_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
The King! - HMS King George V, May 41
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 10:49 PM UTC
Hi all!

I'm going to be building HMS King George v as of May '41 when she took down the Bismarck.

This is my entry in the battleships campaign, but I thought I'd keep a blog of the build as well for the nitty gritty details!

I'm using the Tamiya Prince of Wales as the base kit

and converting to King George V using these...

shinsengumi wooden deck and WEM PE

model master barrels and oerlikons

WEM resin UP launchers and pom poms
And for references...

I hope to finish this one within a year for the campaign, and on initial impressions of the kit I'd have to say that it's a do-er! The mouldings are exquisite! I really can't see myself spending a great deal of time correcting and matching seams and fixing fitment issues (unlike certain other recent kits...)
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 10:51 PM UTC
Lots of interesting add-ons Russell, the 350th scale 20mm's look intimidating
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 10:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Lots of interesting add-ons Russell, the 350th scale 20mm's look intimidating

They do have me a little worried, to be honest, Julian.
SqzMyLemon
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 66 posts
Model Shipwrights: 60 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 03:21 AM UTC
Hi Russell,

It will be great to see this built up. I started a Tamiya 1:350 King George V years ago and even started a thread here, but RL and a sense of intimidation set in that quickly derailed the project.

I'm going to try and complete the BB Roma for the campaign build.

Anyway, what I wanted to mention was that I have the Pontos detail set for the 1941 King George V, but I'm building the late version. I haven't looked at the Pontos set in awhile, but if I can easily separate the parts for the aircraft catapult, rails and whatnot would you be interested in adding them to your kit? I could then send them to you before you got too far into your build. If interested just drop me a line and I'll get on it right away.

I'm hoping the numerous KGV builds about to start will inspire me to build my kit in tandem with the Roma. I'm really looking forward to following your build.

Joseph
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
Model Shipwrights: 630 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 03:55 AM UTC
Is The King George V kit of a later fitting than '41 and the Prince of Wales a better representation of that time?
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 09:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Russell,

It will be great to see this built up. I started a Tamiya 1:350 King George V years ago and even started a thread here, but RL and a sense of intimidation set in that quickly derailed the project.

I'm going to try and complete the BB Roma for the campaign build.

Anyway, what I wanted to mention was that I have the Pontos detail set for the 1941 King George V, but I'm building the late version. I haven't looked at the Pontos set in awhile, but if I can easily separate the parts for the aircraft catapult, rails and whatnot would you be interested in adding them to your kit? I could then send them to you before you got too far into your build. If interested just drop me a line and I'll get on it right away.

I'm hoping the numerous KGV builds about to start will inspire me to build my kit in tandem with the Roma. I'm really looking forward to following your build.

Joseph

Hi Joseph!

That's a very generous offer! I would be very grateful if you wouldn't mind sending the Pontos details for the catapult all the way to Australia. Let me know if that's okay and I'll PM you my address.

I do hope that you are inspired to complete your KGV build-it will be great to see some pics of both it and the Roma you are building.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 09:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is The King George V kit of a later fitting than '41 and the Prince of Wales a better representation of that time?

Hi Michael.

Yes indeed it is! The King George V class battleships differed very little aside from a few minor details.

The Tamiya 1/350 Prince of Wales kit represents the ships of the class before the 1944 refits when they were still fitted out with a catapult deck and hangers. Because there was little difference between the ships of the class, it is quite easy to convert the POW into any of the other ships of the class in this earlier fit.

If you go with the Tamiya 1/350 KGV kit you will have the ability to build any of the class after the refit, which saw the boat deck relocated as well as the changes mentioned above and the addition of more AA guns.

Hope this helps...
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 10:10 PM UTC
Hi Russell, all,

I've been a quiet observer here for quite some time, watching almost all builds here with great interest - great stuff, all of you!!

Now seeing two KGV appearing at the same time, I thought I should comment - maybe I should comment a little more anyway, supporting the builders who's work I enjoy...

Anyway, great kit and add ons, I did a PoW in her Force Z appaerence some time ago. In particular the Master Oerlikons are great, though they may appear a little intimidating at first. I did a small build log on those two years ago, and used it for myself a year later with the next build - maybe it could be of some help:

http://modell-helling.de/node/361

- hope the link works, it's German, but plenty pictures.

I will watch your build with highest interest (as I did with your Prinz!!) and try to be a little more active in the future...

All the best for your build!

Jan
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Model Shipwrights: 645 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 12:09 AM UTC
Hey Russell will be watching and taking notes from you for my KGV build not as many add on,s but using the PE set just to get me started into this scale of ship model starting to get very worried now

Keith
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 12:43 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Jan & Keith!

