General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Vosper MTB build
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 10:18 PM UTC
Hi Al,

Looking good. Yes, the seems need a bit of attention on the front window covers, the mug is a neat touch and the build is coming along a treat.

Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 01:39 PM UTC
Hello Tom & Alan, I was wondering if anyone would notice the 'cuppa'. I couldn't decide if that was 'flash' on those curtains, or an edge that was supposed to be there. Easy enough to fix. Al
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 06:03 PM UTC
Cup of tea? Surely it's a cup of cocoa laced with the daily rum ration?

Julian
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 - 05:25 AM UTC
[Quoted text] Cup of tea? Surely it's a cup of cocoa laced with the daily rum ration?

I don't think any sailor worth his salt would leave a cup of anything that had rum in it just sitting around unguarded. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 - 07:32 AM UTC
On page 17 of the info booklet, there is a photo of the bridge of MTB 73. On the left side of the bridge there is a small container with a hose that feeds into the bulkhead. I don't know what it was for, but I decided to add it to the model.

I also took care of the seams on the window curtains.

Does any one know whether these curtains were used to 'black-out' the bridge at night, or to prevent reflections from the sun, or both?
Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 - 09:38 AM UTC
As Tom pointed out in his excellent build, the upper lightening holes on the torpedo tube mounts are molded as half-holes and need to be opened up.

A job easily accomplished with a sharp Xacto blade and a coarse rat-tail file. There were also a few of the smaller holes that were flashed over and needed to be opened. Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 - 09:49 AM UTC
Hi Al,

I imagine both uses were possible. Coming along well.

Alan
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 - 02:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Al,

I imagine both uses were possible. Coming along well.

Alan

That would make sense. I saw a video of a vehicle crossing the desert and I couldn't believe the reflection off of the windshield. They might as well have sent up flares! Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 03:17 PM UTC
Some ammo lockers for the 20mm Breda that will go on the foredeck.

Looking at the included info booklet yesterday, I noticed that the photos on pages 7 & 15 are cropped from the same original. The boat to the left on page 7 can barely be seen but it is the same boat featured on page 15. Note that MTB 32 is moored in the second row behind, and that the background is the same, in both of the photos. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 07:38 AM UTC
The 20mm ammo lockers painted and installed.

I just got a call from MRC, Italeri's US distributor, that the replacement part I needed should be in my hands by the end of the week. Then I can finally finish the Torpedo Tubes and mount them. I can't say enough about their service. They've been very courteous, professional, and helpful every time that I've had to call upon them. Thanks MRC. Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 05:23 PM UTC
Hi Al,

Looking good.

Alan
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 09:47 AM UTC
FYI: To anyone building this kit, there is an error in Step# 11 of the instructions. It identifies two parts as 73D, when they should be 79D. The parts in question are eyebolts for attaching the stays from the IFF antenna (parts 26E & 29E) mounted in Step #8. Parts 73D are actually the life preservers! I plan on relocating the IFF to the bridge in front of the mast, so I filled in the corresponding holes in the foredeck. I'm going to use the now unneeded parts 79D in place of some teeny-weeny PE parts #12 that are called for in Step#14. They are supposed to be used for securing the mainmast stays to the deck. Since there are two "D" sprues, if you do plan on installing the IFF in its original position on the foredeck, there will still be two extra parts 79D to use as I am. I don't understand how Italeri's designers figured you could successfully attach and tighten lines to PE parts sure to pop off when you try? Al
tomdekruijff
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 100 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 12:37 AM UTC
Hi Al,,
She looks better by the day.But in your first message you said that this would be a slow build. But at this pace you'll be finnished before me,and i thought that i wasn't that slow.
Makes me wonder when you build something on average speed ,finnished in a week or two?
Did you find a seller for the calibre 35 in your neck of the woods.

