General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Vosper MTB build
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 - 04:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Al (Taffy 3)
Love the paint job on the latest crewmen, but they seem to be very swan necked (too much skin showing between ears and sweater tops), could you trim them down a little?
Tom

Thanks for the feedback Tom, but the heads are pinned in place and I wouldn't want to risk damaging them, or the figures, by trying to remove them. I did have a look at the actual figures and I think the angle of the photo exaggerates the length of their necks a little. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 - 05:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Al (Taffy 3)
Love the paint job on the latest crewmen, but they seem to be very swan necked (too much skin showing between ears and sweater tops), could you trim them down a little?
Tom

Hello Tom, thanks for the feedback. The heads are pinned in place and I wouldn't want to risk damaging them by trying to remove them. I did have a look at the actual figures and they seemed OK to me. I think that the angle of the photo exaggerated the length of their necks a little. Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 12:48 AM UTC
Hi Al,

Did you ever get sorted out with the missing arms? I finally found the two I have spare, check PM for details.

Cheers

Alan
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2012 - 07:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Al,

Did you ever get sorted out with the missing arms? I finally found the two I have spare, check PM for details.

Cheers

Alan

Hello Alan, No I didn't. Azimut failed to make good on their promise to replace those missing parts. Apparently, having talked to some other modelers, I'm not the first one to receive less than stellar customer service from them. The mere mention of their name elicited either moans and/or head shakes of disgust. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 06:10 AM UTC
Finally! Someone's steering the boat, the crew was getting awfully tired of going round in circles.

The original figure that I was going to use to man the helm was delivered with the wrong arms and no head(s). Despite numerous e-mails to Azimut, the manufacturer, I have not gotten any satisfaction from them. So, I ordered another one of the "Wee Friends" figures from Ian of Friendship Models. Azimut could take a lesson from him when it comes to customer service.

I had to reposition his left leg a little, to fit the width of the platform that he's standing on. I think that I have found a U.S. distributor for the U-models line of figures. They have two RN officers for the Vosper that I want, to command my boat. Once they are aboard I'll post some final pictures. Al
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 06:54 AM UTC
The crewmen are fantastic Al. Great paintwork
Julian
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 07:05 AM UTC
Thanks Julian, I think figures bring a subject to life and give it a sense of scale. Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 08:15 AM UTC
Hi Al,

Pictures aren't displaying for some reason.

Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 11:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Al,

Pictures aren't displaying for some reason.

Al

Hello Alan, They should be back now. Photobucket changed their Modus Operandi, and I'm still adjusting to it. I had to call my I.T. Guy (I.E. My son). Everytime I get the hang of something they go and change it. I think it's a conspiracy! Al
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Model Shipwrights: 204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 12:55 PM UTC
Hey Al, thanks for the call. Now I see the figures, looks real good. Really coming to life now.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 04:12 PM UTC
Thanks Bob, I'm liking the way she looks too. Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 04:49 AM UTC
Hi Al,

Things are looking good on board, excellent work.

I had an email of Rodolphe a few weeks ago so he should be around.

Cheers

Al

Alan
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 04:02 AM UTC
Happy Days! Christmas is coming again! I've finally located a distributor for U-models who has the RN figures that I've been looking for. The Red Lancers, right here in the US, just got them in and I should have them in a few days. The only other distributor to list them was Azimut of France. Due to a distinct lack of customer satisfaction regarding a problem with a previous order from them, I am less than anxious to ever do business with them again. Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 10:53 PM UTC
Hi Al,

Glad to hear you got sorted. Got mine from U Models about a week ago. Haven't looked at them in any detail but first glance indicates good quality figures.

I also got the Pilot but will probably give him Wellies, not being a fan if the ribbed trousers.

Look forward to the final stages of a terrific build.

Cheers and Seasons Greetings.

Alan
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2012 - 12:11 PM UTC
Hello Alan, I'm looking forward to finally getting my hands on them. They looked pretty good when they were announced way back in July. I'm not sure if I'll use the 'Pilot' on this build. I like the idea of changing his trousers though. I hope Santa treated you well and that you have a Happy New Year. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 01:29 PM UTC
I looked over the figures from U-models and am suitably impressed. The detail is very nice and crisp. Clean-up was simple, nothing but a few seams and a couple of pinholes. Nothing Mr.Surfacer couldn't handle. I'm really liking this stuff for filling minor imperfections and seams.

