Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
The King! - HMS King George V, May 41
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2015 - 02:42 AM UTC
Thanks Si and Dave.

hope to have the boats finished this week.

Good to have your support guys, as this build has become a real slog
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2015 - 04:57 AM UTC
Hi Russell,

At LAX airport re-reading this blog from the beginning.
It's a great build and the effort on the detail is superb.
Keep the faith, you'll get there.

cheers

Michael
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2015 - 10:25 AM UTC
Hi Russ,

good to see you're back as well!!

Patience and not getting frustrated whenever progress is slow is most important. And progress may be slow because of some tiny, fiddly parts, some smaller or bigger mishaps at the yard or simply because you don't have the time to sit down at the bench...the latter one can be very frustrating, too.

Very nice update, the small boats look way to kind as if the could have anything like revenge on they mind but than agin, still waters... just kidding.

They should look great on your King!! looking forward to see more!

Cheers ,

Jan
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2015 - 02:04 PM UTC
Thank you very much, Michael and Jan!

Slow but steady wins the race...

Michael LAX is a long way from NZ! But seriously close to some great sights! Hope you get the chance to see some great tourist items-perhaps some of the salty kind too (There's a liberty ship not far in San Fran )

I've decided upon the title of the follow up to "Night of the Pom Pom" and "Revenge of the boats" and it will be called "Return of the Prinz"
Plasticat
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 448 posts
Model Shipwrights: 135 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2015 - 08:28 PM UTC
Just wanted to throw in an extra "GREAT JOB" on your build! I've been amazed through the whole process and was holding my breath when the paint went haywire. But you've met every challenge with great skill and endurance. I am looking forward to every instalment!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 04:00 AM UTC
Well done on the little floaties Russel!! Very nice!
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 05:58 AM UTC

Michael LAX is a long way from NZ! But seriously close to some great sights! Hope you get the chance to see some great tourist items-perhaps some of the salty kind too (There's a liberty ship not far in San Fran )

You're right there Russ.
Actually I was on my home from NY. Had time to go and visit Intrepid which was pretty cool. First time on a carrier! And probably the only carrier that comes with its own space shuttle and Concorde

cheers

Michael
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 01:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just wanted to throw in an extra "GREAT JOB" on your build! I've been amazed through the whole process and was holding my breath when the paint went haywire. But you've met every challenge with great skill and endurance. I am looking forward to every instalment!

Thank you very much Leroy

Quoted Text

Well done on the little floaties Russel!! Very nice!;)

Thanks Todd-its kinda funny how little floaties help make the big floaty

Quoted Text

You're right there Russ.
Actually I was on my home from NY. Had time to go and visit Intrepid which was pretty cool. First time on a carrier! And probably the only carrier that comes with its own space shuttle and Concorde

cheers

Michael

Ah, a most excellent flat top! Hope you got lots of piccies to share with your fellow MSW's

Wishing you a safe trip home!
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 03:47 PM UTC
16th November 2015,

Hi folks, herein lies the progress pictures of the ships boats! All finished and shipped

and some overall views...

Now, this will be my last update on the King for a little while I'm afraid. The last few months have been a real slog to get the pom-poms and boats out, and I can't say I've enjoyed myself too much. But I promise I will come back and finish her eventually, so sit tight.

For the time being, I'm going to build a few wing-things, a car, and generally try to have fun again building models. No filler, no sanding, and NO PHOTO ETCH!

You'll see me over on the Aeroscale forum as I post a few of these builds up, but I'll still be here among the docks watching everyone's great builds.

After that, I'm gonna try to finish the Prinz Eugen for the cruiser campaign, so I hope you can all join me for that.

Thanks for being a part of the journey so far and sharing the highs and lows. As I said above, I promise I will come back and finish her-just not yet.
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2015 - 06:12 AM UTC
Russell,

First off amazi,g work with the boats. They are icredibly clean and look amazing.

Can't say I blame you for giving her a bit of a rest. I can empathize as I am at the same point with the Maya. Luckily though I just need to clean her up a bit and she is finished

Good luck with you other builds

Dave
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2015 - 10:36 AM UTC
Russ,

your boats turned out absolutely amazing - sharp, clean and spotless. As is your entire wonderful King so far! Every bit and detail shows the tremendous effort and attention not only to detail, but to sharp and spotless work!!

I am sad to see you putting her aside, but I can clearly understand where you are coming from - and trying to finish her 'somehow' just to get it done would not do this wonderful model justice, there's a good chance that you would spoil what you have accomplished so far. I know very well how important it can be to take a deliberate brake!

So I wish you lots of fun with your 'back to basic modeling' just for your enjoyment!! This is our hobby, so first of all it must be fun, if we don't look forward to some bench time, something's wrong!!

I'll be watching you on the other side, though I probably won't start commenting over there. And I am looking forward very much to see you resuming work on your Prinz, mate!! Remember, it's just over eight months to go in the cruiser's campaign!

Cheers my friend and you're doing the right thing! I'll be there watching your King progressing whenever the time is right for you!!

Jan
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2015 - 11:59 AM UTC
They certainly add colour and contrast to her Russell. They look great onboard.....Cheers Mark
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2015 - 03:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Russell,

First off amazi,g work with the boats. They are icredibly clean and look amazing.

