General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Operation: Warships of the Atlantic Conflict
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 11:39 AM UTC
Ok gents, I'm sticking to my guns. I'm building the Heller 1/400 DKM Lutzow, sister pocket Battleship to the Graf Spee. ( I'm a battleship kind of a guy ) I am going to build her mostly OOB , but will add pe railing to the kit. I decided not to do the Tamiya 1/350 Missouri, it would have taken me much longer then the group build to complete.
Dang, ya mean we have to wait untill march 20 to start ?
LOL! this going to be fun guys!

Cheers
Garry
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 12:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm building the Heller 1/400 DKM Lutzow, sister pocket Battleship to the Graf Spee

Then why build the Lutzow, she wasn't anything but a tricked out cruiser. :-) Now if you want a REAL battleship, may I suggest HMS Warspite. Ok,ok, I know you guys are tired of hearing about the Warspite. If you don't want Wasrpite how about a nice KGV?
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 12:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'm building the Heller 1/400 DKM Lutzow, sister pocket Battleship to the Graf Spee

Then why build the Lutzow, she wasn't anything but a tricked out cruiser. :-) Now if you want a REAL battleship, may I suggest HMS Warspite. Ok,ok, I know you guys are tired of hearing about the Warspite. If you don't want Wasrpite how about a nice KGV?

Ok go ahead and pick on me, I'm a big target! LOL , The KGV ? Just built one last summer, its in my Gallery's. I have an Airfix Warspite in my stash, might just build it one of these days!Like you say Rodger, to many models not enough time!

Garry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 01:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Whew!!!! Just checked references on the internet. USS Tennessee, SSBN-734, is stationed out of Kings Bay, GA and operates with the Atlantic Fleet. Almost had to change to the CSS Hunley. The Tennessee kit is injected plastic, while the Hunley is a resin kit. I don't feel like tackling a resin kit while I have some other resin kits already on the work bench.

Jeff

O.K., without any more 'ado', I will take your above remarks as a confirmation Ranger!! So, I take it from your post you are also planning on a Sub!..........very interesting?
It's GREAT to have you on board Ranger! Your input on the other threads has been enlightening and a bit of a kick for me, because I think guys like you and ARMDCAV who give the 'floaty' guys a run for their money! Who says armour guys don't know the high seas!!

Tread

Hey, for the record, and just to 'stir the pot'. I was thinking about building something 'different' as well. But, not enough hours on the clock!
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 01:57 PM UTC
Tread:
Well, well well FINALLY an excuse to build the 1/35th Andrea U-boat conning tower. It aint the whole ship but I think it will fit in. Any objections?
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 02:07 PM UTC
Hehe - Howdy Tread!

Count me in!!! This sounds like a fun build - and I am open to trying anything.....

I don't have a subject picked out (don't own any ships yet) ... any ideas? I'd like to do a 1/350th scale ship.... and will be open to any and all suggestions. Since I have never done a ship before - any kit advice will be well recieved.

By the way - I like ships with lotsa big guns :-) So a battleship or cruiser would be up my alley.

Later-
Jeff
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 02:17 PM UTC
Sounds like that would fit right in to me Porkchop. U-boats were a big part in the Atlantic!
That would be a neat build, and very interesting to. Glad to have you on board mate!

Cheers,
Garry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 02:21 PM UTC

A big 'Boy Howdy' to you MadMeex!!

I am so very glad to hear of your dilemma! Gee, a 'Liberty Ship' (very interesting subject, and certainly a MAJOR factor in the outcome of the War). Or a 'Hunley'! Hmmmm, that makes two of you bloke's who have thought of the 'Hunley'......very impressed. :-)
O.K......someone needs to build a Hunley!.......seriously. If someone else doesn't step up to the plate.......Garry's building one!....oops!, no wait., HalfYank's gonna build one,...doh!....O.K., I'll build one!.....no, can't do that.I don't own one.
Silly rabbit.

Tread.

My LHS does have a Monitor.......

That makes 14. :-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 02:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Awesome....hmmmm King George V or Bismarck. I want to build the Bismarck, but when I do it I want to do it right, and this will be my first battleship. Though one.

When is this party gonna start?

Again.....I will take that as a confirmation! This "party" is starting March 20th. So, spend the time wisely, and pick out a project or two. Rumour is HalfYank's building a dozen!

Just kidding.

