General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Vosper MTB build
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 09:39 AM UTC
Hello Alan, thanks for the heads up on that wash from Mig, I'll have to check it out. Now that I have the Vosper to join the Elco, and the MAS, I keep hearing this evil little voice whispering into my ear, "Schnellboote, Schnelllllboote". Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 05:19 PM UTC
Hi Al,

Go for it. I'll wait on the XCraft and another couple of LCs.

Cheers

Al

dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Model Shipwrights: 204 posts
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 - 12:59 AM UTC
Schnellboote huh? Now who's being drawn to the dark side. Seems to me we had that talk a few months ago, lol.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 - 02:43 AM UTC
[Quoted text] Go for it. I'll wait on the XCraft and another couple of LCs.

Hello Alan, I'm waiting for the X-craft myself. It will be a little more manageable size-wise, as well as more economically feasible (I hope) than an S-boote. And there is that PT-109 due to be available, which will also to tempt my wallet. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 - 02:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Schnellboote huh? Now who's being drawn to the dark side. Seems to me we had that talk a few months ago, lol.

Hey Bob, since you're now thinking about acquiring that PT-109, maybe you should consider getting the Schnellboote also. Think of the diorama possibilities in that! Al
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 08:20 AM UTC
Hey Al, kind of hard to put them together in the P.T.O.. If I am going big, it will be that B-25 with a section of carrier deck with deck crew. Or the C-47 and horsa. Or a s.b. LSI.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2012 - 05:47 AM UTC
Looks like she is ready for commissioning Al, beautiful build well built
Now don'' t get carried away and smash a bottle of bubbly on the bow
Julian
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2012 - 06:21 AM UTC
[Quoted text] Now don'' t get carried away and smash a bottle of bubbly on the bow
Julian

I have a 1/35th scale wine bottle that I saved just for such a special occasion. Al
Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2012 - 07:06 AM UTC
The label hand painted I guess?
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2012 - 04:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The label hand painted I guess?

But of course, Mon Ami. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 08:24 AM UTC
Commissioning Day! Just in time for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. I had a 1/35th scale bottle of wine to break over the bow, but one of my 1/35th scale figures must have 'liberated' it! (probably a German)

In one photo, an unidentified boat has a small storage locker between the aft-most ventilators. I added a slightly larger one to mine.

I also couldn't resist adding a 'kill' marking as shown on the spray shield of another boat.

Just waiting for the crew to arrive, and she'll be ready, "To serve God, Queen, and Country." Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 02:46 AM UTC
I've been trying to learn a little of the history of MTB-77, and it's contradictory to say the least. She isn't listed in "RN Coastal Forces 1940-1945" under any flotilla, although she is listed under the individual boats. It says her captain was T/Lt. E.H.G. Larsen, and her First was T/S.Lt. F.A.Gilpin. It also says she was sunk enroute from Vigo to Valencia, both of which are on the coast of Spain. Another source says she was sunk off Vigo Valentia, which is on the SW coast of Italy. There is a photo of MTB-77 along with MTBs -260, & -313 moored together in Malta. Those two boats are listed as belonging to the 10th/15th flotilla (the 10th was merged with the 15th), so I would assume the -77 belonged to the same flotilla. It would make sense to me that a Malta based boat was sunk off the SW coast of Italy, rather than off the coast of Spain. If anyone has any further info to share, I would appreciate it. Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 02:52 AM UTC
Hi Al,

Looking very sharp indeed, excellent work. This has been a real gem of a build, looking forward to the crew coming on board.

Can't add anything to the history though.

I like the additions.

Cheers

Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 03:05 AM UTC
Thanks Alan, could you tell me what what those ranks were? I assumed that since the captain was a Reserve officer that T/Lt. was Temporary/Lieutenant, is that correct ? And what about T/S.Lt.? As a side note, I was kind of happy to find out that the Captain was a 'Kiwi', it was good to see the Commonwealth represented. Al
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 04:00 AM UTC
Excellent Al. The dark side has called and I have answered, and debated with the other half. Have permission to dock the 109 when released. Now I can state that all my problems at the desk are because of you, may the force be with you or me.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 04:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent Al. The dark side has called and I have answered, and debated with the other half. Have permission to dock the 109 when released. Now I can state that all my problems at the desk are because of you, may the force be with you or me.

