_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Want to be part of a group build? This is where to start, plan, and meet about them.
Official Thread: Mighty Battleship
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 03:28 PM UTC
Hello All,
This the Official Thread for the Balltleship Camapign. The campaign starts on 1 May 2014 and ends 1 Nay 2015.

Pleas wait to post on this thresd till 1 May 2014 as that is the start of the campaign and I will be in Hospital for heart surgery and will be gone for some time.

In the Photo Gallery, The gallery will be marked as !MSW Campaign: Mighty Battleship. that is where you will post your photo's and will be set up tonight also.

Have a great campaign,
Cheers,
Bruce
steviecee
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Model Shipwrights: 38 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 09:42 AM UTC
good luck with your surgery
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 12:20 PM UTC
Hello all,
I am going into Hospital on monday for a triple bypass heart surgery. You have the thread for the campaign, the photo gallery so you are all set for the campaign.
I will be off=line for a month, so good luck and have fun with your builds.
Cheers,
Bruce
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 12:44 PM UTC
Get well quickly. Thoughts and prayers
Removed by original poster on 05/02/14 - 01:33:38 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 05/02/14 - 01:40:37 (GMT).
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 01:41 PM UTC
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 10:37 PM UTC
All the best Bruce!

Well here's my entry: I'm building HMS KGV as of May '41 when she took down the Bismarck. I'm using the Tamiya POW as the base kit...

and modifying it to the KGV using these...

Shinsengumi wood deck and WEM PE

model master barrels and oerlikons

WEM Resin UP launchers and 8 barrelled pom poms
and for references

Happy building...
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 08:27 AM UTC
Yet another KGV! Ready to go with HMS Duke of York.

Again the base kit is the Tamiya HMS Prince of Wales, this time with the Pontos conversion / Upgrade.

Inside the Tamiya Box.

Inside the Pontos box.

And of course the time & date.

Hope to get cracking over the long weekend.

Si

beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Model Shipwrights: 645 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 12:04 AM UTC
Well here I go as well and guess what I,am doing the KGV but using the Tamiya KGV with the white ensign PE set. This build will be more of an introduction into using the PE on a 350 scale model for the first time so will be asking for some help form Simon and Russell as well as others and just basic copying your work as I,am totally lost in this scale more used to 1/35 and 1/72 scale subjects so this is were the nightmares begin

RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 12:35 AM UTC
And the RN gets out to an early lead on the ship count...

Good to see the KGV class well represented so far

Holy moley Si, that's a lot of aftermarket!!!

Keith, you've chosen a good kit to cut your teeth on. The KGV class were relatively straight forward ships with not too much fancy details & Tamiya kits are beautiful executions of tooling.

I'll be more than happy to help if I can & I'm betting Si will too
beefy66
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 01:45 AM UTC
Russell thanks for the HELP offer I think I will need it my eyes are going all fuzzy just looking at the PE

Keith
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 06:20 AM UTC
Of Course Keith, as Russell says, any advise I would be only too pleased to assist.

There is quite a bit Russell, and all comes in one box, your collection is non to shabby either.

Kicking off the build, this one is going to be full hull, so propeller shafts & rudder first. don't know about you guys, but some quite heavy mould seams to clean up, but all went together pretty well.

Looking at the kit deck & the Pontos deck, most of the detail is going to need to be removed, and that will have to be done prior to fitting.

But as it was a nice day, out into the garden to shoot some Halfords red plastic primer at the hull.

I will be using this as the anti fouling colour.

The destruction has started, with fo'c's'le section of the deck.

More soon.

Si

Removed by original poster on 05/05/14 - 02:13:34 (GMT).
SqzMyLemon
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 66 posts
Model Shipwrights: 60 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 02:20 PM UTC
Here is my entry for the campaign. I'll be tackling the Trumpeter 1:350 Italian RM Roma with the Flyhawk super detail set, a pontos wooden deck and the Warship Pictoral #37 for reference.

RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 10:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There is quite a bit Russell, and all comes in one box, your collection is non to shabby either.

Kicking off the build, this one is going to be full hull, so propeller shafts & rudder first. don't know about you guys, but some quite heavy mould seams to clean up, but all went together pretty well.

Wow Si, talk about clearing the decks! Pontos sure do expect you to replace a fair bit don't they?

