General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Building the mighty Bismarck
Selvatico
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Model Shipwrights: 28 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 06:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Don't overlook the Eduard PE! I bought the "central section" PE; it has just about everything I wanted that was missing from the MK1 set.

Unfortunately Jason it doesn't give anywhere near the detail I got from the 1/350 LionRoar set I used on my Revell Bismarck. And buying them in sets makes the full compliment almost $300 and is hasn't got all the details of either the Pontos or MK1 sets.
Looking into the Mk! Lite and DX sets it would appear that the DX set is better value for all the extra stuff you get for just a bit more money.
So I am waivering again over which MK1 set to get, but I think the Pontos basic set is a must.

I wonder what their "advanced set" will look like.. I might be tempted to do a Tirpitz down the road.

Anyway, I've spent way too much money on my Bismarck already and don't plan on getting any more aftermarket stuff.
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 01:56 PM UTC
Looking good Jason.
You are way ahead of me as I haven't even got my detail sets yet!
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 04:08 PM UTC
Excellent build Jason, looking really good!
Cheers,
JUlian
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 10:45 PM UTC
Very nice work Jason!

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Could you imagine all the Mrs Gremlins, Warrenis, Russelles and all the other patient partners rolling their eyes, and the collective sighs if we all decided to start building 1/200 Nimitzs!!!

Hi Russel,

a few weeks ago I was in Berlin in museum of transport, and I saw model (probably built was "in progres") of 1:50 Nimitz The ship was 7 meters long that was something ! If I will be able to find my photo of course I will post it here

Cheers Wojtek

MAKIETARIUM

Wojtek, that reminds me of the builders model that's on display in the NMM in London of HMS King George V. She's 1/48 and around 5metres long!

HMS KGV NMM
Ascaria
Visit this Community
Wroclaw, Poland
KitMaker: 253 posts
Model Shipwrights: 141 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 08:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice work Jason!

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Could you imagine all the Mrs Gremlins, Warrenis, Russelles and all the other patient partners rolling their eyes, and the collective sighs if we all decided to start building 1/200 Nimitzs!!!

Hi Russel,

a few weeks ago I was in Berlin in museum of transport, and I saw model (probably built was "in progres") of 1:50 Nimitz The ship was 7 meters long that was something ! If I will be able to find my photo of course I will post it here

Cheers Wojtek

MAKIETARIUM

Wojtek, that reminds me of the builders model that's on display in the NMM in London of HMS King George V. She's 1/48 and around 5metres long!

HMS KGV NMM

Hi Russel

At last have found this picture of NIMITZ. The light conditions was wery poor as you can see, (and for scale) in this shoes I am about 180 or 6 ft tall
By the way I would like to invite all of you Guys to visit my small blog www.makietarium.pl it is in polish, but I hope that soon I will be able to put at last some captions in english

Julian sorry for small off topic but I didnt start this "what if" with 1:200 Nimitz

with best regards from Poland

Wojtek
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 08:44 AM UTC
No problem at all Wojtek. There is no way I could smuggle that Nimitz past my wife
Nice to see the Robert E. Lee in your stash I have that one sitting up in the attic. Old but very nice.
cheers,
julian
Ascaria
Visit this Community
Wroclaw, Poland
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 09:09 AM UTC
Julian, with this old Revell Robert E Lee - this is very special story of my childhood I have found and installed simple plugin to my blog, so you can (with some minor problems) read all of my articles in one of 50 different languages

Cheers once again

Wojtek
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
Model Shipwrights: 941 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 01:21 PM UTC
Aaahhh!! I arm this Revell's old kit .... I am looking for some photo ..........

Daniel
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 - 03:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Julian, with this old Revell Robert E Lee - this is very special story of my childhood I have found and installed simple plugin to my blog, so you can (with some minor problems) read all of my articles in one of 50 different languages

Cheers once again

Wojtek

The translator works fine Wojtek,
A very nice website you have, I liked the article on the "Bengal Tiger"
I ran my own website dedicated to the flight simulation "Flanker 2" for about a year before deciding it was too much work keeping it up to date. Long time ago though, brings back happy memories.
Cheers,
Julian
Ascaria
Visit this Community
Wroclaw, Poland
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 - 08:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The translator works fine Wojtek,
A very nice website you have, I liked the article on the "Bengal Tiger"
I ran my own website dedicated to the flight simulation "Flanker 2" for about a year before deciding it was too much work keeping it up to date. Long time ago though, brings back happy memories.
Cheers,
Julian

Its very good news that this translator is working fine, but even with my not very good english (altough much better spoken than written) I can see some errors in translations. Hope that I will be able to convince some of my friends to publish few photos of their works at my Makietarium,and then I will try to put some captions in english on the Armorama or other forum pages.