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 02:32 PM UTC
Howdy PorkChop!

It's a pleasure to have you join us! Not only that, but now I'm jealous. I saw that Conning Tower and really liked it! But, unfortunately I didn't follow up on it. Very glad you did, this way I get to enjoy it vicariously thru you mate!
My only self-indulgent request is that you make sure you share the pics with us! Deal?

Tread.

That makes 15.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 02:39 PM UTC
Boy Howdy jrnelson!

I can't tell you how good it is to welcome another good member to the ranks!! Believe me, you've found a great Build to be a part of. I can speak from a wee bit of experience. I was (and still am) a 'newbie' when I 'came a callin' over at the Warship Forums. And these guys have welcomed me with open arms. Just like most members here do!
It's gonna be great jr!

So, want some help on choice's huh? These guys have absolutely superb in that regard. Just give them all a chance to 'pipe' in, and I'm sure we can fine tune it down for ya!

Again, a very warm welcome aboard!

Tread.

That makes it 16!
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 03:05 PM UTC
lol - Tread...

I think I just decided... :-)

Gonna do the German WW I battleship Konig... by ICM... hehe

Just ordered it along with the white ensign models PE set....

Can't wait to start :-)

Later-
Jeff
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 03:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hehe - Howdy Tread!

Count me in!!! This sounds like a fun build - and I am open to trying anything.....

I don't have a subject picked out (don't own any ships yet) ... any ideas? I'd like to do a 1/350th scale ship.... and will be open to any and all suggestions. Since I have never done a ship before - any kit advice will be well recieved.

By the way - I like ships with lotsa big guns :-) So a battleship or cruiser would be up my alley.

Later-
Jeff

Welcome to the water nuts with big guns Jeff ! The 1/350 scale is a good choice, and Battleships are right up my Alley to! For a first time ship build a 1/350 Battlewagon can be a bit overwhelming. That will be up to you. On the other hand, if you on this site, you are already a experienced builder so that would make it easier. Normaly for a new ship builder I would suggest the Tamiya 1/350 Fletcher class Destroyer, a well known good kit. great fit and well detailed. But if you are set on a Battleship, I would think the Tamiya 1/350 Bismarck would be a good learning experience! Not as overwhelming as a King GeorgeV or a USS Missouri would be. The Bismarck kit is know slouch, and builds into a Beautiful warship!
If you have any questions at all or need help, just give a yell,,glad to have you with us, it going to be fun!

HTH,
Garry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 03:30 PM UTC

Sounds great jrnelson! What scale is that? Or more importantly, is that a scale that requires ' young' eyes?....meaning (for me) anything below 1/350th scale.

Hmmm, I'll have to look that one up....Konig huh?

Tread.
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Model Shipwrights: 21 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 03:32 PM UTC
A great idea for a campaign and I'd like to join please.

I'm not sure what I'll build, but for now I'm leaning towards a WW2 freighter or oiler of some sort.

Any suggestions from the naval dudes about the best manufactures/kit quality etc would be greatly appreciated (and listened too )

Thanks.

Steve
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 03:39 PM UTC

Whoops! sorry jr, my bad. I didn't catch the "WW I " part......(I really need to get new reading glasses).
Excellent choice at chosing something other than WW II ! I mean, I love the second World War era, but there are so many other choice's that go overlooked. Good on ya!
It sounds like you enjoy a challenge....also GOOD!
I must say, that after starting all this reading and researching about 'floaty' things, it has really become quite intriguing. In fact, some of the World War One stuff is very cool! The turret shape, the hull paintjobs, the superstructure configurations.....very cool.
IN FACT again......has anyone checked out the VERY interesting Russian ships????
Now there's an 'untapped' market!!

Tread.

Hmmmm, gives me an idea............. :-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 03:52 PM UTC
Oh Man!! Howdy WeWillHold!

This is turning into a really great Build!! All of the participant's signing on board are really making me feel GREAT about this Operation. I don't know if any of you guys have seen WeWillHold's work, but his stuff is excellent! Granted, his stuff is mostly armour (that I've seen), but if he does half as good on a 'floaty' thing as he does (read, did) on his Hetzer (my fav) for example, or his stunning T34 dio....well, I am beginning to feel very much at the 'back of the pack'!
Supremely glad to have you signed up WeWillHold. Your addition to the Group can only make us stronger!

Tread.

