General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Vosper MTB build
tomdekruijff
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 100 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 07:15 PM UTC
Hi Al,

That is a nice link,it also has a report featuring the 204 i did.
Are we going to see some photo's of the whole boat?
I for one would love to see it .

She is looking great.
TDK
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 10:24 PM UTC
Hi folks,

Some new crew from U Models

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/193527&page=1#1620419

Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 11:31 PM UTC
Thanks Tom, I'll take some photos of the boat, there are still one or two things, and some touching up to do. I'm glad that link helped you out. It is simply amazing the stuff that you can find on the 'Net. Les had provided the name of Lt. Sturgeon, I 'Googled' it and came up with that link. An item of reference I never would have had access to in the past. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 11:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi folks,

Some new crew from U Models

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/193527&page=1#1620419

Al

Thanks Alan, those are some really great looking figures, I particularly like the two officers. Al
TheModeller
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 127 posts
Model Shipwrights: 43 posts
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 - 01:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Les, Thanks for that information. MTB-77 definitely was stationed in Malta, and sunk off the coast of Italy by German aircraft. Would you know if the 8th flotilla was based at Valletta? Al

At some point MTB 77 was transferred to 7th flotilla but the Malta boats all operated from the area of Valetta Harbour, when the first boats arrived they were based at the submarine docks on Manoel Island before eventually moving to HMS Gregale in Pieta Creek when it was commissioned as the Coastal Forces Base on the island.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 - 02:12 AM UTC
[Quoted text] At some point MTB 77 was transferred to 7th flotilla but the Malta boats all operated from the area of Valetta Harbour, when the first boats arrived they were based at the submarine docks on Manoel Island before eventually moving to HMS Gregale in Pieta Creek when it was commissioned as the Coastal Forces Base on the island.

Hello Les, Thanks for answering my question. I love the give and take of information on this site and others like it. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 - 04:56 AM UTC
Here are a few pics, as requested.

All comments are welcome, as long as they're not downright vicious. Al

(P.S.) I've got no clue why that one picture is sideways, I think the gremlins are messing with me again.
TheModeller
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 - 05:14 AM UTC
Look good to me Al, nice to see the whole project together and complete, the base sets it off well too. I plan a similar base for mine once its done though I'm going for a less weathered final look, just personal taste, I want more of a 'museum' look to it when I'm done.

Mine is still a long way off, I'm often away from home on work and she's not exactly a convenient size to carry around on and off airplanes and in and out of hotels!

Given me plenty of inspiration to get stuck in as soon as I'm home though, so far I'm still working on the torpedo tubes!

Well done sir, thats a keeper, glad I could help with some of your questions.
tomdekruijff
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 - 05:49 AM UTC
YES,
I thought as much ,from the closeups,but she really is a beauty.
This one you should be proud of.

Tom
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 - 05:51 AM UTC
Hello Les, Thanks for your comments and all your help. Definitely not a convenient size to build while on the road. I could just see the looks you would get from security trying to bring it aboard an airplane. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 - 05:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

YES,
I thought as much ,from the closeups,but she really is a beauty.
This one you should be proud of.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I owe a lot to you for the way she turned out. Following along in your footsteps when adding all those extra details. Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 - 10:12 AM UTC
Hi Al,

A real gem, turned out a treat. Nice idea for the setting. Thanks for all the info in the blog it will be most useful later on.

Enjoyed the build a lot. As already stated one to be rightly proud of.

Cheers and look forward to the crew.

Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 - 10:40 AM UTC
Hello Alan, I'm glad you enjoyed the build,and that you found it helpful. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with yours. Al
dcrfan
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 18 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 - 08:48 PM UTC
Hi,

My name is Paul and I've been watching this thread for some time as I ordered a Vosper which turned up yesterday - yepeee

The reason I'm posting this email is that on the weekend I found an old book called British Women Go To War which was clearly published during WWII. I purchased it as it contains some great colour photographs which are not common from war time Britain. I have scanned two which relate to this threat.

TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 02:31 AM UTC
Thanks for sharing those photos Paul. I'm especially curious about the odd shaped rail visible on the 'dust bin' turret in the middle photo. It appears in several other pics I've seen. Does anyone know what it was for? Depression rail perhaps? Al
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Model Shipwrights: 204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 05:37 AM UTC
Neat photo's, never seen them before.....
Hey Al, I think so. Look at the left side, looks like it is slightly bent down and in like the guns hit it in traverse, also see paint chiped off of it. Looking at the model, it seems that you would just fire over the stern staff (what ever the navy calls it) that holds the rigging there. But then you know me, I could be way off and find it was a hanger to dry the guys socks, lol.
tomdekruijff
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 05:48 AM UTC

Hi Al Bob,
In the photo you can see a bent bar between the guns this looks to be connected to them.With the rail on the photo from Paul it could be that it's a depressionrail combo to make sure they don't shootup the bridge in the heat of the fight.

Tom
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 06:51 AM UTC

[Quoted text] In the photo you can see a bent bar between the guns this looks to be connected to them.With the rail on the photo from Paul it could be that it's a depressionrail combo to make sure they don't shootup the bridge in the heat of the fight.

You are right Tom, thanks for supplying the missing piece of the puzzle. Seeing that bar on the front of the gun mount, it all makes sense. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 11:27 AM UTC
The 1st three crew members have reported for duty.

Figures are from Friendship Models (thanks, Ian). More pics when painted. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 05:42 AM UTC
Got some work done on the figures (SWMBO is tickled pink that I have some 'Wee Friends' to play with). They are very nicely molded. No flash, seams, or defects to speak of, and the pour plugs were easy to remove. The 1st is the "Seaman in Battle Dress".

The 2nd is the "LCM Commander", he's wearing a duffle coat and mittens, and comes with alternate heads. One with a cap, and the other wearing a balaclava under his helmet.

The third is the "Seaman with Aldis lamp", my favorite of the trio. He also comes with a choice of heads.

He was the trickiest of the lot. The lamp needs careful cleanup, and I wasn't sure how it was supposed to be attached to his right hand which is holding the 'pistol' grip. I found a photo on line that cleared it up.

I carefully drilled a hole in the 'pistol' grip, and one in the lamp, so I could insert a small piece of brass wire to strengthen the joint. I haven't attached his left arm for ease of painting. The fit of the arms is so good that I don't foresee a problem attaching it later on. I had to enlarge the opening in his collar to lower his head, so I could line up his his eye to the lamp's eyepiece. You could also just shorten his neck. His head, as well as those of the other two figures, is just temporarily pinned in place. All in all, I am very satisfied with the quality of these figures and would recommend them to anyone doing a RN vessel. Al
(PS) Anyone know where that cord from the 'Aldis lamp' goes to plug in? Never seems to be an outlet when/where you need one.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 09:40 AM UTC
Hi Al,

These are all great figures.

On the Aldis lamp, wire (i'd use lead rather then metal lead to any suitable electrical point. They were run of a battery type box when used on land, not sure if the same applied on ship.

I'll look for a pic.

Al

TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 10:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Al,

These are all great figures.

On the Aldis lamp, wire (i'd use lead rather then metal lead to any suitable electrical point. They were run of a battery type box when used on land, not sure if the same applied on ship.

I'll look for a pic.

Al

Thanks Alan, I figure there must be some sort of electrical outlet on the bridge, I just don't know where it would be. Al
TheModeller
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2012 - 01:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Alan, I figure there must be some sort of electrical outlet on the bridge, I just don't know where it would be. Al

Al Ross posted this pic in the other thread, the panel on the right with the capped connectors looks to have all the makings of an electrical distribution panel to me.

HTH.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2012 - 04:10 PM UTC
By George, I think you've got it! Thanks Les, those definitely look like electrical outlets & caps, and it looks to me as if the lead from the IFF antenna is plugged into one. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 05:07 AM UTC
FYI, Just got an e-mail from ADV/Azimut that they will shortly have those three Vosper crewmen from U-models available in their on-line shop. I haven't made any real progress on the figures that I already do have. So, hopefully, this will provide me with some motivation. Al