General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Building the mighty Bismarck
Selvatico
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Model Shipwrights: 28 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 12:08 PM UTC
Don't overlook the Eduard PE! I bought the "central section" PE; it has just about everything I wanted that was missing from the MK1 set.
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 01:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't overlook the Eduard PE! I bought the "central section" PE; it has just about everything I wanted that was missing from the MK1 set.

Unfortunately Jason it doesn't give anywhere near the detail I got from the 1/350 LionRoar set I used on my Revell Bismarck. And buying them in sets makes the full compliment almost $300 and is hasn't got all the details of either the Pontos or MK1 sets.
Looking into the Mk! Lite and DX sets it would appear that the DX set is better value for all the extra stuff you get for just a bit more money.
So I am waivering again over which MK1 set to get, but I think the Pontos basic set is a must.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 05:33 PM UTC
Luxury dilemmas here gentlemen
It is great to see that more and more after market alternatives are becoming available. I am quite satisfied with the Mk.1 offering, the Eduard PE for the boats didn't quite make it due to the softish metal they used. It will be very interesting to see how things compare with builds using Pontos, ( Andy, Warren) and Eduard, (Jason). So gentlemen, get building and put up some photos
Julian
Gremlin56
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 03:44 AM UTC
May 19th update:
Fitted the main mast to the Bismarck. Also spent an hour and a glass of wine comparing the Bismarck and the Arizona:

Still mulling on Trumpeters latest offering, the Hornet. Getting to be a problem where to store the stash and the builds............. Luxury problems once again.
Cheers,
Julian
spacepacker
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 47 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 05:24 AM UTC
Hey Julian, I picked up the the Academy 1/350 'Bismark' from my local Charity shop for £9-99

And a Tamiya 'Prince of Wales' for £15-00

So I have book marked your build for reference, If ever I build it; my work space is even smaller than yours.

You obviously know what you are talking about!.

Me, I've never built a boat in my life ...cheers...Kenny
Gremlin56
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 05:32 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Kenny,
Check out Warren Inman's Bismarck build. He used LionRoar photo etch and it looked fantastic.
Cheers,
Julian
spacepacker
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 47 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 05:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Welcome aboard Kenny,
Check out Warren Inman's Bismarck build. He used LionRoar photo etch and it looked fantastic.
Cheers,
Julian

Why, I think yours will look fantastic when finished...cheers....Kenny
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 05:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Welcome aboard Kenny,
Cheers,
Julian

Why, I think yours will look fantastic when finished...cheers....Kenny

It does look amazing, but it is 1/200 scale, not 1/350 scale Kenny.
Gremlin56
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 05:57 AM UTC
Be gentle with him Warren, these are his first ships
Actually he has chosen two nice models to start with.
Cheers,
Julian
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 07:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Be gentle with him Warren, these are his first ships
Actually he has chosen two nice models to start with.
Cheers,
Julian

I thought that was gentle...
Unlike the way I am feeling towards Mr Pontos at the moment..
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
Model Shipwrights: 941 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 08:26 AM UTC
They meet brilliant above of the table of the dining room. But I insist that better it would stay with the CV8 Hornet. This way we have an idea on a large scale ...
Julian if to half a way the Big B illuminates . like that I want to imagine finished!!!

Congratulations for this 2 beautiful works of art!!!!

Daniel
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 01:50 PM UTC
I fear the Hornet is just too expensive for me. I have a 1/350 one in the stash and it will have to do.
But yes, I think you should by it Julian so we can all see how good it is (or isn't) and then buy it when it comes down in price afetr you finish yours..
Gremlin56
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 04:40 PM UTC
Thanks Daniel, Warren,
Glad you both think the idea of buying the Hornet is a good one.
Now I just need to convince Mrs. Gremlin56
Julian
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 08:53 PM UTC
Has Trumpeter reached the very upper limits of its moulding ability? Guess how long the Bismark was overall, 251m.. Guess how much the USS Hornet CV-8 was, yep, you guessed it 251m..
Gremlin56
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 09:02 PM UTC
I noticed the similarity in length of the two ships. The Hornet will probably seem more massive than the big "B" due to her elegant shoe-box shape .
An interesting supposition though Warren, the speed of light or the sound barrier for injection molding single pieces.
How long was the 1/200th Nitchimo Yamato? Longer than the Bismarck wasn't she? a very heavy piece of plastic as well as I remember it......................
Cheers,
Julian
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 09:25 PM UTC
12m longer.
Gremlin56
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 10:13 PM UTC
12 m loa, not much difference there.

