General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Building the mighty Bismarck
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 - 03:00 PM UTC
My Bismarck has finally commenced its journey from Hong Kong.. by sea..
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 - 05:08 PM UTC
Hope you are up and joining in on the fun here soon then
Julian
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 - 06:19 PM UTC
1 - 2 months... lol.. But $40 cheaper better in my pocket! Put it towards the detail sets that will be coming sooner than later.

The proverbial Slow Boat from China..
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 - 03:12 AM UTC
December 14th update:
I have been working on the main deck this past week. Nearly there with the painting and washing. The deck is still wet here from the last wash so the final result will be lighter.After it has dried I decide whether or not to add more washes:

(and yes, turret "Anton is in the wrong position )

cheers,
Julian
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 - 04:23 AM UTC
Looking great Julian - still a few other minor decks to deal with
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 - 04:34 AM UTC
Thanks Jan,
still a long road to travel
Julian
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 - 08:14 AM UTC
Wooden decks are the way to go.. resistance is futile...

Looking good so far Julian.
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 - 08:49 AM UTC
Thanks mate, they look great on your Emden and Simon's Varyag.
Jan found a link to what appears to be the first big PE set for the Bismarck yesterday. KA-models, wooden deck, PE everything including the kitchen sink. Only problem is that it clocks in at a healthy 235 Euros. Added to the price of the Bismarck, some paint, wooden stand and a couple of other odds and sods and I end paying more than I paid for my Epiphone Les Paul Standard.
Quick deja-vu moment: do I want it? Will mrs. Gremlin 56 let me live if I succumb to the temptation?...................
More deliberation over a glass of Brandy needed here.

Like the banner by the way, see you are going Imperial Chinese navy. Nice.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 - 09:40 AM UTC
Hello Mr Sallows.
I can wait a while for the PE set and I am sure it will get much more affordable by the time I need it.
I have all the Bronco Imperial Chinese Navy kits but I am not sure I will be building the Cheng Yuen as it is basically the same as the Ting Yuen, but I will need to check that.
Construction sequence for the Ting is different to any other ship I have built and it looks like there will need to be much more pre-painting than in previous kits.
We will see how it goes.
I am glad you like the banner. Came to me in a flash of inspiration after seeing yours.. banner that is!!
Cheers and enjoy the brandy,
Warren
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 - 09:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wooden decks are the way to go.. resistance is futile...

While I find wooden attractive, I am somehat concerned about longterm adherance and workking with other materials.

I go for the painted version on a ship this big.

Cheers/Jan
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 - 09:45 AM UTC
All I do to ensure the adherence to the plastic is run thin CA glue under the deck..

Julian, you will be happy to know that there are five different sets coming from KA. There are no images available yet but I am thinking the DX set is there whizz-bang everything set, and the other four sets are there to allow you to buy the full set gradually.. maybe??
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 - 11:51 AM UTC
Great work so far everyone! These are gonna be some mighty impressive pieces of work when completed!
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 - 10:19 PM UTC
Artwox have just announced a super set for the Big B as well..
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
Model Shipwrights: 72 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 03:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Artwox have just announced a super set for the Big B as well..

any links to artwox ? I cant find anything!!!
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 04:19 AM UTC
Saturday 15th update:
More washes added this morning. This afternoon I started working on painting all the fittings and hatches which add to the look of the ship:

Adding washes to the main deck hasn't finished yet, still need to add pin washes when the grey paintwork is finished.
Cheers,
Julian
Removed by original poster on 12/15/12 - 20:04:47 (GMT).
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
Model Shipwrights: 941 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 08:35 AM UTC
Hello friends I see you are very active in my absence. Julian this this cover remaining very royal!! Mr Mox you illuminating these with these radars!!!
Great work!!!
To the return I met the good news ... the postman visit myself and it brought everything bought in GPM for my Spee 1-200 ... not looked at the detail but shine very well!!!!

Warren ...Dont worry the mine he estimates come on February 19 ....... to add up the days that are delayed here jejeje by the middle of 2013 I will have it in my hands jajajja

Julian?? Your these using the cannons of the kit or of metal??

Regards for all
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 08:47 AM UTC
Good to see you back Daniel. Don't worry, the delay will allow the after market people time to release their upgrade sets. Our Bismarcks will look MUCH better than these ones..

@ Andy, go to http://artwox.com/index.php?document_srl=4432 for a look. No pictures or anything just a guide to what is going to be in the set.

DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
Model Shipwrights: 941 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 09:33 AM UTC
Warren!!! Your these madman?? Jajaj these wetting the ear to these two teachers of plastic !!
I think that we will have to spend a fortune in attachés to try to object battle to these two Bismarck!! If it is true that we will have the way more clear but will have to strengthen our neurons
Thank you for the link ... this set this one to 179 usd at the end of 2012 jejeje

Friends Julian and Jan ...... Im kept to depth of periscope with the white flag. Favor to speak with Warren ... jejejejjeje

Daniel
sighbeerguy
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 79 posts
Model Shipwrights: 59 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 10:52 AM UTC
Here is a link to the KA DX pack for the 1/200 Trumpy Bismarck.

http://www.ka-models.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=541

Acres of P.E. frets.

Lots of wood decking and resin bits.

Oh yes, 116 pieces of turned brass, including barrels for the 20 mm guns. And pre-colored life rings...

I am tempted, but will I live long enough to finish it all?

warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 11:06 AM UTC
On another KA Model website page there is the list of sets but the links are not there.

Hmmm.. one wonders why they did PE decks for the tenders etc showing wooden planking when they SHOULD have done them in wood that they use for the ship's deck anyway.. strange..

And another thing, why can't I see any steel decking under the anchor chains? It looks like just wood to me.. and that is how I did my LionRoar Bissy...
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 07:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello friends I see you are very active in my absence. Julian this this cover remaining very royal!! Mr Mox you illuminating these with these radars!!!
Great work!!!
To the return I met the good news ... the postman visit myself and it brought everything bought in GPM for my Spee 1-200 ... not looked at the detail but shine very well!!!!

Warren ...Dont worry the mine he estimates come on February 19 ....... to add up the days that are delayed here jejeje by the middle of 2013 I will have it in my hands jajajja

Julian?? Your these using the cannons of the kit or of metal??

Regards for all

Welcome back aboard Daniel, glad to see you didn't get eaten by an armadillo on holiday
Progress is being made. Good to hear that your order for the Graf Spee has arrived, time to put some photo's here so everyone can see the magic you are working
The barrels you see are the metal ones supplied in Trumpeter's add-on set. There are several discussions going on on-line if the shape toward the breech is correct or not.
I am also stepping away from accuracy with the grey plating near the bow. This should be wooden planking but I am not taking the risk of ruining the deck by doing my own scribing. Just painting it brown looks rather goofy so I chose for the "Hellgrau" steel plate route. About a third of it will disappear under the swastika air recognition markings.
I rather like the contrast between the grey and the wooden deck, so that is an unexpected bonus here.
Hope that your and Warren's Bismarcks arrive soon, can you imagine the fun here if there are several builds going on?
cheers for now,
Julian
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 07:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

On another KA Model website page there is the list of sets but the links are not there.

Hmmm.. one wonders why they did PE decks for the tenders etc showing wooden planking when they SHOULD have done them in wood that they use for the ship's deck anyway.. strange..

And another thing, why can't I see any steel decking under the anchor chains? It looks like just wood to me.. and that is how I did my LionRoar Bissy...

Looks like Trumpeter are putting a lot of people on the wrong foot Warren:

KA are leaving space for the steel plating on the Bismarck.
The Revell Tirpitz and Bismarck show this as wood and there are photo's that confirm it is wood.
Cheers,
Julian
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
Model Shipwrights: 72 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 08:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Here is a link to the KA DX pack for the 1/200 Trumpy Bismarck.

http://www.ka-models.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=541

Acres of P.E. frets.

Lots of wood decking and resin bits.

Oh yes, 116 pieces of turned brass, including barrels for the 20 mm guns. And pre-colored life rings...

I am tempted, but will I live long enough to finish it all?

Cheers Andrew that looks the set for me
Warren,I'm going to use the wood "sprues" from my Academy 1/350 Graf Spee for the tender decks.
Jan and Julian keep up the stunning work boys and keep them pictures coming.
I managed to pick up a copy of Jack Browers ANATOMY OF THE SHIP The Battleship BISMARCK for £29 ,Amazon are asking silly money as are Ebay I think its down to the release of this kit!!!.
To me ,this is a MUST HAVE book for this build the drawings are fantastic and cover most of the ship ,a model makers dream!!!
Cant wait to lay the keel down on mine
Andy
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 08:22 PM UTC
Julian, if you look at the picture of the other piece of the wooden deck the anchor chain planks are there.

@ Andy, I can tell you that the Monographs are even better as they have CAD drawings in them that are even clearer due to the 3D element in them. You need books 18 and 19 in the series.