TDK
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 02:12 AM UTC
Thanks Tom, it is moving along faster than I anticipated, still a long way to go. I really was concerned that my lack of computer skills would interfere with my ability to post pictures. My son helped me out. He got out the crayons, used small words, and explained the process to me. To my surprise, I actually understood him! You can teach an old dog new tricks. I haven't looked for a distributor for Calibre 35 yet, but it is on my to-do list. Which set(s) did you use? Al
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 07:40 PM UTC
Hi Al

Coming on really well, following with much interest.

I have the kit sat in the pile, hopefully for a summer project.

Si
tomdekruijff
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 100 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 09:27 PM UTC
Sure Al,
Calibre 35 they aren't cheap but have a lot
http://www.calibre35.cz/35047.htm
Looks like you only need 1 of these sets to do the job.
TDK
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2012 - 01:01 AM UTC
Thanks for the info Tom, I'll have to look into it, they add a lot to the torpedo tubes. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2012 - 01:07 AM UTC
FYI: A warning, if you mount the 'Carley float' where you are supposed to it interferes with the placement of the anchor. Ask me how I know.

Since I had already glued the 'float' in place, I'll have to reposition the anchor a little. No big deal, just a tad frustrating though. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2012 - 07:57 AM UTC
Did some work on repositioning the anchor.
The original locating holes plugged and the new holes drilled.

I used some tapered pieces of stretched sprue to plug the holes. A little glue in the hole and push the plug in as far as it will go. It fills the hole tightly and you don't need putty.

The plugs cut and sanded flush, just need to touch up the paint.

You might notice in the previous photo one of the crosspieces is missing from the mooring bit, as usual while trying to fix something I broke something else. At least it's an easy fix

The anchor temporarily in its new location.

I drilled some holes in the shank of the 'plowshare' and the end of the anchor and inserted a piece of brass wire, so it can swivel. I wanted to make sure that
I could adjust the angle of the 'plowshare' so it would sit flat on the deck. AL
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2012 - 08:16 AM UTC
As promised my replacement part arrived today from MRC. It was 1/2 of one of the powder chambers for the torpedo tubes. The instructions aren't too clear on mounting these to the tubes after you assemble them. There is a PE support, and it looks as if you should glue it to the raised strip at the rear of the tube, DON'T! It should be glued alongside the rear edge of that strip.

You also have to open up the oval depression in the tube that the stem of the chamber goes into.

The raised rib that goes around the stem shouldn't sit flush against the tube, there should be some space between it and the tube when mounted. I looked at photos of the real chamber and that is how it is. It takes a little eyeballing to make sure everything is aligned correctly. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 11:00 AM UTC
A small update, the anchor painted and installed.

I don't know how good an anchor it would be, but they could always use it to plow 'the south 40'.

The IFF antenna modified with some brass wire and bits and pieces to look more prototypical.

I am waiting for some nuts & bolts from Calibre35. I'm planning on using them on the torpedo tubes. Calibre35 lists their American distributor as Stevens International, but when I contacted them they said they no longer carried that line, so I ordered them from Hannants. Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 02:56 AM UTC
Hi Al,

Nice work, this is looking excellent.

Alan
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 03:32 AM UTC
Thanks Alan, for the kind words. I saw the WW1 dio that you're working on, and it looks great. With the exception of aircraft, not much attention is paid to the 'Great War'. It's a shame really. Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 08:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Alan, for the kind words. I saw the WW1 dio that you're working on, and it looks great. With the exception of aircraft, not much attention is paid to the 'Great War'. It's a shame really. Al

Hi Alan,

Thanks. Both you're build blog and Tom's build are excellent articles and provide lots of useful infomration that will help toward the Vosper builds when I get to them. You've both set the standard high to follow and I'm looking forward to the finishing developments.

This does look like an excellent kit and I'm really enjoying the blog.

Cheers

Alan
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 - 08:14 PM UTC
Coming along very nicely Al, great "scratching" too
cheers,
Julian