Jan that is a great build log! Thank you for the link!

Keith, don't be too worried-just try to think of ship kits as a few smaller kits that get assembled together down the track.

Am more than happy to help if you get stuck
SqzMyLemon
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 - 03:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joseph!

That's a very generous offer! I would be very grateful if you wouldn't mind sending the Pontos details for the catapult all the way to Australia. Let me know if that's okay and I'll PM you my address.

I do hope that you are inspired to complete your KGV build-it will be great to see some pics of both it and the Roma you are building.

Hi Russell,

I took a quick look through the Pontos instruction sheet and figured out which parts to send. Next I just have to determine the best way to detach the parts and package them up to avoid damage. If you'd like to e-mail your address, I'll be all set to get the package off to you quickly.

Joseph
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 - 09:51 AM UTC
All done, Joseph.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 - 06:09 PM UTC
Hi Joseph

would it be too forward of me to enquire if you will need the UP launcher shields at the after quarter deck and on the main armament?
SqzMyLemon
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 - 06:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joseph

would it be too forward of me to enquire if you will need the UP launcher shields at the after quarter deck and on the main armament?

Not at all. I'm hoping to send you whatever applies to the KGV for 1941 as I certainly won't need the parts. I just hope I don't forget anything. I should be able to mail this out to you by Wednesday or Thursday. You should be covered by the WEM set for radar and such including the degaussing cable I believe.

The Pontos instructions are available online from their website so you can print them at your leisure. It will also give you a chance to see what you might need and remind me to include it in case I miss something. As long as I don't need it I have no problem sending as much as possible to help your build.

RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 - 06:37 PM UTC
You are a gentleman, thank you Joseph.

Yes the WEM set is very comprehensive, and it really only lacks the UP launcher shields and base plates, and the catapult.

Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 - 11:02 PM UTC
Hi Russell,
Looks like it will be an interesting build. With so many KGVs to follow it will be great to see the various approaches. You guys could almost have had your own campaign
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 09:49 AM UTC
Haha, true that Michael!
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 11:52 PM UTC
May 11th update.
On the back of the deck pieces where there are joins I always cement a sheet of styrene or interlocking tabs of styrene to make sure the deck pieces are flush when assembled.

of course a trip to the floor with clamps on results in areas that need to be filled...

assembled

deck pieces flush

molded anchor chains removed

hose reels and spars removed so that the wooden deck will fit. I'll need to replace these later on with some AM kit. The water's there because she just had a bath to remove all the filings..

prop shaft struts and rudder fitted. The rudder will be cleaned up once the glue sets properly.

Just the degausing cable to add before painting now.

So far the Tamiya kit has been a dream. The only filling required was because of the trip to the floor which was my fault, and right at the very ends of the decks between the hull...

More soon.
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Model Shipwrights: 645 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 01:37 AM UTC
Nice one Russell will have to add the supports to mine when I make a start which will probably be next weekend so I can finish off a couple of projects thanks for the tip

Keith
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 03:21 AM UTC
Nice work Russell,
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 05:48 AM UTC
Nice progress indeed Russell, your trick with the styrene sheets is extremely simple but effective - that's normally the best! Looking at it, I only thought - why didn't I think of that myself? Will do it with the next project...

I did the Tamiya PoW about two years ago as PoW in December '41, but with the add ons not too different from your project. The kit is really good and a lot of fun to build.
I remember however that I fixed the deck to the hull much later; when you add the propeller shafts you will find that you have some ugly holes where they enter the hull. I filled that with some brown plastic putty from inside the hull, worked ok.

Here's a link to what I did then, maybe you can draw some ideas from it...

http://modell-helling.de/node/637

Again, text is German, but should you have questions - more than happy to help.

Jan
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 10:25 PM UTC
Wow! Fantastic build, Jan.

Can only hope mine's half as good as yours.

yes, you're right about the prop shaft holes in the hull. Not sure what to do about that yet...
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 10:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice one Russell will have to add the supports to mine when I make a start which will probably be next weekend so I can finish off a couple of projects thanks for the tip

Keith

no worries mate
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 10:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work Russell,

Thanks mate
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2014 - 09:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow! Fantastic build, Jan.

Can only hope mine's half as good as yours.

yes, you're right about the prop shaft holes in the hull. Not sure what to do about that yet...

Re the prop shafts, I presume the holes are too big and the shafts too small? Easiest fix is to just glue them in place then fill the gaps with a little CA. Or I have also used white glue successfully.

Good work so far mate. The Pontos set should be interesting, because the instructions are not renowned for their accuracy..

Cheers mate
Warren

_GOTOTOP