General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Operation: Warships of the Atlantic Conflict
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 02:24 PM UTC

............and enthusiastic pic posters too!
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 03:59 PM UTC
hehe - OK Tread... ;-)

See if you can find me some pics of the Konig... lol I have been searching in vain.

Perhaps you have a shot you would like to share :-)

I'm all excited for my first ship - so you'll have to bear with me... lol

Later-
Jeff
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 10:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah, I know, it's the Graph Zep....but I couldn't find any of the Peter Strasser.

Graf Zeppelin was actually completed to the 80+% point before work was finally stopped following the Battle of the Barents Sea. Peter Strasser (named after the commander of the WW1 German Zeppelin force commander) was laid down, but was cancelled and broken up before the engineering deck was welded in place when it became obvious that the ship would not be ready before war broke out. The same fate was to become the only "H" class battleship.
When I was doing research for a college history paper on the German carrier program, I had to order about a dozen books that were only available in their German editions. One picture in one of the books showed a battleship referenced as "Karl der Grosse". I don't think that this is a mistaken identification for one of the Hindenberg class battlecruisers or one of the super-dreadnoughts that were incomplete at the end of WW1 and were scrapped 1919-22. He was only completed up to the main deck, with the barbettes and part of first deck completed. It seems like the picture was stamped Vulkan Werke.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 02:26 AM UTC
Howdy jr,

I too have searched for the Konig, but have failed in my first atttempt. In fact, I was trying to post one of the Konig in my last little flury of pic posting......but no dice so far.
I'll keep looking.

Tread.

Who makes the kit again jr? Don't they have some box art?
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 02:48 AM UTC
Morning Tread, ICM makes the Konig. Also , They also make her sister ship, the Grosser Kurfurst. I have seen pic's of the Kurfurst on the net before, so you might do a search on that one. I'll help look to.

Cheers,
Garry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 02:55 AM UTC
Got it !!!

Tread.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 03:58 PM UTC
Hello Tread!
Good to see you found the Konig pic, and good to see you are back to posting pic's again!
Thats a good looking ship, be nice to build that one.

Garry
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 04:03 AM UTC
Good day mates! Has any one else desided what ship they are entering on the build ? We have 18 members so far for the March 20 kick off. I dont know about you, but I'm getting a itchie trigger finger here to start the fun !

Cheers,
Garry
Mahross
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 837 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 04:29 AM UTC
I'm definetly in. Probably a destroyer. The workhorse of the Atlantic Campaign.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 05:23 AM UTC
This is final, dad won't give up on his 35th sub. so I am torn between a 125th sub or the soon to be released 72nd one.... decisions.... #:-)
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 05:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Has any one else desided what ship they are entering on the build ?

The USS Portland. Actually it's the USS Indianapolis that a certain pal traded for me. Not naming any names but his initials are Garry Beebe. She fought in both oceans but served in the Atlantic at least long enough to bring my Dad home from Europe.

Quoted Text

I dont know about you, but I'm getting a itchie trigger finger here to start the fun.

I'm warming up by working on my Warspite. Dang those little props are a pain. I may have to switch to German ships, (shudder), because they only have three screws.
ARMDCAV
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 115 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 06:33 AM UTC
Do it in 3 months eh? Maybe the Olympia I have the pe set for it. NO? Already being done then right? NOT the Enterprise that's going to take longer than 3 months. Besides it has all those flying thingies on it. The Konig will take too long also. The darn thing doesn't just come in left and right pieces, it has left, side right side, back side and forward side pieces. I do have the Monogram LST. That's a ship right? OK then let me think. Got a 4 stacker tin can, WW1. Hmm been saving that till someone comes up with a pe set for it. Oh well why not? I'll just improvise. Four pipes and a flat deck. Sounds romantic somehow. Now where did I put my glasses? Pipe me aboard Tread. That'll be 4 flourishes with sideboys if you please.

And by the way that's Sgt armdcav. Not Lt. I was an NCO not an ocifer. I worked for a living.
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 07:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Got a 4 stacker tin can, WW1. Hmm been saving that till someone comes up with a pe set for it.

I was pretty sure Gold Medal Models did one for the Revell 4 Stacker so I went and looked--they do. Also found this article for ya:

Richard Eaton's Revell 4 Stacker

Richard's 4 Stacker:

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 07:51 AM UTC
Howdy Mahross!

Many thx for 'piping' in to this gathering of 'floaty' guys! I will have to remember to thank garrybeebe as well for knocking on your door for us all! Very happy to have you aboard. A Destroyer you say? Have you decided on an era? WW II? Modern? I also had my eye on that new 1/350th Winston Churchill (that's a Destroyer right? ). Let us know.
As I'm finding out, one of the really great things about this Build is the gobs of info being passed around. And speaking from an entirely 'noob' POV, I find both entirely supportive and thoroughly refreshing! :-)
Look forward to you input. And please share some of the options you're considering. There is a plethora of talented and learned members sharing in this Build. I would think their council would be 'priceless'.

