General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Operation: Warships of the Atlantic Conflict
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 12:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Queen Mary....believe it or not, I traveled on the original Queen when I was a lad! I suppose that 'dates' me huh? I know it was used as a troop ship, just didn't know what the colouring was.

I was at the other end of her career. My Dad and I watched from on top Signal Hill in Long Beach on the day the Queen Mary sailed into Long Beach. It was a very foggy day and we didn't see much until dimly we could see three stacks rising out of the fog. That was all but it was enough. Later I got to see her in dry dock. I've been on her many times since then now that she's docked as a museum and hotel. Great old girl.

BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 01:28 AM UTC
Are we keeping any of the guidelines from "sister ships"? I was thinking of building the Peter Strasser with a reinforced bow and added forward hull armor for operations in the North Sea. If not then I suppose I could do the same with Graf Zeppelin as a refit (German Capitol ships had a nasty habit during WW2 of shedding their heads and tails---kind of like some crazy double ended salamander!).
What about projected airwing, since he never flew-off a plane or helo or made a trap of same? Would navalized '44-'45 Luftwaffe aircraft and Fa223 helicopters be pushing things to far out into the realm of "Kreigsmarine '46"? I could come up with some interesting combinations if I can get a go and get ahold of some WEM 1/700 packs in time. #:-)
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 02:17 AM UTC
Morning Bluebear, I dont sea a problem with the Graf Zeppelin. It would be an interesting choice! About the airwing for the ship, I know of one plane that was developed or modified for carrier operations, I would think for the GZ. That is the Messerschmitt BF 109-T-1
/T-2. I have a model kit of this one in 1/48. I dont know of any others though. But on this a little imagination would be ok ! Good, wecome aboard then ! Glad to have you on the team mate!

Cheers,
Garry
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 02:56 AM UTC
Hi there,

Bf 109 T-1's, Ju 87 C-1's and one other type that slips my mind right now were to be in the original 1942-43 airwing. When work commenced in 1943, before Adolph decided to scrap the Fleet, several front-line Luftwaffe aircraft were considered in Navalized form to outfit the Graf Zeppelin with. For fighters, Fw-190F's with their wider track undercarriage, and for torpedo/ attack, Ju 87D's. Heavier aircraft could be launched with early JATO packs underneath. Single seat Flettner helicopters were experimented with aboard German cruisers serving in the Baltic, and Focke-Aegelis (sp) 223's were in squadron service, beating out the Sikorski for first in service, and could have been used for VERTREP and plane guard duties flying off of a carrier deck when weather allowed.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 02:58 AM UTC
Holy Batman! Mike,

That's quite a list! Hope you didn't get 'typers cramp' from jotting all of those down.
Many thx for the efforts. I am definitely going to be checking out those 1/350th Russian ships!

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 03:15 AM UTC
Howdy bluebear,

I like the way you think! A little creativity is right up my alley. And as Garry has already said, welcome to the team! My only input is that the creativity side of the Build, and it's only limitation really, is that the ship had to exist in reality. Now, what that means is no 'flights of fantasy' (pardon the pun). As you state, they in fact existed on paper, but were never deployed. I suppose we can allow that stretch. It would be like not allowing someone in a German Armour Build to construct an E-100, or a Maus! They were obviously never deployed, but the did exist, right?

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 03:18 AM UTC

Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhh............nice new Banner HalfYank!! Now I'm really jealous!
Very bold, nicely balanced, with just a hint of patriotism.
Love it!

Tread.
MadMeex
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 424 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 03:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

O.K......someone needs to build a Hunley!.......seriously.

That's what I'll be building. I looked over the resin of the kit this morning, and got pretty jazzed about it. The construction is obviously not a challenge (though I almost planned on removing the ballast as 'excess resin' till I looked at the photos more carefully), but the painting will be an exercise with an airbrush to get the iron to look convincing.

I look forward to the challenge.

Mika
MadMeex
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 424 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 03:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gonna do the German WW I battleship Konig... by ICM... hehe

Just ordered it along with the white ensign models PE set....

I've got the same kit, monster box, lotsa air enclosed...

I'll be interested in seeing how your build progresses. No offense, but you're my guinea pig on this one!

Garrybeebe, you can pick it up from Alanger on ebay, for about 25USD.

Mika
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 03:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhh............nice new Banner HalfYank!! Now I'm really jealous!
Very bold, nicely balanced, with just a hint of patriotism.
Love it!

Tread.

I agree Tread, I was going to comment on Rodgers banner also. Very nice touch there Rodger ! Nuttin like Koowell graphics!