First up is RN Officer No.1:

A close-up of his head:

Note the detail of his cap badge.

Next, RN Officer No.2:

And his head:

Lastly, the Vosper Pilot:

His head:

My only quibble with the 'Pilot' are the binoculars. I don't think the helmsman would need to be wearing them. He could serve admirably as a Look-out as is, or it would be pretty simple to remove them. Unlike the two officers who are wearing duffle coats, he is wearing an oilskin coat. All in all, I would highly recommend these figures to anyone building the Vosper. Of course, they could be used for any Royal Navy subject. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 - 07:52 AM UTC
I got some work done on the two officers today. The arms have a pin that fits into a socket in the body. Some of the holes need to be deepened for a better fit. I removed one pin altogether for better alignment

Officer No.1 has his arms glued but I kept the head separate for ease of painting. I also added a couple of short pieces of small tubing to the ends of the binoculars, to improve its appearance. Officer No.2 Has his right arm and head temporarily in place. I didn't glue them to make painting easier, but you can see how well the arm fits.

Officer No.1 stands on the right side of the bridge, on a platform. Because I relocated the IFF antenna to the bridge spray shield I had to adjust his position and shave off some of the underside of his right sleeve. Then I spent several hours repairing the damage that I did while getting him to stand in position properly. Officer No.2 stands on a platform at the left side of the bridge and fit perfectly. I hope to get some painting done and will post again when I do. Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 08:22 AM UTC
Hi Al,

Look forward to the final stages, figures look good.

Alan
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Model Shipwrights: 204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 09:50 AM UTC
Hey Al, figures look good, nice choice and seems like they'll fit perfect. Weird looking pants on the pilot though, looks like they are cuff folded all the way up, is that the way they are supposed to look. Never seen anything like that but you know the first time thing. Maybe when painted up it will look different. Waiting to see them painted up and at station, totally brings the boat alive. To me a model without a figure is like a shell with no nut.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 10:55 AM UTC
Hi Bob,

They are ORs No 1 Dress Trousers, they had 5 ribs across the leg, had to replicate I would think.

cheers

Al
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 12:35 PM UTC
Hi Alan.
I got one of these from LuckyModel for just $63 and will be using your build to guide me as to what PE etc to purchase. This could be my first boat model with figures.. But I am not sure I can do them justice with the paint side of things. I wonder if I can get them pre-painted..
Cheers
Warren
madeinengland
Visit this Community
Roskilde, Denmark
KitMaker: 47 posts
Model Shipwrights: 25 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Bob,

They are ORs No 1 Dress Trousers, they had 5 ribs across the leg, had to replicate I would think.

cheers

Al

One for each of the worlds Oceans. Normal seaman's uniform in those days. Had a flap front as well to ease a hasty escape. Wet woollen trousers are rather heavy when wet. Open the flap and they would fall away.

Ian M
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 05:07 AM UTC
Well, My 'Number One' has reported aboard after circuitous trip to his boat.

From his open-mouthed expression I picture him saying,"Look at the legs on that WREN!"

I had redone the electrical panel on the inside of the bridge. I had also relocated the IFF antenna to the spray shield. I was afraid these modifications would interfere with his positioning. I was able to modify the panel so that he would fit properly. The re-location of the IFF turned out to not be a problem. I normally 'peg' a figure into position for greater strength. I didn't do it with him because of the restricted area and a fear of causing damage (again). I don't think it'll be a problem. Besides gluing his feet to the platform, his hand is glued to the spray shield. I should have the 'Captain' done soon. More later. Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 07:10 AM UTC
Hi Alan,

What 'blue' are you using? He fits in well. A littler PVA will hold him in place and won't damage the boat.

Nice work.

Alan
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Model Shipwrights: 645 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 07:21 AM UTC
Hi Al and AL the new figures are looking real sharp the pilot figure would not have those kind of trousers as said the pleated Bell bottoms would only be worn on parade or dress occasions they could have either 5 or 7 pleats seven seas or 5 oceans and from a long time ago now i remember having to iron those things once a week for our friday dress No1 nights at Sea cadets. I did used to cheat a bit as I would keep them folded neatly under my matteress to keep the weight on them to keep them sharp it used to impress the young Wrens when you told them you could iron your own gear ( AHH those long and distant memorys )