General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Vosper MTB build
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 04:59 AM UTC
Here's a small update. This is one of the torpedoes with its tube. The fit of the two halves was very good on both the torpedoes and the tubes. The torpedoes are nicely detailed and it seems a shame to hide them in the tubes. I'm thinking of just making the canvas covers used on the tubes to protect them from salt water, and displaying one of the torpedoes on the base, alongside the boat. One of the parts used on the tubes was broken in my kit, so I'm waiting for a replacement so that I can finish them.

I've been making slow, but steady progress and I'll have to take some more photos to post. Being a Yank, I'm partial to the American boats, but I must say (IMHO) the Vosper is just plain "sexier" looking than either the Elco or Higgins' boats. Al
tomdekruijff
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 100 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 10:10 AM UTC
looking good AL,but don't foget to open up the half holes on the TT

good luck

TDK
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 03:36 PM UTC
[ Quoted text] looking good AL,but don't forget to open up the half holes on the TT.

Thanks for the heads-up Tom, I would've missed that little detail. Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 09:34 PM UTC
Nice work Al.

Alan
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 10:10 AM UTC
Al,
If you think the torpedo is too good to hide in a tube have you considered something like this:

http://media.iwm.org.uk/iwm/mediaLib/29/media-29733/large.jpg?action=d

Tom
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 03:43 PM UTC
Hello Tom, That's a great photo, but I think that a crane would involve a little more scratch-building than I want to take on right now. Not to mention the size of the base it would need. Italeri does have that "Long Dock" kit out now, so at least the pier wouldn't have to be scratch-built. It really would make one heck of a diorama though. Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 07:50 PM UTC
Yes, nice pic.

We need some crew in overalls if any of the figure manufacturers are watching.

Al
allycat
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 08:58 PM UTC
Are there not some overall clad Tamiya figure sets. I think 2 figs in their engine maintenance set (35180) and 4 in their ammo loading set (35188) and MiniArt do a Russian tank loading set with (I think) overall-ed figs (35034) I know they require a little 'tweaking' but they're a start

Al B I too think the whole photo might be a little large to depict in 35 scale, however, what about having the torpedo on deck waiting to be slid into the tube with just a couple of figures doing the last minute doo-dahs required before sliding it in.
On this photo

http://media.iwm.org.uk/iwm/mediaLib/42/media-42803/large.jpg?action=d

you can see the brackets that the torpedo rests on. Put the Torpedo on them and leave anything off the boat to peoples imagination (rather like AlanL proposed with his MAS boat divers)
Tom
allycat
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 09:29 PM UTC
It's amazing to see the different models of MTB in that second photo link.
There's different depth charge stowage; ventilator arrangement (size and position); masts and that outer boat on the trot looks like a smaller version.
And, I would hazzard, there are different companion way hatches if you compare the two photos (MTB 70's looks smaller with rounded internal corners - actually the boat alongside).
I'm also curious as to where they put the end of the tube in the second photo? I thought they were hinged like a submarine's (or S-Boat's for that matter) it might be between the gun-tub and companionway.

Tom
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 - 02:36 AM UTC
[Quoted text] what about having the torpedo on deck waiting to be slid into the tube with just a couple of figures doing the last minute doo-dahs required before sliding it in.

I thought about placing the torp' on the loading brackets but didn't care for the way it looked, and I considered having it being fired out of the tube, but rejected that scenario also. When doing a painting, an artist takes the placement of the things within the picture, its composition, into consideration. I'm kind of the same way in my approach to building a model. I can't really explain why, except to say certain things look 'wrong' to me. I've heard that all 'artistes' are a little mad, and sometimes this hobby certainly makes me a little crazy. Al
TheModeller
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 127 posts
Model Shipwrights: 43 posts
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 - 02:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm also curious as to where they put the end of the tube in the second photo? I thought they were hinged like a submarine's (or S-Boat's for that matter) it might be between the gun-tub and companionway.

Tom

The ends of the tubes were completely removed for re-loading, they aren't hinged.

There are quite a few pics of the re-loading in both the Squadron book and Allied Torpedo Boats and I've got a pic I found via Google of a few ratings hauling a torpedo into the tube, the end cap is lying on the deck next to them, I guess they were just put 'out of the way' until the job was done.
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Model Shipwrights: 163 posts
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 - 03:47 AM UTC
Al, I'm following your thread with great interest. Your work looks great so far. I'm a big fan of MTBs and I'm currently building the 1/35 P.T. 596 kit. I'm seriously considering getting the Vosper kit to go with the 596 and from what you've shown us so far this kit is ever bit as good as the 596 kit. I'm also interested in the 1/35 Schnellboot as well. Keep up the great work and I'll be looking forward to your next update.