Cheers,
Julian
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 10:26 PM UTC
If i can add my two cents guys There really is no limit to what vessels can be moulded in 1/200. It basically comes down to cost. We've made tools that can mould bumpers for cars at 1.8m wide. The question is though, would you be willing to pay the price? Not only for the tooling but for the transport and packaging as well? There are 1/200 Yamato's out there. Theoretically Enterpise and Nimitz class are possible, but what would they cost? 1/200 is out of the ball park for me (and possibly most other modellers,) not only cost wise, but where would i put the bloody things? My wife would have a fit! And because of the price, your potential market share is even smaller, thus the unit price gets even higher.
Gremlin56
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 11:06 PM UTC
Think you hit the main point Russell, it's not Warren's "molding barrier" but Mrs. Gremlin56's "Space barrier" I would run into
Julian
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 - 03:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If i can add my two cents guys There really is no limit to what vessels can be moulded in 1/200. It basically comes down to cost. We've made tools that can mould bumpers for cars at 1.8m wide. The question is though, would you be willing to pay the price? Not only for the tooling but for the transport and packaging as well? There are 1/200 Yamato's out there. Theoretically Enterpise and Nimitz class are possible, but what would they cost? 1/200 is out of the ball park for me (and possibly most other modellers,) not only cost wise, but where would i put the bloody things? My wife would have a fit! And because of the price, your potential market share is even smaller, thus the unit price gets even higher.

Actually Russell I don't think the plastic they make bumpers out of (ABS) can mould fine detail. Whereas polystyrene is a much finer material and can reproduce the fine details. The other, even bigger problem, is that many postal services, like Auspost, won't even consider large parcels over about 1.05m, which I think is a huge cop out as they accept parcels from overseas bigger than that limit.
Of course the easy way around it would be to have multipart hulls like the Tamiya USS Enterprise.
And I don't think Mrs warreni would like it much either..
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 - 12:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Actually Russell I don't think the plastic they make bumpers out of (ABS) can mould fine detail. Whereas polystyrene is a much finer material and can reproduce the fine details. The other, even bigger problem, is that many postal services, like Auspost, won't even consider large parcels over about 1.05m, which I think is a huge cop out as they accept parcels from overseas bigger than that limit.
Of course the easy way around it would be to have multipart hulls like the Tamiya USS Enterprise.
And I don't think Mrs warreni would like it much either..

You've hit the nail on the head Warren.

Yep, we need bumpers made from impact resistant material Warren, to save everyone who thinks they can stop a car with their body and we need our models from Polystyrene, however that's not an issue in terms of tooling and moulding detail aside.

Multi part hulls are one possible solution, provided we're willing to accept that there will be a seam to hide But that's still a lot of tooling for the extra parts, not to mention something like a Nimitz would be around 1.6m long (where would I put that???), so extra parts would be needed to create bracing to stop hogging/sagging etc.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 - 01:43 PM UTC
The manufacturer of bumper bars has millions of the things to recoup his costs over, whereas the manufacturer of a 1/200 Nimitz would probably sell less than a few thousand f the kits worldwide so the cost of the mould etc would still be the same as the bumper but far higher unit cost due to the far fewer mouldings being produced. And as you said where would I store a 1.66m long Nimitz??
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 - 06:49 PM UTC
Could you imagine all the Mrs Gremlins, Warrenis, Russelles and all the other patient partners rolling their eyes, and the collective sighs if we all decided to start building 1/200 Nimitzs!!!
Ascaria
Visit this Community
Wroclaw, Poland
KitMaker: 253 posts
Model Shipwrights: 141 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 06:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Could you imagine all the Mrs Gremlins, Warrenis, Russelles and all the other patient partners rolling their eyes, and the collective sighs if we all decided to start building 1/200 Nimitzs!!!

Hi Russel,

a few weeks ago I was in Berlin in museum of transport, and I saw model (probably built was "in progres") of 1:50 Nimitz The ship was 7 meters long that was something ! If I will be able to find my photo of course I will post it here

Cheers Wojtek

MAKIETARIUM
Selvatico
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Model Shipwrights: 28 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 06:25 AM UTC
I've already decided I want to build a 1/200 Nimitz... and Missouri, and Hood, and Queen Mary, and Normandie. Trumpeter, I'm gonna make you rich if you keep pumping 'em out!

Anyway, here's my Bismarck so far:

I'm a bit behind everyone else, good thing I'm still fairly young because it's gonna take decades to finish this thing!