Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
The King! - HMS King George V, May 41
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2018 - 10:31 AM UTC
ok folks, I've come across a problem.

Albeit, I'll admit, a self made one. Gasp! (not the first time either that this has happened, I know, I know, forehead slap! )

Apparently I thought I was clever in cutting up the crane jibs and then gluing them back together to avoid unsightly gaps. But it turns out that I'm not. (Clever that is) Tut-tut, I hear you say.

Anyways, as I have been attempting to assemble the jibs with the crane cabs I've discovered that they have an awful twist in them which is very visible even to the casual observer!

So, now I am putting out a request out to all my MSW mates to see if anyone has a spare set of PE cranes (WEM or Pontos pls) for the KGV that they'd be willing to part with/that they no longer require? (for a fee of course )

I did consider buying another WEM PE set for her, but the high cost versus the fact that I would only use the cranes and that the rest would go to waste has put me off that option...

Any help or leads would be appreciated...
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2018 - 07:17 PM UTC
Can't help you with the cranes but just caught up with the rest of your progress and it looks superb. Great work on those launchers. the attention to detail is fantastic. I must admit I always just rely on the plans, clearly wrongly assuming they may know what they're doing. More research in future I Think.

cheers

Michael
Choowy
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 125 posts
Model Shipwrights: 125 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2018 - 10:11 AM UTC
I thought you were taking the mickey with those UP launchers, they look right at home on a 21 century ship, very futuristic looking. Never seen them before in a WW2 era ship. Interesting.
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 06:45 AM UTC
Russ,

that's so great to see some progress on your fine King!!

And you are doing a mighty fine job, Mate!! Nothing improves the look of a battleship more than getting the big guns installed. I really do like the way you aligned the barrels, they certainly look the part! So do the UP's (even though the very entirely useless, but they do look smart...), now that's some great improvement and progress right there!!

Cheers,
Jan
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 12:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Can't help you with the cranes but just caught up with the rest of your progress and it looks superb. Great work on those launchers. the attention to detail is fantastic. I must admit I always just rely on the plans, clearly wrongly assuming they may know what they're doing. More research in future I Think.

cheers

Michael

Michael

Haha, yes, I think you're correct: I've pushed my luck one too many times ignoring the instructions and this time it's bit me on the butt

Thanks for dropping by and looking in mate. The PE for the UP launchers were a chance gift from another model ship wright, so I'm quite lucky there

Quoted Text

I thought you were taking the mickey with those UP launchers, they look right at home on a 21 century ship, very futuristic looking. Never seen them before in a WW2 era ship. Interesting.

Ned

Thanks for looking in Ned. Agree, those UP launchers look pretty futuristic and wouldn't look outta place on a modern AWD. But in reality were quite useless and quickly replaced with Pom Poms

Quoted Text

Russ,

that's so great to see some progress on your fine King!!

And you are doing a mighty fine job, Mate!! Nothing improves the look of a battleship more than getting the big guns installed. I really do like the way you aligned the barrels, they certainly look the part! So do the UP's (even though the very entirely useless, but they do look smart...), now that's some great improvement and progress right there!!

Cheers,
Jan

Jan

Thanks for looking in mate

Agree, it's great to finally see her get her "teeth" so to speak, even though it took around 4 years

It's now down to the details to finish her off... For the cranes, I may have a "cunning plan"

Watch this space...
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 12:08 AM UTC
update 20th September, 2018

continuing with the trend of around a month between updates here's where I'm at. Bench time has been rather restricted of late, so there's not as much progress as I'd like.

First up I built the HACS directors with the 285 directors on top.

And then the type 282 directors.

Of course then I checked my references and remembered that KGV did not have either at the time of the Bismarck episode!

So that was a good waste of 2 weeks! New HACS directors and the correct UP directors are on their way from Northstar at this time!

Then I thought I'd assemble one of the cranes, and you can see here what I previously mentioned about the twist!

So these will be replaced, probably by the Eduard cranes I haven't used!

At this point I thought I'd better turn my attention to something that I may have some success with: The 5.25"s!

The barrels were trimmed and glued in the same method as the 15"s. One per day to give the 2 part epoxy 24hours to cure whilst clamped to the jig!

There's still a few details to add to the 5.25" turrets before painting. I'm thinking of painting the ladders separately though.

Thanks again for your patience with this build and sticking around!
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 12:31 AM UTC
Russell,

PE is looking mighty fine and the alignment of the metal barrels look spot on. Nice work.

Mark
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 12:47 AM UTC
Russ,

I always thought those Tamiya barrels looked pretty good, but those turned brass beauties are even more delicate and precise!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 09:00 AM UTC
Nice work on the 5.25s and the directors mate.

Very tidy indeed. I know what you mean about the ladders, I have blown them off the mount with the airbrush before now.

Good to see some progress again.

Cheers

Si
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 - 06:51 PM UTC
Hi Russ,
I've done that before but I am sure you find another use for the directors. The barrels look great so keep up the monthly updates

cheers
Michael
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 09:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Russell,

PE is looking mighty fine and the alignment of the metal barrels look spot on. Nice work.

Mark

Thanks Mark! I sure hope they look okay when assembled!

Quoted Text

Russ,

I always thought those Tamiya barrels looked pretty good, but those turned brass beauties are even more delicate and precise!

Thanks Tim! I know right? How (and why) we manage smaller barrels than these is beyond me... ah, us salty types!

Quoted Text

Nice work on the 5.25s and the directors mate.

Very tidy indeed. I know what you mean about the ladders, I have blown them off the mount with the airbrush before now.

Good to see some progress again.

