General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1/200 HMS Rodney with Pontos Stuff
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2018 - 10:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Warren,

Your model mate. At the time of the Bismarck chase I think the hull was AP507B and the superstructure was 505C.

Not sure when she was repainted, sometime in 1942, the shields weren't added to the 4.7 until august '43 - give or take the kit fit will be close for mid / late 42, at which tme she could have still been in grey.

But as I said it is your model.

If I get the puppy I will be backdating to the Bismarck chase fit.

Cheers

Si

Careful with that one Si.

I think Rodney and KGV were painted the same at the time of the Bismarck episode which means all vertical surfaces were AP507B and horizontal/decks were dark deck grey. AP507A/B being applied to home fleet vessels while AP507C was used on foreign stations at that time.

AP507C was only applied to the superstructure with the hull in AP507B post war. Rodney and Nelson didn't survive much beyond the end of the war and never (If i recall correctly) received that paint scheme.

According to Sovereign hobbies what we used to think was AP507A was in fact dark deck grey. Dark deck grey was in fact its own colour while AP507A was just a variation on AP507B.

There's a great colour chart here which provides colours per year and where the vessel was stationed.

But of course, as Si said Warren, it's totally up to you
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 - 10:39 AM UTC
Argh!! I need a good stiff drink I think. Might have to open my 21 year old Scotch and have a wee dram or 20..

If I paint the Rodney in her 'Sink The Bismarck' scheme it is going to look alot like the 1/200 HMS Nelson I have sitting in the stash which is going to be in her late war Haze Grey scheme.

But stuffing around trying to get the right colours and the actual scheme correct seems like a very large PIA and waste of time. As I can't seem to find decent sized diagrams of both sides of the ship in her camo scheme it is going to be very difficult to make my masks up for spraying the scheme as I usually do. And brush painting the huge hull etc is just not really feasible.

Where's that Scotch....

RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 - 06:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Argh!! I need a good stiff drink I think. Might have to open my 21 year old Scotch and have a wee dram or 20..

If I paint the Rodney in her 'Sink The Bismarck' scheme it is going to look alot like the 1/200 HMS Nelson I have sitting in the stash which is going to be in her late war Haze Grey scheme.

But stuffing around trying to get the right colours and the actual scheme correct seems like a very large PIA and waste of time. As I can't seem to find decent sized diagrams of both sides of the ship in her camo scheme it is going to be very difficult to make my masks up for spraying the scheme as I usually do. And brush painting the huge hull etc is just not really feasible.

Where's that Scotch....

Apologies Warren,

I think Russ is correct, just been digging through my books again, and there is a clear photo in Raven & Roberts that shows the Rodney coming out of Boston, and in that the hull and the upperworks very much appear to be the same colour.

Cheers

Si
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 - 09:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Where's that Scotch....

Sorry to do this to you Warren

The late war "Haze grey" scheme you mention for Nelson would be quite distinct to Rodney's early war home fleet colours:

For the late war Haze grey/BPF service she would have had (correct me if I'm wrong) the Admiralty Standard Camouflage Scheme A:

Vertical Surfaces—G45 (Warm Light Grey)

Blue panel on hull—B20 (Medium Blue-Grey)

Steel decks & walkways-Dark deck Grey

So doing Rodney in the early war home fleet colours of AP507B for the vertical surfaces with dark deck grey would look a fair bit different from Nelson, even though these two ships were hard to tell apart.

Now, the #1 rule I use when building a model: If I can't find out what is the correct camo scheme (or anything else for that matter) then what chance does anyone else? So, based on that logic, how can it be wrong?

So if that's all that's holding you back from the camo, then I say go for it!
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 - 10:04 PM UTC
There have been a few developments in the camo scheme saga I will pass on later.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 07:16 PM UTC
Hello everyone.

Unfortunately the Rodney is stalled while I get the paints I need for that 1943 camo scheme.

Thanks to Jamie from Sovereign hobbies I now have the means to make my paper masks. I have already printed them out and they can hibernate for a little while.

In the meantime I have decided to build a subject I have had in ny stash for well over 5 years, the Dragon 1/350 USS Gearing.

Will start up another blog in just a minute. See you there!

