Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
The King! - HMS King George V, May 41
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2018 - 08:32 AM UTC
Russ,

That is a great idea to glue some sandpaper to that rod to finish off the removal.

Mark
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 08:31 AM UTC
Hi Russ,

as everybody already said, very cool progress and a really good idea/approach with the PomPom directors and your special tools!!

I wish you and your shipyard workers (and all those that have to tolerate that, aka family) a merry Christmas, wonderful holidays and all the best for now, Mate!!

Cheers,
Jan
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 09:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The King is looking the part, Russ. Great use of the homemade tool! Can't wait to see the new directors in place - go North Star!

Thanks Tim

Thank goodness for AM companies like Northstar!

Quoted Text

Great idea Russ,

If you don't mind I will nick it when I get the P.O.W.

The North Star directors will look the business in place,

Cheers

Si

Thanks Si

please, be my guest and "nick" away

Quoted Text

Russ,

That is a great idea to glue some sandpaper to that rod to finish off the removal.

Mark

Thanks Mark

Quoted Text

Hi Russ,

as everybody already said, very cool progress and a really good idea/approach with the PomPom directors and your special tools!!

I wish you and your shipyard workers (and all those that have to tolerate that, aka family) a merry Christmas, wonderful holidays and all the best for now, Mate!!

Cheers,
Jan

Thanks Jan!

Yep, looking forward to boxing day! This week will be full on!

Merry Christmas to you all and best wishes for you and your families for next year!
magnusf
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2019 - 11:44 PM UTC
Russell! Found my way here via the pic in your avatar! You really have your work cut out for you with this one... Looking through your previous posts, this will be impressive when it's finished!

I've always been impressed by grit and a five year project surely matches that definition!

Magnus
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2019 - 12:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Russell! Found my way here via the pic in your avatar! You really have your work cut out for you with this one... Looking through your previous posts, this will be impressive when it's finished!

I've always been impressed by grit and a five year project surely matches that definition!

Magnus

G'day Magnus!

Thanks for dropping by mate, great to see you here.

Yup, this model has been a test for sure. Still that's not to say that this build has taken up the whole 5 years, as Prinz Eugen took around 2.5 years of that time.

It will however be a relief to finish the King and move onto some other models that have loitered in the stash for far too long To that end I've promised the mother in law I'll finish the King before she goes home to Europe in April

The dockyard should reopen on Sunday after an extended Christmas break!
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 - 11:57 AM UTC
time for a sneak peek

RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2019 - 08:52 AM UTC
Hi Russ,

Very sneaky peak, nice to see some progress.

Cheers

Si
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2019 - 09:17 AM UTC
Russ,

That brass rod will make a nice strong mast for rigging.

Mark
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2019 - 03:02 AM UTC
The King is moving ahead!!

Anything is better than nothing, I can tell you, Mate! I keep struggling with my glacier here for myself...

Great to see you are at her again!

Cheers,
Jan
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 - 01:32 AM UTC
Alright, alright, alriiiggght!

Well it's been 4 months since my last update but that's not to say I've been idle! It's just that these final details are quite labour intensive and yet, there's not much to show for it. So, yes, I've been toiling away consistently for a few months now and can finally say I'm ready to paint this sucker!

First up, the mast assemblies: as you can see I've replaced substantial amounts with brass rod and master model tapered yard arms! The yard arms are soldered into place for strength!

Then there's all the other bits ready for paint. I apologize for the poor quality. My young bloke broke my desk lamp and the lighting without it is quite poor.

UP directors from Northstar. These are sooo fragile! I ordered 4 but 2 are not acceptable. Of course now Northstar won't post to Australia anymore either. So hopefully my good mate, Jan can send some over for me

cable reels

bottom of the Northstar HACS directors

and props

Thanks to all those who've been along for the ride. We're nearly there now and ready to catch that glacier!

My mother in law goes back to Europe next week and after that I'll be getting the paint and splashing some around before final assembly ready for railings, clear coats and rigging!
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 - 02:32 AM UTC
Hi Russ,

It is great to see you back on the job with KGV! And those mast assemblies... awesome. I'm about to start on some mast work myself, and I must say, your gorgeous work is inspiring. Now I know how much fun it is to hang out with the in-laws, but your time with the King has been well spent!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 - 11:38 AM UTC
Hi Russ,

what Tim said, great to see the Progress. The King is looking regal!

Bad news all these guys not supplying you. I don't deal direct with north Star any more, their delivery times to the UK are so unreliable, I go through Starling Models, and only order when they have what I an after in stock.

Looking forward to the next update.

Cheers

Si
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 - 12:20 AM UTC
Russel,

Wonderful job with that mast assembly. Your King George is looking mighty fine.