Bob, have you ever noticed, there are six letters in my 1st name, six letters in my middle name, and six letters in my last name, 666. Mean anything to you? Al
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 05:34 AM UTC
I knew there was a method to your madness, now I know why, . But for all the insanity you have wrought upon my modeling life, can't go anywhere without looking at everything that might be used for 1/35th dio's. Heck, even a walk to the store and I come back with sticks, weeds and rocks, it's great to have a friend such as you. Now where is the Russian P/T gonna dock? Mary told me she wasn't buying a bigger place for no stinking models, lol.
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 05:41 AM UTC
Al you really kill me, that Swastika kill mark is such a fantastic touch, bless you
I decided to skip the Oerlikon and have bought 6 resin Lewis guns with nasty big cooling jackets around the barrels
I will have to make a really nasty Vosper to match yours
Great build Al,
cheers,
Julian
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 09:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Al you really kill me, that Swastika kill mark is such a fantastic touch, bless you
I decided to skip the Oerlikon and have bought 6 resin Lewis guns with nasty big cooling jackets around the barrels
I will have to make a really nasty Vosper to match yours
Great build Al,
cheers,
Julian

Hello Julian, After seeing that MTB sporting one, I couldn't resist putting at least one 'kill' on the scoreboard. Having seen the fine work that you do, I can't wait to see your take on the Vosper. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 09:26 AM UTC
[quoted text] all the insanity you have wrought upon my modeling life

Bob, You've got to quit trying to lay this guilt on me. I might have planted the seed, but you watered it, nurtured it, and most importantly, FERTILIZED it! Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 09:43 AM UTC
Hi Al,

My knowledge on RN Ranks is limited but I believe the T stands for Warrant Officers and Officers Promoted Therefrom, in other words he was promoted from the ranks!?

See here which should help.

http://www.naval-history.net/WW2aaRN-PayTables00Ranks-Badges.htm

Cheers

Alan
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 10:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Al,

My knowledge on RN Ranks is limited but I believe the T stands for Warrant Officers and Officers Promoted Therefrom, in other words he was promoted from the ranks!?

See here which should help.

http://www.naval-history.net/WW2aaRN-PayTables00Ranks-Badges.htm

Cheers

Alan

Thanks for the link Alan. At least I now know S.Lt. is Sub-Lieutenant. Still not sure what the 'T' stands for though. Al
TheModeller
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 127 posts
Model Shipwrights: 43 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 12:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been trying to learn a little of the history of MTB-77, and it's contradictory to say the least. She isn't listed in "RN Coastal Forces 1940-1945" under any flotilla, although she is listed under the individual boats. It says her captain was T/Lt. E.H.G. Larsen, and her First was T/S.Lt. F.A.Gilpin. It also says she was sunk enroute from Vigo to Valencia, both of which are on the coast of Spain. Another source says she was sunk off Vigo Valentia, which is on the SW coast of Italy. There is a photo of MTB-77 along with MTBs -260, & -313 moored together in Malta. Those two boats are listed as belonging to the 10th/15th flotilla (the 10th was merged with the 15th), so I would assume the -77 belonged to the same flotilla. It would make sense to me that a Malta based boat was sunk off the SW coast of Italy, rather than off the coast of Spain. If anyone has any further info to share, I would appreciate it. Al

According to Popes "Flag 4" and Reynolds & Coopers "Mediterranean MTBs at War" 77 was sent to join the 8th Flotilla operating from Malta, arriving in late January '42, she was commanded by Lt J.B. Sturgeon until she was sunk of Vigo Valentia on September 8th '43.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 03:23 PM UTC
[Quoted text] According to Popes "Flag 4" and Reynolds & Coopers "Mediterranean MTBs at War" 77 was sent to join the 8th Flotilla operating from Malta, arriving in late January '42, she was commanded by Lt J.B. Sturgeon until she was sunk of Vigo Valentia on September 8th '43.

Hello Les, Thanks for that information. MTB-77 definitely was stationed in Malta, and sunk off the coast of Italy by German aircraft. Would you know if the 8th flotilla was based at Valletta? Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 03:45 PM UTC

I found some more information on MTB-77 at the following link:

www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/UN/UK/LondonGazette/38432.pdf

It is a copy of a dispatch printed in the London Gazette concerning MTB ops in the Med, which included MTB-77. It is dated February,1943 and confirms Lt.Sturgeon as her C/O, but states she was assigned to the 7th flotilla. It does seem she saw very active service and a lot of action.
Al