the deck!

Cheers

Jan
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 10:03 AM UTC
Thanks Todd, I will..

Jan, that is all the masking I need to do for the deck painting. But when I start the hull it self the whole deck will be masked just incase. Even better much of the hull is white... I hate painting white...

Cheers
Warren
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 03:37 PM UTC
Looking very nice, Warren.

The decking looks great!

Russ
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 01:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The decking looks great!

Russ

Thanks Russell.

I think in this case less is better. How much wood grain would you expect to see on wood 1/72 the size of real life...

Cheers
Warren
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 02:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The decking looks great!

Russ

Thanks Russell.

I think in this case less is better. How much wood grain would you expect to see on wood 1/72 the size of real life...

Cheers
Warren

not a lot mate. Considering how meticulous the RN was in looking after their teak decking, not a lot at all.

Even aircraft at 1/72 should be fairly 'clean' IMHO. The old adage, less is more, comes to mind
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 02:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The decking looks great!

Russ

Thanks Russell.

Cheers
Warren

not a lot mate. Considering how meticulous the RN was in looking after their teak decking, not a lot at all.

Even aircraft at 1/72 should be fairly 'clean' IMHO. The old adage, less is more, comes to mind

100% correct that man!
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 11:39 AM UTC
Hello boys and girls.

Welcome to another edition of 'Building Revell's Corvette' aka Warren's mortal stuggle with Lifecolor Paints.

Let us start at the beginning. First up I masked up the deck that has come up quite well using WEM Deck Grey..

Not too hard to mask. Then the fight began..

Ever prepared something for painting, sanded ever single square inch, wiped it down with alcohol and a lint free cloth, and got this?!?!?!

That is my 15th attempt with Lifecolor Western Approaches White cut 60/40 with Lifecolor thinners.. I have never had an luck EXCEPT with brush painting.. but this is WAYYYYY to big to paint with a brush, well a hobby brush anyway.

I tried different airbrushes, different compressors and different rations with no luck at all. So I gave up..

Then I squirted some Vallejo Grey Primer into the airbrush, straight from the bottle as it says, and voila!!

No fish eyes here. Perfect cover.. Just needs a wipe down with a lint -free cloth to get rid of those bits on the surface. No fuss, no muss.. easy clean up.. Question is does Vallejo make the right colour or is it gonna be some mixing of paint in Warren's future?

All will be revealed in the next episode of 'Building Revell's Corvette', or Warren's blah blah...

The End

Cheers
Warren
cloggerdemps
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 88 posts
Model Shipwrights: 75 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 02:28 PM UTC
Looking good.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 03:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good.

Thanks Col..
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 09:27 AM UTC
Oh wow, Warren, that are interesting results you are getting there with life color... - I am using Tamiya, but I was very tempted when I saw the new life color sets for the RN camouflage...now these sets are definitely deleted from my wish-list. I did experience problems with Vallejo as well, though - their colors kept clogging my airbrush and I did not get them to work. Not 'as is' from the bottle, and not with several other attempts, including water, their own thinner, alcohol etc...

Anyway, glad to see you you managed in the end - final result looks good!! and I am looking forward to the next episode of 'Warren's mortal struggle or blah blah' Whatever you call it. I'll be watching!

Cheers,

Jan
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 12:04 PM UTC
Hi Jan.

Glad you are enjoying my rubbish blog..

I found that the primer was not working as well this morning and I had to thin it about 25% for it to work properly.

I too have had problems with Vellajo paint clogging my 0.2mm airbrush. It seems to have a lot of pigment in it and it may need a larger nozzle.

Cheers mate and thanks for looking,
Warren