My kit is clean as a whistle. One of the reasons I was hesitant to join the campaign was because the last few outings have been spent cleaning up some pretty ordinary seams. I was worried that if i signed up for the campaign I would spend a great deal of time cleaning them up and possibly not finishing in time. These kits were made by another model company whose name starts with "T" as well but shall remain nameless.

But on examination of Tamiya's kit I was pleasantly surprised! This is quality toolmaking and the rest as they say is history...
beefy66
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 - 12:18 AM UTC
Nameless but not seamless Eahh Russell

Simon what are you doing your scaring the Cr~~~p out of me already sanding off all that detail on the decks?? No wooden deck for me my build is just supposed to be me getting used to adding PE

Joseph welcome to the MAD house nice looking kit

Keith
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
Model Shipwrights: 630 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 - 03:58 AM UTC
3 tries and I couldn't get my cellphone time and date to comeout in the images I took. I may have to go low-tech and but a newpaper.

Just bought a few PE sets for my Revell kit and after taking a closer look at the old 1/535 pieces, I began to wonder what got myself into. I forgot about the molded in 20mm guns and still considering whethter to remove the molded anchor chain and replace it.

This was supposed to be a kit to use for focusing on water making but I want the ship to be more than just OOB.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 - 09:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nameless but not seamless Eahh Russell

Simon what are you doing your scaring the Cr~~~p out of me already sanding off all that detail on the decks?? No wooden deck for me my build is just supposed to be me getting used to adding PE

Joseph welcome to the MAD house nice looking kit

Keith

Don't stress too much, Keith. You and I are using the WEM PE which is not as far reaching in terms of modifying the base kit as the Pontos set.

Very nice choice of subject, Joseph.

Michael, what ship will you be building?
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 - 09:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael, what ship will you be building?

I'm using a Revell 1/535 kit to do the USS New Jersey. I thought it'd be perfect for a sea going display given it has no shaft or propellar details. Bigger than 1/700 but smaller than 1/350 and plenty of PE sets available to dress it up.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 - 10:04 AM UTC
Hi Russell,

Must have been unlucky with my pop shafts then. There is a stuff to replace the removed detail, and incorporate all the differences between the POW in '41 and DOY in '43

Hi Keith,

Apologies, no intention to scare anything out of anybody, most Wood decks fit with minimal or no modification modification, but this is to cover a sister ship at a different time, so makes sense to strip the all the existing detail, rather than mess about trying to remove snip odd bits out and add some new. You may want to hide behind the sofa for the next pic....

All the maindeck components cleaned up.

and fitted, almost perfect, just a lick of filler at the very bow, all down the sides and the three transverse joins, perfect.

The lower hull masked off and sprayed with Citadel Chaos Black. (I know it looks grey, but it is black, just the light)

The boot topping masked, the black does look black here.

Then shot with Tamiya TS66, yes I know it says Kure Arsenal grey on the Tin, but it is so close to AP507B, especially over a black base it works for me.

Finally the masking removed and the barbettes, main & secondary picked out in XF80 (AP507C).

Of to the Barnet model show at the RAF museum Hendon, noth London next sunday, so hope too get the deck on and some of the basic superstructure units together, then comes the stricky stuff.

Si
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 - 10:32 AM UTC
Wow, Simon you're moving right along!

Here, at least, are the in box picures I had taken.

The box itself:

The inside:

Hull:

Molded on 20mmm guns!:

The included medalion replica of the the surrender plaque on the real Missouri:

And a shot of an attempt to get the date using my wife's cell phone. Only thing you can clearly see is my wife's wallpaper of me sleeping with on of our cat's perched on me:

beefy66
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 12:28 AM UTC
Simon very neat paint job and decking fit

Michael looking very relaxed there

Keith
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 08:27 AM UTC
Thanks Michael, like to get cracking, this gets the "boring bit" out of the way. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the Mighty Mo, remember that kit from my Childhood.

Thanks Keith, The deck was a very good fit, as long the bow & stern sections are fitted first. The Halfords red plastic primer is good stuff too, and close enough to anti fouling red as to make no odds,

Si
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 09:45 AM UTC
Hi Si

to be honest I didn't consider the prop shafts. 99.9% of the time I replace with either brass or plastic rod/tube as it's nigh impossible to mould a truly round part.

Hi Michael, I think I built the IOWA version of that kit in my teens-I'll see if I can get a picture up for you
 _GOTOTOP