That makes 17!

edit So...you're choosing a freighter or an Oiler huh? Your talents in the 'filtering/weathering' dept. wouldn't have anything to do with that decision......would it?

Ya know, the more I think about this, the more I think that this 'cross-modeling' thing is a plus to all involved.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 03:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

lol - Tread...

I think I just decided... :-)

Gonna do the German WW I battleship Konig... by ICM... hehe

Just ordered it along with the white ensign models PE set....

Can't wait to start :-)

Later-
Jeff

The Konig, dang thats a good one! I did not mention this kit becouse I thought it was out of production. If you found one good for you! They are a very nice kit. I just wish they would put out more WW-1 subjects !

Cheers,
Garry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 04:18 PM UTC
I agree Garry! More 'earlier' stuff would be just dandy with me! As I said in my above post, some of the stuff I am finding during my efforts at 'floaty' thing research is fascinating!
And...just for the record. I really have both you and HalfYank to thank for my new 'disease'
You were both immensely helpful to me in the formative stages of this thing we'll call AWMS. Or, Advanced Warship Modeler's Syndrome. Even though I can't take credit for the moniker, it still applies!
Yep.
I'd love to see some of that 'earlier' stuff!

Tread.
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 04:34 PM UTC
Paint info for the Konig:

http://german-navy.tripod.com/sms_paint-overview.htm

Some ships for $20 or so would be Revell's Vosper British torpedo boat, S-100 schnellboot,
Graf Zepplin proposed German aircraft carrier-began but not completed. Or for around $70 their Flower class corvette. Their mission Capistrano is found on ebay frequently. It's a WW-II oiler. Not the best kit in the world they also have a seaplane tender-pine island also in 1/400 and also not the best kit in the world but fun for a first warship maybe? The Titanic can be built as the Olympic whicjh was ued as a troopship in the great war as was the Mauretania. Both these ships sported Razzle Dazzle camouflage ( I'm playing with the Mauretania now). The queen Mary was also a WW-I troopship painted in an overall grey for those not up to a challenge : )
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 04:35 PM UTC
Tread, you mentioned that the crossover modeling we all could benifit from it. Yes, I have thought that way for quite awhile. I model Ships, aircraft and now Armor. And what I learn about one, I can use on other subjects ! You will find this true when you try a new subject for awhile, then go back to your old standby. You will Think hey, I can use this technique on my Sherman that I just learned on that ship model! And it works the other way around to. They all complement each other. Hey do we have a great hobby here or what ?

Cheers,
Garry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 04:53 PM UTC
Howdy Mike!

There ya go jr! A superb reference page for your Konig. Mike, your suggestions are great! One, I didn't know the Titanic could be built as the Olympia!....and it had Dazzle stripes! Ohhhhhhh. Now I'm jealous of that idea!
The Queen Mary....believe it or not, I traveled on the original Queen when I was a lad! I suppose that 'dates' me huh? I know it was used as a troop ship, just didn't know what the colouring was.

Many thx Mike!! :-)

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 05:01 PM UTC
Garry, we are in agreement with that! I have looked at quite a few ship models as of late and I really feel that a sharing of, shall we call it, 'cross-over' techniques. Will be a benefit to all. Maybe my 'eyes' are skewed, but my general opinion is that most of the ship models I've seen, could do with some more weathering. But then of course, I must be out of my mind, since the Navy (I know this first-hand), paints anything that is not alive, or nailed down!
So, maybe my minds eye IS canted towards the 'armour' side of things......

Tread.

Hey, BTW modelguy2...I'm curious. Is there anyone who makes any of the early Russian ships?
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 06:34 PM UTC
Hello Tread,
I did a search, and only came up with two Russian Battleships. The company Model Russia has the 1/400 BB Potyom and the BB Aurora.
But it seems like I have heard of others in 1/350 scale. I hope Modelguy2 can help here!

HTH,
Garry
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 07:08 PM UTC
A quick search at Squadron produced these:

Maquette from Russia 1/400
Cruiser Aurora
Battleship Potemkin

Trumpeter from China 1/200
Courageous Class Destroyer WW-II (Russian)

Mirage Hobby from Poland 1/400

ORP Kaszub wz.25 Torpedo Boat Wz25 cool boat! $6.47!
V-106 WWI German Torpedo Boat $6.47!