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 08:05 AM UTC
Howdy SS-74

Sorry to hear your dad's grip is so tight! (He's probably older and slower than you, just create a diversion! ) Just kidding.
Hey...I'd just go with the 125th. That's pretty big as well. But which boat are you thinking of? I guess it really depends upon which Class of boat. I just found out recently (I told you I'd do my 'homework') that they make a 1/350th scale 'Halibut' , and the 'Seawolf' and the 'Grayback'. They even make the very cool 'Juliett' Class Russian boats, as well as the equally neat 'Whiskey' Class Soviet Subs.
(I just love those 'elevating' missle launcher's on the 'Juliett' Class!)

Can't wait to hear which you choose Dave!

Tread.

Oh, almost forgot. They also have the 1/72nd IJN 'Kairyu' Sub. Is that the one you're thinking of?
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 08:13 AM UTC
Another pic of the Portalnd....the last pic I think is gone.

If you look closely, the guy standing just under the forward gun tubes is HalfYank. That's why he 'fancys' the ship :-)......just kidding!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 08:25 AM UTC
Hooooooaaaahhhh! Sgt. ARMDCAV is aboard for the Build as well!!! Mighty glad :-)see? :-)to have you join us ARMDCAV! A 'four-stacker' huh? During my 'research', I found some great stuff out there! In fact my buddy down at Colpar was pointing out the 'four-stacker's' . Very cool choice!
Man...between the bunch of you guys, this is gonna be a blast!

My only small request from any of you is to share your 'in-progress' data with us all. Because we have some very talented members participating in this Build, as well as 'newbies' to ship modeling (myself included), and I think we are creating a superb recipe that will be enjoyable to us all!

Tread.

Does that make 18 or 19? Hooooaaaah!
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 08:38 AM UTC
Hi Guys-

I just found some cool shots of my subject for this build - I thought others might get a kick out of these :-)

Man- My kit and PE are in the mail, headed my way - and I can't wait to start...... March 20th??? geeze :-) lol I suppose ooogling over the instructions doesn't count as a start - does it? hehehe
German WW I Battleship Konig !!!

Later-
Jeff
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 01:05 PM UTC
Howdy jr,

Many thx for the shots of the Konig. I just love the first pic, very dramatic. The second photo is the one I first tried to post. Now, I have a question on the third photo....when those main deck guns fire, do the big corks just 'pop' out of there on a big string?........
Just pulling your leg jr!
Now the fourth one , I haven't seen.
Thx!

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 01:16 PM UTC

O.K., I started responding to thread posts earlier this afternoon. But I had to take care of a few things for my middle daughter. But I didn't want to forget to take the opportunity to say something about modelguy2. Short and simple, if you don't stop being so damn helpful (and I mean helpful), what with your superb reference's and obviously heart-felt helpful guidance. I'm just going to embarass you all to hell and start up a 'Fan's of modelguy2' Club!.......I'm serious!

Actually, I can't thank you enough for your continued support of us fellow ship modeler's! It's always a very good thing to experience the actual practice of comaraderie.

Thx Mike!

Tread.
Yellow013
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 35 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 01:39 PM UTC
I want to build a HMS Prince of Wales. Does this mean that I can't do the multi-colored scheme, because it was used in the Pacific.

count me in.

P.S. I'll try my hardest to finish but that might not be possible because of school but what the heck
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 01:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

O.K., I started responding to thread posts earlier this afternoon. But I had to take care of a few things for my middle daughter. But I didn't want to forget to take the opportunity to say something about modelguy2. Short and simple, if you don't stop being so damn helpful (and I mean helpful), what with your superb reference's and obviously heart-felt helpful guidance. I'm just going to embarass you all to hell and start up a 'Fan's of modelguy2' Club!.......I'm serious!

Actually, I can't thank you enough for your continued support of us fellow ship modeler's! It's always a very good thing to experience the actual practice of comaraderie.

Thx Mike!

Tread.

I agree totaly Tread ! Mike has been and is an asset to our little fleet here !

Cheers,

Garry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 04:04 PM UTC
Howdy Yellow,

Let me be the first to shout out a warm, hearty Welcome!! So very glad to 'pipe' you aboard this ever expanding crew of 'swabbies'! Because when the ship's horn blow's 'General Quarter's'!, and the Build begins, we'll want as many crewman on deck as we can get! :-)
So, your planning on a Royal Navy ship huh? Sound's great. The Prince of Wales is a grand ship! What scale do you intend to build it in? As to your choice of hull colourings........hmmmmmm, I am going to have to ask for the assistance of my fine crewmembers on that one. Was there indeed a particular hull colour for the time the Prince spent in the waters of the Atlantic??
I'm curious.
Either way Yellow, we'll get it figured out. Important thing is, glad to have you on the duty roster!

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 04:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

"... I agree totaly Tread ! Mike has been and is an asset to our little fleet here !..."

Indeed Garry, as are you.
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 04:56 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys, but I Can't just sit bye and watch as you Aircraft and armor guys flounder in warship waters. I realise if you had to find a Black Box cockpit or individual link tracks you could do it in a snap but, ship parts and photos? Well I've been there already so.....

The prince of wales was in overall gray in the atlantic and in an admiralty disruptive scheme in the pacific. Surely though she might have been painted in Britain prior to going to the Pacific. I vote that any camo scheme is fair game. Here's an airplane and a tank of mine for you guys to check out.....sorry for the OT photos