BTW, what PE set are you using.

Bob
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 - 08:13 AM UTC
Hello Bob, the only PE I've used is what came with the kit. I don't think they missed much. My only complaint is the PE radar antennae and the yardarm they're mounted on. They are too flat, so they need to be replaced. No big deal, I just wonder why they chose to go the PE route for those parts? Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 - 08:19 AM UTC
[Quoted text ] The ends of the tubes were completely removed for re-loading, they aren't hinged.

A word of warning, those kit supplied end caps have two extremely delicate and fragile eye-bolts molded on them. As careful as I tried to be, all four of mine fell victim and are gone already. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 - 03:59 PM UTC
I've made some more progress, but due to technical difficulties I have been unable to post photos of the work done. I hope to have it sorted out as soon as I can. The hull got its first coat of paint. I completed and painted the partial interior as a 'module', to be inserted in the hull later on. It took a lot of trial and error and not much can be seen of it through the small deck hatch, but I think it looks pretty good. I glued the back wall to the rest of the wheelhouse.The fit is good but there are a couple of seams that need to be filled. Any time spent adding extra detail to the inside of the wheelhouse is well worth it. You can see a lot through all those windows. Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 - 11:30 PM UTC
Thanks for the update Al, look forward to the pics.

Alan
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 03:18 AM UTC
Picked up the "Horse Drawn Breda" today. Needless to say I won't be using the 'horse drawn' bits. It looks like a pretty nice kit. The gun and its mount look quite different than the one mounted on the MAS. The instructions are a little vague and need to be looked over carefully. There are two 'versions' that can be built involving two variations of gun sights included. One is a simple 'ring and bead' sight, the other looks to be an 'optical' sight of some kind. I'll need to modify the base of the gun to mount it on the boat. Thanks to a photo provide by Les I have a very good idea of how it needs to be done.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25063579@N08/3260745816/

My IT support is away for the weekend, so I'm not able to post pictures yet. One day I'll get the hang of it. Al
TheModeller
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 127 posts
Model Shipwrights: 43 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 06:56 AM UTC
If you're keen enough Al I'd recommend the ABER detail set for the Breda, if nothing else its got a really fine turned aluminium barrel that looks great once its on, really sharpens the little gun up a lot.

Looking forward to your pics, you said at the beginning that this would be slow progress, I've been working on mine since I got it for Christmas and I'm nowhere near ready for paint yet! If your progress is slow mine must be glacial! Good work.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 - 01:34 PM UTC
Here is an update. I wanted to glue all the deck ventilators in place before painting it, for better adhesion. I figured it would be easier to mask and paint the non-skid area amidships prior to installing the two tall vents.

This is the partial interior I constructed. Not much can be seen through the small foredeck hatch so I didn't go too crazy. I wanted to have something in there to look at, not just an empty hole.

The last picture shows it temporarily in place inside the hull. I originally planned to attach it to the underside of the deck. Not being an engineer, things didn't work out as planned. Eventually, through trial and error (lots of error), things worked out okay. The deck sits right, with the interior in place, and the ladder lines up with the hatch. Al
tomdekruijff
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 100 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 - 07:32 PM UTC
Hi Al,
Your not doing so bad your self.
Nice piece of interior you made there.
TDK (Tom)
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 - 10:05 PM UTC
Hi Al,

Nice work, the partial interior will make all the difference under the open hatch.

Alan
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 01:05 AM UTC
Thanks Tom, and Alan, high praise indeed. I did the same thing with the Elco, under one of the forward hatches. Then ended up putting a crewman climbing out of that hatch, completely hiding what I had done. At least I, if no one else, have the satisfaction of knowing he is not suspended in mid-air, that his feet are actually on a ladder. Al
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Model Shipwrights: 163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 04:05 AM UTC
Very nice work! I'll be watching your thread with interest.

Bob
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 07:38 AM UTC
I did some work on the 20mm Breda cannon installation today. I wanted to glue the 'mounting ring' to the deck and to be sure there would be no nasty surprises when it came time to mount the gun.

The modified base with some extra detail added to it:

The partially assembled gun and its base:

I replaced the lifting handles with brass rod, I didn't like the kit supplied plastic ones, they looked too fragile.

The deck with the mounting ring:

In the previous picture you can also see how little of the interior is visible through the open hatch.
This is the gun temporarily in place to check clearances, I was afraid the vents in front of the wheelhouse might interfere with the gun:

Still a lot of work to be done, but I'm enjoying this build. Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 10:13 AM UTC
Looking good Al.

Alan