1/700 WATERLINE SERIES
Item # Description Ships in
the Gallery Kit reviews Full Buildups
70001 Petr Veliki armour-clad
70002 Yermak icebreaker NEW
70101 Poltava battleship
70102 Sevastopol battleship
70103 Petropavlovsk battleship
70104 Suvorov battleship
70105 Orel battleship
70106 Sokol destroyer
70107 Navarin battleship
70108 Sisoy Veliki battleship
70109 Retvizan battleship
70110 Tsesarevich battleship
70111 Borodino battleship
70112 Bogatyr cruiser
70113 Avrora cruiser
70114 Askold cruiser
70115 Svietlana cruiser
70116 Boyarin cruiser
70117 Rurik cruiser
70118 Rossiya cruiser
70119 Gromoboi cruiser early
70120 Novik light cruiser
70121 Oleg cruiser
70122 Ochakov / Kagul cruiser
70123 Pallada cruiser
70124 Diana cruiser
70125 Oslyabya battleship
70126 Peresviet battleship
70127 Pobieda battleship
70128 Admiral Senyavin battleship
70129 Admiral Ushakov battleship
70130 General-Admiral Apraksin battleship
70131 Imperator Nikolai I batteleship
70132 Admiral Nakhimoff armoured cruiser
70133 Varyag cruiser
70134 Bditelni destroyer
70135 Vnimatelni destroyer
70136 Boevoi destroyer
70137 Lieutenant Burakov (Taku) destroyer
70138 Koreyets gunboat
70139 Zhemchug light cruiser
70140 Izumrud light cruiser
70141 Almaz 2-nd rank cruiser
70142 Bayan armoured cruiser
70143 Tri Sviatitelia battleship
70144 Georgi Pobiedonosetz battleship
70145 Imperator Aleksandr II battleship March
70146 Vladimir Monomakh 1st rank cruiser NEW
70147 Dmitri Donskoi 1st rank cruiser NEW
70148 Imperator Aleksandr III (Borodino type) battleship NEW
70149 Likhoi destroyer January 2003
70150 Tochnyi destroyer January 2003
70151 Dvenadsat Apostolov battleship TBA March 2003
70201 Gangut 1914 battleship
70202 Tral minesweeper Storm sloop OD-200 & MO-4
70203 Sibirskiy Strelok destroyer
70204 Kirov light cruiser Pr.26
70205 Molotov light cruiser Pr.26bis
70206 Type S submarine
70207 Type M submarineXII series NEW
70208 Profintern light cruiser TBA 2003
70209 Petropavlovsk 1914 battleship
70210 Oktyabrskaya Revolutsia battleship TBA 2003
70211 Parizhskaya Communa battleship
70212 Soobrazitelny destroyer Pr.7U
70213 Rurik II 1909 armoured cruiser
70214 Tashkent destroyer’s leader
70215 Novik destroyer
70216PE Imperatritza Maria battleship NEW
70217PE Imperatritza Ekaterina Velikaya battl. NEW
70218PE Imperator Aleksandr III battleship NEW
70219 Gromoboi cruiser 1914
70220PE Andrei Pervozvannyi battleship
70221PE Imperator Pavel I battleship
70222 Vyborg coast defense ship
70223 Marty minelayer TBA 2003
70224 Bayan II armoured cruiser
70225 Pallada II armoured cruiser
70226 Slava battleship (Borodino type) NEW
70227 Type D Submarine I Series (D-2) TBA February 2003
70228 Type L Submarine II Series (L-3) TBA February 2003
70229 Type K Submarine XIV Series(K-21) TBA February 2003
70230 Kerch Destroyer (Gajibey type) TBA March 2003
70298 Vainamoinen Coast defense ship (FIN)
70299 Ilmarinen coast defense ship (FIN)
70301 Moskva V/STOL cruiser Pr.1123
70302 Leningrad V/STOL cruiser Pr.1123
70303 Grozny missile cruiser Pr.58
70304 Varyag missile cruiser Pr.58
70305 Admiral Fokin cruiser Pr.58
70306 Soznatelny destroyer Pr.56A
70307 Bravy destroyer Pr.56K
70308 Plamenny destroyer Pr.56PLO
70309 Frunze light cruiser Pr.68K
70310 Chapaev light cruiser Pr.68K
70311 Sverdlov light cruiser Pr.68bis
70312 Zhdanov light cruiser Pr.68-U1