Can't say I blame you for giving her a bit of a rest. I can empathize as I am at the same point with the Maya. Luckily though I just need to clean her up a bit and she is finished

Good luck with you other builds

Dave

Thank you very much, Dave

yep, time for a break and to get back to basics

Good luck with the Maya. I'll be looking in when you post the finished pictures

Quoted Text

Russ,

your boats turned out absolutely amazing - sharp, clean and spotless. As is your entire wonderful King so far! Every bit and detail shows the tremendous effort and attention not only to detail, but to sharp and spotless work!!

I am sad to see you putting her aside, but I can clearly understand where you are coming from - and trying to finish her 'somehow' just to get it done would not do this wonderful model justice, there's a good chance that you would spoil what you have accomplished so far. I know very well how important it can be to take a deliberate brake!

So I wish you lots of fun with your 'back to basic modeling' just for your enjoyment!! This is our hobby, so first of all it must be fun, if we don't look forward to some bench time, something's wrong!!

I'll be watching you on the other side, though I probably won't start commenting over there. And I am looking forward very much to see you resuming work on your Prinz, mate!! Remember, it's just over eight months to go in the cruiser's campaign!

Cheers my friend and you're doing the right thing! I'll be there watching your King progressing whenever the time is right for you!!

Jan

Thank you so much Jan

you are so right, mate. Finishing just for the sake of finishing results in compromises. I've already started to see my standards slip as the time dragged on with the pom-poms and boats, so, yes, time for a break.

Good to know that you'll be looking in on my experiments in aviation Definitely will be doing it for fun, so there'll be no rivet counting that's for sure. I plan to spend the time between now and Christmas on small simple kits, then in the new year, get back to the Prinz for the cruiser campaign.

Your Belfast is looking magnificent, and is very enjoyable to watch.

Quoted Text

They certainly add colour and contrast to her Russell. They look great onboard.....Cheers Mark

Thanks Mark. Just one last thing to do before I move her up out of the way. I nearly knocked off one of the directors when i shipped the boats, so will need to glue that back on first
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2015 - 11:58 PM UTC
Ahoy Russell

A superb effort of this ship to date.

I can totally understand how you feel.

My Airfix E-Boat has had the same effect on me.

You have plan which is great.

Enjoy the wingy things and I hope we see you back here with a renewed outlook.

Cheers

Sean
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 05:02 AM UTC
Hi Russ,
Sorry to see The King! sent to the back of the bench.
I agree that sometimes the ships we build get bogged down in the attention to detail. But I will see you on Aeroscale as I have just completed a campaign there and signed up for another. Those wing things can be so much simpler!

All the best,

cheers

Michael
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 05:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahoy Russell

A superb effort of this ship to date.

I can totally understand how you feel.

My Airfix E-Boat has had the same effect on me.

You have plan which is great.

Enjoy the wingy things and I hope we see you back here with a renewed outlook.

Cheers

Sean

Thank you very much Sean

Best wishes for the E-Boat! Hopefully the mojo returns soon!

Quoted Text

Hi Russ,
Sorry to see The King! sent to the back of the bench.
I agree that sometimes the ships we build get bogged down in the attention to detail. But I will see you on Aeroscale as I have just completed a campaign there and signed up for another. Those wing things can be so much simpler!

All the best,

cheers

Michael

Thanks Michael!

Will see you over on Aeroscale-which campaigns? I like to look in quietly on most campaigns over on the wing thing site and quietly watch with awe.

You're right, planes are so much simpler and come together so much quicker than a ship...
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 02:40 PM UTC
Hi Russ,
I am giving the Canvas Falcons ago. Not many pieces, no photo-etch, just some rigging which it a bit like masts...sort of

cheeers
Michael
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 02:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Russ,
I am giving the Canvas Falcons ago. Not many pieces, no photo-etch, just some rigging which it a bit like masts...sort of

cheeers
Michael

Sound's like fun, Michael, I'll be watching
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 01:45 AM UTC
Very nice work Russ,

The boats add a nice splash of colour.

Don't blame you for taking a break. I had to do the same with My 1915 HMS Tiger. Promise I will get back to her.

Looking forward to seeing the Prinz coming along on the cruiser campaign.

Cheers.

Si
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 04:47 AM UTC
Small breaks are all that is needed some times! Those latest pics certainly show all the hard work you've put into here until now! Try and enjoy the downtime! We'll be here when the dock workers are done with their strike!!
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 01:59 PM UTC
Thanks guys!

yeah, the dock yard workers are all on annual leave and gone off to play with some wing things for the remainder of the year...
berndm
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 844 posts
Model Shipwrights: 151 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 - 01:43 AM UTC
Hello Russel, i missed a lot, your work on the "pom poms" is excellent as on the the boats !
Not every aftermarket product is an improvement in terms of accuracy, so its good to have scale plans. ( Hood has only three ! )
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 - 03:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Russel, i missed a lot, your work on the "pom poms" is excellent as on the the boats !
Not every aftermarket product is an improvement in terms of accuracy, so its good to have scale plans. ( Hood has only three ! )

Hi Bernd!

thanks for the kind words, mate. Good to see you back here on MSW! Looking forward to seeing your Hood progress
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2018 - 02:19 AM UTC

mgrummitt
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
Model Shipwrights: 105 posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2018 - 02:41 AM UTC