Cheers

Si

Thanks Si I know what you mean about the windy stick and floor vortex! Sadly no spare ladders are included so it's going to be a tricky operation to say the least

Quoted Text

Hi Russ,
I've done that before but I am sure you find another use for the directors. The barrels look great so keep up the monthly updates

cheers
Michael

Thanks Michael, will do it's getting busier and busier heading into the festive season so will definitely be standing firm and keeping one night a week for bench time!

And, yes, the HACS directors with 285 directors and the 282's are stored safely in the spares box. The Northstar replacements have arrived, and I'm not intimidated by them at all
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2018 - 11:02 PM UTC
Hi folks

my apologies once again for delays in updates. Real life is keeping me away from any meaningful time at the bench which means progress has been slow.

It's Mrs E's 40th a few a weeks and preparations are taking the bulk of my free time.

After that I should get a bit of time before Christmas. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again for sticking around
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 10:18 PM UTC
Ok, a mini update before I take a couple of weeks away from the bench for preparations for Mrs E's B-day!

This time it's the 5.25"s that are in for some TLC.

With all the barrels painted and the main housing painted (which unfortunately I didn't get any shots of-sorry) it's time to mask for the Dark Deck Grey (formerly thought to be AP507A)
My technique for masking: using a combination of Tamiya flexible tape, conventional masking tape and liquid mask to fill in the gaps

and under paint

masking off

and assembled with the separately painted barrels and ladders

and ready for action

Like the main guns these won't be permanently mounted to the ship until after the clear coats to allow easier access with the airbrush.

Will be back in November with an update on the Walrus
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2018 - 12:27 AM UTC
Russell,

The gun assemblies look awesome. The added detail and two tone paint scheme really makes the pop.

Mark
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2018 - 07:38 AM UTC
Great work on the 5.25s Russ,

That shape is a pain to mask.

Cheers

Si
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2018 - 09:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Russell,

The gun assemblies look awesome. The added detail and two tone paint scheme really makes the pop.

Mark

Thanks Mark it's one of those items that seems to make her look "finished" even though there's heaps to go.

Quoted Text

Great work on the 5.25s Russ,

That shape is a pain to mask.

Cheers

Si

Thanks Si Sure was a p.i.t.a. Took me 2 whole weeks to mask all 8. I've masked complicated a/c camo patterns in less time that
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 01:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sure was a p.i.t.a. Took me 2 whole weeks to mask all 8. I've masked complicated a/c camo patterns in less time that

Russ, I know what you mean - so much effort for such a simple effect! The two-tone camou really does give these mounts a smart, refined look, though. Worth the effort, I say!
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 06:16 AM UTC
Nice update Russell.

Great work on all that masking it looks great.

Good luck with plans for the significant birthday ahead.

Cheers

Sean
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 08:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Sure was a p.i.t.a. Took me 2 whole weeks to mask all 8. I've masked complicated a/c camo patterns in less time that

Russ, I know what you mean - so much effort for such a simple effect! The two-tone camou really does give these mounts a smart, refined look, though. Worth the effort, I say!

Thank you Tim! Small steps at this stage, as per the usual grind with BB's. Lots of details, seemingly getting nowhere, then suddenly: Bam! it's done!

Quoted Text

Nice update Russell.

Great work on all that masking it looks great.

Good luck with plans for the significant birthday ahead.

Cheers

Sean

Thanks Sean! I'm working on a big artwork piece as a backdrop with a "Sin City" theme. Guests all wearing b&w and the birthday girl her fave colour (Blue). Let's see if I can pull it off-might whack a picture or 2 up
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2018 - 07:39 AM UTC
Great guns Russ! Your attention to detail is always great.
And good luck with Sin City!

cheers
Michael
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 07:17 AM UTC
Hi Russ,

mighty fine work, mate!! The 5.25" look the part, I can feel your pain with the masking business!!

It's great to see your King grow - slow but steady! I'm about to join back in into the glacier race!

Cheers,
Jan
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2018 - 09:17 PM UTC
Thanks Mark, Jan!

Slow n steady as she goes!
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 08:38 PM UTC
ok, time for my monthly up date

First up, I thought I'd share a couple of pics of the back drop I made for Mrs E's 40th birthday party!

Masking and spraying

a garage is definitely handy

the finished product

We had lit mirror balls and leds around the outside to complete the effect.
With the dress code as black and white and my wife dressed in blue (think Sin City) it was quite visually effective!

and the cake..

enough diversion

Since then I've managed to put together the Walrus

the kit starts out quite basic with a great big plastic post to support the engine

the top wing then gets glued onto the post sticking out of the top of the engine. You'll notice I've drilled out the fore and aft gunners positions as well.

I decided to cut the post off joining the fuselage and the engine and only attach the engine to the top wing to give a more realistic appearance. I also drilled out the front of the engine's air intake

assembly was then a matter of choosing between the WEM, Eduard and Pontos PE for what I thought gave the best result. I used pliers to twist the propeller to give more of a 3d shape to the blades.

the machine guns have the most impossibly small attachment points-I nearly went cross eyed trying to fit them

Next up I'll be adding paint. I'll be using the venerable old 1/72 Airfix Walrus painting guide from a previous build to hopefully come somewhere close to what was used on board

more soon
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 09:05 PM UTC
Nice job on the Walrus, Russ.

All etched up like that, they do add a lot to the finished build.

Nice set up for your good lady's upcoming celebration.

Cheers

si
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 09:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice job on the Walrus, Russ.

All etched up like that, they do add a lot to the finished build.

Nice set up for your good lady's upcoming celebration.

Cheers

si

Thanks mate-the night went off like a frog in a sock!