Cheers

Wojtek
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 03:25 AM UTC
May 25th update:
Launches, tenders, bum-boats, call them what you will. They add to the total "look" of a warship even though they take up time to build:

Rather slow progress at the moment due to lots of things happening at work to keep me away from the Bismarck.
Cheers,
Julian
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

May 25th update:
Launches, tenders, bum-boats, call them what you will. They add to the total "look" of a warship even though they take up time to build:

Rather slow progress at the moment due to lots of things happening at work to keep me away from the Bismarck.
Cheers,
Julian

Yeah yeah yeah.. any excuse..
The colour you used for the wooden decks of the ... boats appears to be a little too red looking at it on my computer Julian. Didn't one of the detail sets come with wooden decks for the ... boats?
Anyway, it is still looking excellent my fried. It is 0136hrs here and I am going back to bed to hopefully get a few more hours sleep.
Cheers Julian
Warren
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 03:48 AM UTC
I used a layer of Vallejo deck tan and covered/sprayed it with Tamiya clear orange X-26. In the real world it looks like varnished wood but the photos turned up rather red/orange. I like the effect though. The Mk.1 brass set is like a monkey's nuts, cold and brass

Maybe Pontos supplies wooden decks for the boats.
Cheers mate,
Julian
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 06:45 AM UTC
Tsk, tsk, Julian, you're slipping, there's no 'glass' in the windows on those boats! All kidding aside, they look great. You really get a feel for the size of the ship when you see how small those boats are in comparison. Al
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 07:12 AM UTC
Sheesh, getting all ready to scrap the entire build here Al cheers,
Julian
Ascaria
Visit this Community
Wroclaw, Poland
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 08:27 PM UTC
Hi Julian

you did great job with lifeboats, IMHO its worst part of the modell, its very strange because lifeboats of Trumpys Arizona looks much better. Original boats from Bismarck looks in my opinion rather like overscaled 1:350 parts.

Cheers

Wojtek
MAKIETARIUM
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 08:44 PM UTC
Hi Wojtek,
Thank you very much The hull is the only Trumpeter part used for the launches, cabin etc. is all Mk. 1 photo etch.
The Arizona boats were much better out of box.

Cheers,
Julian
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
Model Shipwrights: 941 posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2013 - 01:00 AM UTC
Very good ... very good.!!!! Only I scare everything what waits for me!! Jajajaj
In my country .....commen.... a few years ago one of the life boat of Graf Spee stay in the port of Punta del Este ......
I cannot confirm it..

Regards Daniel
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 04:57 AM UTC
That would be interesting to see, photos of the launch of the Admiral Graf Spee. Hope to get some more work done this weekend after racing around Holland and joining meetings all week. Time for a quiet weekend and a nice glass of wine to calm the rather jagged nerves
Julian
Fletcherman
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 06:05 AM UTC
Hi I hope to share my painted hull this weekend and I hope it looks at as good as yours!

David
Fletcherman
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 06:06 AM UTC
Hi Juilian, You have good taste in Ships and Wine...nice
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 06:44 AM UTC
Welcome aboard David, feel free to post some photos of your build. Glad to hear you appreciate a good glass of wine too
Cheers,
Julian
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2013 - 11:42 PM UTC
June 2nd update:
More work on the ship's launches:

All for now
Cheers,
Julian
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 03:16 AM UTC

Julian, is it me, or is that boat in the upper part of the photo just a little over-sized for the Bismarck? Admiral's yacht perhaps?:D Al
Gremlin56
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 03:23 AM UTC
Towed target, ever seen the Caine mutiny?
Different project Al, non-heavy metal.
Cheers,
Julian