Impressed,
Garry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 03:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

O.K......someone needs to build a Hunley!.......seriously.

That's what I'll be building. I looked over the resin of the kit this morning, and got pretty jazzed about it. The construction is obviously not a challenge (though I almost planned on removing the ballast as 'excess resin' till I looked at the photos more carefully), but the painting will be an exercise with an airbrush to get the iron to look convincing.

I look forward to the challenge.

Mika

Excellent!!! Can't wait to see the pics. And as you said, the painting is going to be the challenge on that one! But I don't doubt you're up to it. :-)

Cool. Now we have a ship, oops, boat, that dates back to the 19th Century! Neat. You just might have the 'oldest' boat in the Build there MadMeex!
Good on ya mate!

Tread.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 04:04 AM UTC
Since two people have noticed and commented on my banner I would like to point out that I did NOT do it myself. Kencelot did it for me, unasked. See my post on Site Talk to see what I think of some gentlemen on Armorama.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Model Shipwrights: 58 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 04:56 AM UTC
If anyone is interested in Russian warships, go to Modelwarships.com for some llinks to mantufacturers and reviews of those kits.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 06:22 AM UTC
Here's the 'Boyarin' Russian Cruiser

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 06:22 AM UTC
And the 'Novik'...

Tread.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Model Shipwrights: 58 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 09:05 AM UTC
As stated elswhere in this forum, "A picture-posting monster has been created!!" Now I am going to have to learn how to do it. Luckily, I have a 20 yr old son that can teach me.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 09:58 AM UTC

hehehehehehe.......... :-) :-)
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 11:43 AM UTC
Hi Guys-

Just ordered my Konig WW I battleship, along with the Toms PE set. This is gonna be too much fun for me to have :-)

Later-
Jeff
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 11:50 AM UTC
Hey Jeff,

As the country song lyrics go....."There's no such thing as having too...much...fun!"

Tread.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 03:03 PM UTC
some sneaky project been going on.

garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 03:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi

I'm in for the campaign...got a 1/400 Admiral Scheer lined up.

Howdy Leader, I see you are going to build the Heller 1/400 Admiral Sheer. Thats awesome, I am going to build the Heller 1/400 Lutzow. We could help each other out with references and what not! Welcome to the build mate!

Cheers,
Garry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 05:42 AM UTC
Howdy fellas,

O.K., I just thought I'd jot down a quick up-dated list of participant's and hopeful's

Here she is, in no particular order:

1) Ranger 74 ( tentitively SSBN-734 Tennessee )
2) sphyrna ( a 'hopeful')
3) SonOfAVet ( U.S.S. Olympia )
4) bluebear ( tentitively Peter Strasser )
5) warlock322 ( a 'hopeful' )
6) scunge ( King George V or Bismark )
7) mahross ( a 'hopeful' )
8) SS-74 ( tentitively a U-Boat )
9) leader ( 1/400 Admiral Scheer )
10) MadMeex ( Hunley )
11) jrnelson ( 1/350 WW I Konig BB by ICM )
12) WeWillHold ( WW II Frieghter or Oiler )
13) modelguy2 ( 1/350 Prince of Wales or the Sheffield )
14) Porckchop ( 1/35th U-Boat Conning Tower by Andrea)
15) garrybeebe ( 1/400 Lutzow by DKM )
16) HalfYank ( tentively the Portland )
17) TreadHead ( tentitively the Bismark......but still undecided)

So that's it so far. Please feel free to correct my list if I have noted something in error. The Build is still actively looking for members with the courgae to tackle something new, so please don't be afraid to 'pipe' in and ask the group questions even if you're just 'fishing' around. We won't bite. (pardon the double pun)

Tread.
leader
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 110 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 05:56 AM UTC
Hey Garry

Yup thats the 1/400 Scheer from Heller. I'm thinking of adding the Toms PE, but havent decided on that yet. Its going to be great to share info, references and techniques with everyone.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 06:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Garry

Yup thats the 1/400 Scheer from Heller. I'm thinking of adding the Toms PE, but havent decided on that yet. Its going to be great to share info, references and techniques with everyone.

Hello Leader,
I know I am going to use Toms 1/400 railing, just happen to have a set here already. By the way, do you know what paint scheme you are going to use on your Sheer ? I have drawings of all of her scheme's if you need them. The Sheer had all the best looking Dazzle camo jobs! I built the Admiral Sheer about 8 years ago, it was my favorite model. A striking looking ship!

Regards,
Garry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 07:38 AM UTC
The Admiral Scheer

Before the War.