Mark
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 - 12:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Russ,

It is great to see you back on the job with KGV! And those mast assemblies... awesome. I'm about to start on some mast work myself, and I must say, your gorgeous work is inspiring. Now I know how much fun it is to hang out with the in-laws, but your time with the King has been well spent!

Thanks Tim

yes, the time with the Mother in Law has been fun. Certainly been a good help in expanding my Czech vocabulary

Good to hear that I've been in some way an inspiration. Kit masts to me seem to be victim to the limitations of injection molding, so it's always nice to see modellers upgrade them however they can

Quoted Text

Hi Russ,

what Tim said, great to see the Progress. The King is looking regal!

Bad news all these guys not supplying you. I don't deal direct with north Star any more, their delivery times to the UK are so unreliable, I go through Starling Models, and only order when they have what I an after in stock.

Looking forward to the next update.

Cheers

Si

Thanks Si

Agreed-I was quite shocked to see Northstar pick on Australia exclusively. I've had deliveries from them before that have arrived with no problems, albeit slow.

I've ordered some things from Starling models too, but they seem to be the only people willing to deal with Northstar. Unfortunately they were out of the UP directors that I need.

Even our LHS sites won't deal with them anymore

Quoted Text

Russel,

Wonderful job with that mast assembly. Your King George is looking mighty fine.

Mark

Thanks Mark

She's getting there-I did a bit of a celebratory dance on Friday (thankfully no-one saw it )when I realized I actually had run out of things I needed to do before painting all these items!

Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 - 12:17 PM UTC
Progress is progress no matter the pace. Nice Update Russ! Glad to see you have spent your spare time wisely and not just lurking over in the car section

cheers
Michael
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 - 02:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Progress is progress no matter the pace. Nice Update Russ! Glad to see you have spent your spare time wisely and not just lurking over in the car section

cheers
Michael

yes, true that, Michael
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Model Shipwrights: 249 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 - 08:34 PM UTC
Russell,
This is the first time I've stopped here. You seem to have developed the ship-building bug!

The detail work you've done is excellent! I'm quite impressed with your masts and yardarms.

Looking forward to seeing some paint!

Gaz
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 - 10:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Russell,
This is the first time I've stopped here. You seem to have developed the ship-building bug!

The detail work you've done is excellent! I'm quite impressed with your masts and yardarms.

Looking forward to seeing some paint!

Gaz

Thanks for dropping by Gaz, and welcome aboard :-)

Yep, I've been well and truly infected by ships for as long as I can remember now: from the saturday morning slammers right up to the latest projects after I got back into the hobby...

Although... The The Prinz and the The King have come close to curing me of my madness
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2019 - 11:24 AM UTC
Beautiful work on the Masts Russell. BNA in Melbourne now stock North Star.....Cheers Mark
Choowy
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 125 posts
Model Shipwrights: 125 posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2019 - 08:45 PM UTC
Good to see some more progress Rus, getting close to the end now on an epic build log. Great work as usual. Getting me motivated to follow suit.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2019 - 10:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Beautiful work on the Masts Russell. BNA in Melbourne now stock North Star.....Cheers Mark

Thanks Mark

unfortunately BNA confirmed to me that they will no-longer deal with Northstar for reasons unspecified.

Quoted Text

Good to see some more progress Rus, getting close to the end now on an epic build log. Great work as usual. Getting me motivated to follow suit.

Thanks Ned

It's definitely closing in on the finish line now, I can almost reach out and touch that glacier

Glad to hear that I've been able to be a positive influence
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2019 - 11:42 PM UTC
Update 23rd June, 2019

Another long break between updates it seems, for which I have no excuse other that to say with littluns running around and early starts for work, I've only been getting an hour or so each night to work on her.

Anyways, here she is, as far as I can go until Northstar come to the party and send out the Pom-Pom directors I need to complete her to a stage where I can apply the clear coats and the rigging and fix her to the base.

Here's the pictures...

And the keen eyed among you will notice that's a new base I've had made. The old pine one was riddled with issues, not least of which was the colour.

So I had a new one made, painted it up, applied the felt and chocks and that's all good to go. For anyone interested in the process, I've detailed that on my Prinz Eugen build.

For now the big guns and 5.25's are only dry fit as I plan on painting the clear coats before I permanently afix them.

Now folks, we must wait for Northstar to deliver. Thanks to everyone for following along this build. It seems like another lifetime when I started her all those years ago...
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2019 - 09:25 AM UTC
Russel,

She is a really fine looking ship you built, can't wait to see her rigged out.

Mark
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2019 - 11:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Russel,

She is a really fine looking ship you built, can't wait to see her rigged out.

Mark

Thanks Mark!
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 349 posts
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2019 - 02:01 AM UTC
Looking really good. Awesome to see some more progress!