General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Vosper MTB build
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 - 07:00 AM UTC
[Quoted text] Will you be adding the aiming sight for the torpedos, or did I miss that?

Thanks Alan, Still a few things to do before commissioning her into the Royal Navy. I will be adding the sight eventually, as well as the two twin Vickers MG's and their mounts. I ordered three of the figures from ADV to help man her, and plan on ordering three more from 'Wee Friends'. I'm surprised that Italeri still hasn't come out with a crew set. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 - 07:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For all the complaining you still did a magic job there Al
Very nice work on the rigging
Julian

A wise man once told me, "Complaining is like a rocking chair, it won't get you anywhere, but it feels good." Al
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Model Shipwrights: 204 posts
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 - 10:36 AM UTC
Hey Al, as usual for you, excellent job. Seems the trip to the store fixed the cable problem. I really like the coffee mug in the deck house, gives it that being used look but, you forgot the news paper he was reading while on break. Can't wait to take a road trip home and see them all up close. Good thing the river runs north to south or one might pull out on a mission and end up out here, lol. Once again, great job, you get a scooby snack for sure. bob
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 - 12:02 PM UTC
Hey Bob, glad you could drop by, Thanks, and I'll hold you to that Scooby snack. Al
tomdekruijff
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 100 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 - 07:25 PM UTC
Hi Al,

Been quietly following your progress.
It realy looks great now she 99% finnished.
Was the rigging "fun" to do ?
Just noticed 1 small thing ,the open front hatch is standing upright by its self.That is not likely to stay there in the real world.Maybe you could let it rest against the depressionrail.But that's just me seeking something to nag about, great job.

Tom (TDK)
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 02:23 AM UTC
[Quoted text] Just noticed 1 small thing ,the open front hatch is standing upright by its self.That is not likely to stay there in the real world.Maybe you could let it rest against the depressionrail.But that's just me seeking something to nag about, great job.

Tom (TDK)

Thanks Tom, and yes, the rigging was "fun". As for the hatch, in the photos I have seen, it is standing straight up, just like I have it. But it isn't clear what is keeping it in that position. In one photo there appears to be a cord tied to the handle that goes straight down towards the deck, but you can't see what it is attached to. There is nothing on the model's deck that a cord could have been tied to. There might be something on the inside face of the hatch that holds it upright. But, I haven't seen any photographic evidence of it. I just might have to tie it to the depression rail and leave it at that. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 04:51 AM UTC
The twin Vickers .303 MG's for the TT saddle mounts.

The guns were 'requisitioned' from another Italeri kit, the 'Commando Car' Jeep (kit #320). I cobbled the mounts together from some Evergreen styrene rod and strip, as well as a few pieces of brass rod. The ring sights are two parts # 51D from the Vosper that were included but not needed. Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 05:25 AM UTC
Nice work Al.

Alan
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 06:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work Al.

Alan

Hello Alan, They went together much easier than I thought they would. I considered making the guns movable, but decided it would be more trouble than it was worth. It's not like I'm going to play with them. Aw, who am I kidding, I've already made several mock torpedo attacks, and 'shot up' my MAS. Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 04:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Nice work Al.

Alan

Hello Alan, They went together much easier than I thought they would. I considered making the guns movable, but decided it would be more trouble than it was worth. It's not like I'm going to play with them. Aw, who am I kidding, I've already made several mock torpedo attacks, and 'shot up' my MAS. Al

Way to go

Alan
tomdekruijff
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 100 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 10:06 PM UTC
that will keep you busy for a while longer ,repairing battle damage.

Tom
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

that will keep you busy for a while longer ,repairing battle damage.

Tom

Hello Tom, I've been repairing 'battle damage' throughout this build. It seems I can't glue something on without knocking something else loose. Two steps forward, one step back seems to be the norm. I had the same problem with the Elco, and the MAS builds. It's hard to maneuver a large model while building it without banging it up I guess, and there are a lot of delicate parts on them. Al
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 11:23 PM UTC
Now we know where the Italian gun and ammo came from, salvage rights. Take any prisoners? O.K. when I come back out to visit I owe you dinner at your choice of fine eating establishments.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 03:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now we know where the Italian gun and ammo came from, salvage rights. Take any prisoners? O.K. when I come back out to visit I owe you dinner at your choice of fine eating establishments.

Prisoners? We don't need no stinking prisoners! Your idea of a fine eating establishment, uh, Dunkin' Donuts? Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 04:15 AM UTC
The Vickers' guns painted and mounted.

While not as heavily armed as the Elco, the Vosper surely out-guns the MAS. I know which one I'd rather be serving on during a firefight. Al
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2012 - 06:42 AM UTC
Very nice work, Al.

Garth
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2012 - 08:30 AM UTC
Hello Garth, Glad you like her, she's almost ready for 'commissioning'. Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2012 - 07:16 PM UTC
Hi Al,

Armed and dangerous!

Alan
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2012 - 04:23 AM UTC
[Quoted text] Will you be adding the aiming sight for the torpedos, or did I miss that?

Thirteen teensy weensy pieces later:

Painted and installed

I swear the next model I build will be strictly OOB, no bells and whistles, I might not even paint it! Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 - 11:33 PM UTC
Excellent work Al,

Both you and Tom have set the standard super high and will be a hard act to follow.

I'm no where near starting as my table is taken up with a large battle field at the moment.

The build is looking terrific and crewed up will be the business.

Cheers

Al
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 03:23 AM UTC
Hey Al, O.O.B. Yeah, who are you kidding, known you too long for that one l.o.l.. Your aiming sight looks real nice and adds to the very empty area there. You have really impressed me with these boat builds, I might even have to get the 109 now after seeing all the great work here.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 03:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent work Al,

Both you and Tom have set the standard super high and will be a hard act to follow.

I'm no where near starting as my table is taken up with a large battle field at the moment.

The build is looking terrific and crewed up will be the business.

Cheers

Al

Hello Alan, Thanks, my workbench always looks like a battlefield. Having seen what you did with the MAS, I'm sure the Vosper will look just as good when you get around to it. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 03:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Al, O.O.B. Yeah, who are you kidding, known you too long for that one l.o.l.. Your aiming sight looks real nice and adds to the very empty area there. You have really impressed me with these boat builds, I might even have to get the 109 now after seeing all the great work here.

Hey Bob, Don't tell me that once again I've drawn you to "The Dark Side" (key sound of heavy breathing and appropriate "Star Wars" music). Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 08:39 AM UTC
U-boats beware! We have Depth Charges.

And we can make smoke.

Does anyone know if the smoke was discharged from the tip of the 'cone', or from under its rim? The only part left in the box is the PE auxiliary rudder (?). I bought a wood plaque to use for a base, and I want to finish that before adding the 'fin', and mounting the boat. I'm also going to place one of the torpedoes on the base, next to the boat. Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 10:01 PM UTC
Hi Al,

Not sure about the smoke. Nice work on the depth charges, and rigging.

I was stocking up on some pigments the other day and noticed MIG have a Cold Grey Wash available. It might be useful to you? I find their waashes help blend things together well!

Look forward to the final presentation with crew and torpedos, outstanding build Al, it's been a real pleasure following it along.

Cheers

Alan