Warren
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 08:26 AM UTC
They're pretty good over at Sovereign Hobbies for help aren't they Warren!

good to hear you've finally got the disruptive pattern nutted out-we wait with baited breath for progess-meanwhile over to the Gearing!
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 07:40 AM UTC
Hi Warren,

even if you've been stalled a bit over the camouflage and colors, still great progress and very fine work on your Rodney! I've been away rather long, so there is still enough new for me to see!

Nice Walrii business, reminds me on something quite a few years ago...

Cheers,
Jan
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2018 - 09:53 AM UTC
Very nice and clean work so far Warren.....Cheers mark
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 02:47 PM UTC
Thanks everyone.

Well my plans for the Rodney's sister ship, the Nelson, was just going to be build it OOB, but, damn you Luckymodel!!, they have reducesd the Pontos set to a level I just couldn't refuse.

I am weak....
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2019 - 09:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks everyone.

Well my plans for the Rodney's sister ship, the Nelson, was just going to be build it OOB, but, damn you Luckymodel!!, they have reducesd the Pontos set to a level I just couldn't refuse.

I am weak....

Aren't we all?
cuspidflyer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2019 - 10:46 AM UTC
Warren, you are a PE god! I've been taking my first try with PE on the 1/350 Prince of Wales model and working through a lot of frustration. Do you have any youtube videos of how you do your photoetch work? Looking forward to more photos from your Rodney project.

TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 - 05:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Warren, you are a PE god! ...

I agree - perhaps more of a PE "saint", because I for one would be seriously tested if confronted with that much etch!
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2019 - 06:23 PM UTC
Well here we are six months later and not a lick of paint has touched the good ole Wodney. My plan to get the correct colours seems to have failed due to idiot Royal Mail people so I think I will give alternates a try and damn the torpedos! More than six months is way too long to have a ship on the slipway of Inman Shipyard.

Cheers
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2019 - 06:54 PM UTC
Just ordered the paints I needed in the Lifecolor range. Used them before on my Snowberry and if you use a large nozzle on your airbrush they come out beautifully. A little retarder is a good idea as well.

Having worked on or around aircraft for most of my career I have no idea why you can't send Colorcoats outside of the UK as they are a fire hazard. How can paint in a tightly lidded tiny tin be a fire hazard? We won't mention the thousands of gallons of other flammable liquids on the aircraft will we...

Safety nazi idiocy.

Soverign, you need an agent in Australia that gives a damn.

Wait, how do you ship colorcoats to your overseas sellers?...
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 27, 2019 - 01:19 AM UTC
I don't understand it either. While learning the requlations of hazard materials transportation in the USA I learn you can ship up to 500 pounds of explosives on a bus and with a permit 1,000 pounds.

Mark
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2019 - 04:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just ordered the paints I needed in the Lifecolor range. Used them before on my Snowberry and if you use a large nozzle on your airbrush they come out beautifully. A little retarder is a good idea as well.

Having worked on or around aircraft for most of my career I have no idea why you can't send Colorcoats outside of the UK as they are a fire hazard. How can paint in a tightly lidded tiny tin be a fire hazard? We won't mention the thousands of gallons of other flammable liquids on the aircraft will we...

Safety nazi idiocy.

Soverign, you need an agent in Australia that gives a damn.

Wait, how do you ship colorcoats to your overseas sellers?...

Agreed! The postage restrictions no doubt were a contributing factor to WEM's demise a few years back!

6 months!? Warren, you're in danger of moving into my territory of 5 year builds!
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2019 - 12:30 PM UTC
I have a 30 year old build at home...
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 - 04:10 PM UTC
After a lengthy saga I finally have the paints I need! Will be spraying the hull this weekend weather permitting. It is too big to spray in the house.
horrido666
KitMaker: 37 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2019 - 10:48 PM UTC
Love how you explain everything you do. Makes things interesting, and I always pick up useful knowledge.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2019 - 11:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Love how you explain everything you do. Makes things interesting, and I always pick up useful knowledge.

Glad to be of assistance

And another thing..

Amazingly after months of inaction due to a severe lack of correct colours the hull is almost finished!! Couple of touchups and she will be ready for the rest of the build, oh and the anti-fouling paint and boot top.

Cheers
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2019 - 06:22 PM UTC
Greetings all.

Can anybody tell me with any certainty what colour the steel decks were on the Rodney, and what colour the various vents etc were.

TIA

Warren
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2019 - 06:51 AM UTC
Warren,

Nice camo work on the hull.

Mark
warreni