General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Operation: Warships of the Atlantic Conflict
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 04:58 PM UTC
Prince of Wales wore a couple of different paint schemes in her short life. During the Battle of the Denmark Straits, when the Bismarck and Prinz Eugen sunk the Hood, she was still in Home Fleet grays. The tropical snake camouflage whe wore when she went down with the Repulse in December 1941 was applied before she arrived in Singapore, possibly at Tricomalee, Ceylon. The Tamiya 1/700 has port and starboard drawings of the snake camouflage, I don't know about the 1/350.
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 05:27 PM UTC
POW Was indeed painted in Britain in summer of '41 see:

POW Newfoundland August '41--note camouflage!

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 03:39 AM UTC

See what I mean guys...... :-) Thx modelguy2! There ya go Yellow013, ya got your choice of camo confirmed. You can do the POW in the 'snake' camo pattern. Actually, that sounds very cool! So am I to understand that this 'snake' camo paint job was multi coloured? What was the colour combination? Did someone mention yellows? Hmmmm, maybe that's why Yellow013 is choosing her.

Tread.
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 03:58 AM UTC
Attack Force Z survivors website :-)

SyeelNavy messageboard-POW colors
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 04:43 AM UTC
Thx again Mike. Below is a photo of the POW from the link you provided that I believe is sporting the camo in question.

hth.

Tread.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 04:55 AM UTC
Now thats a good drawing of the POW ! I had a hard time finding port and starboard drawings of the DKM Tirpitz when I built her. Only by asking online did I finely find the drawings that I needed. And I have them if anyone needs them. (at the time she was lost)
It realy pays to investigate your projects! Before I built the Tirpitz, I along with lots of other modelers thought that both sides were the same. The Tamiya 1/350 kit dont let you know any different! I have seen a lot of model Tirpitz with the same camo pattern on both sides.
Thanks to sites and people like Mike , we can build an accurate model. The key thing when you buy a kit, dont take the models instructions for granit. They are a good starting point, besides, its fun to learn all you can about your model you are building.

Cheers ,

Garry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 04:58 AM UTC
Speaking of looking around...I found another picture of a built-up Konig......really nice example.
Does anybody here recognize this fine example of ship building?....hmmmmm?

Tread.
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 06:13 AM UTC
Looks kinda familiar?
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 06:36 AM UTC
That is perhaps the worst ship model I have ever seen.....Oh hi modelguy2, how you doing....???

Teach me o mighty zen master of models!
Yellow013
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 35 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 10:06 AM UTC
Thanks, I'll have to decide what Scheme I wan't to paint her in. I would like to the snake scheme, but it's got to be complicated. Any tips on how to paint such intricate scheme
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 02:42 PM UTC
That all depends Yellow013, if you are an airbrusher or a hand brushist. I hand paint all my model ships and armor, so I will leave airbrush advise for those in the know!
I generaly mask off the strait lines and free hand the curves. The drawing you use should match the detail on your model. Useing the detail as reference marks to connect lines and colors . such as port holes or moldings on the deck or superstructure, just look at your drawing and match it with your model. Have I lost you yet? If you make a mistake, its easy to correct by useing the other color boardering it. The main thing is just take your time and paint small area's in sections. It will turn out fine.

HTH,

Garry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 03:00 PM UTC
Howdy Yellow013,

To be perfectly honest, my personal method would be to blow up a schematic just like the one modelguy2 just supplied us. But, since our good member Mike supplied us an 'online' version of a printed version of said schematic (in spades)....I would simply pull up Mike's line drawings on my computer monitor, take out my Iwata airbrush, and simply freehand the entire thing! Don't be dissuaded Yellow, it looks much harder than it is. If you work from light to dark, you even have a 'fudge' factor working for you.

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 03:03 PM UTC

Hey, modelguy2....I was really getting into that WW I biplane, right up until the 'lavender' thing............. #:-)

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 03:29 PM UTC

I like the way this deck looks.....

Is that done with the same method you spoke of modelguy2?

Tread.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 03:43 PM UTC
That one there Tread is individual wood planking! you can buy 1/350 lumber and plank your own model. A couple of my friends do this, they say its easy. But uh uh! nodda I aint going there ! Course those friends are still working on the same model they started 3 years ago!

Garry
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 04:29 PM UTC
holy mother of .....
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 12:57 PM UTC
Howdy Garry,

Really? Humphf!, I've done that with my sailing ships, but they were a wee bit different scale, and a bit different deck layout. So, there are madmen who lay individual deck boards in 1/350th scale as well huh? Are there any multi-dimensionally insane buggers that do it in 1/700th!?!
Just for the record, I loaned my personal Electron Microscope to the local College. So, unfortunately fellas, I'm going to have to limit my sub-electron modeling work alone for now.....hope that's alright?

Tread.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 01:20 PM UTC
LOL! LMHO! Yep Tread, I am out of Electron Microscopes to! Did you say 1/700? Huh?
Once again go to my selected link, click it. when you get to the Model Fleet site, find modeling tips. There is a article there on how to apply wood planking.

HTH,

Garry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 02:10 PM UTC
Howdy Garry,

sorry, just tried your 'selected link'....no dice. Didn't work. Maybe they're having some bandwidth probs....

Tread.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Model Shipwrights: 58 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 02:45 PM UTC
Vaarry Interesting!!! He uses HO scale 1"x3" basswood strips cut 1 cm long. I might try it on my 1/350 Arizona by Banner, but I don't think I want to risk by resin 1/350 Tennessee.
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 04:02 PM UTC
OK Gents: I have changed my mind on my entry... I wish if i can to build the South Dakota for the Atlantic Build. She was attached to the Atlantic fleet in 47.
Would that count????? If not it ok I can come up with some other plan. Reason is The Silent Sisters was Approves and Official and I was going to save Big Mamie for that...

Paul
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2004 - 02:51 AM UTC
Howdy warlock,

I don't see a problem with that. I'll make the change on my participant list.

Speaking of lists. I have been thinking about this for a few days now, and thought I'd run it by everybody for a Vote. Since it seems everybody's pretty much made their choice's of what their entry is going to be in the 'Warship's of the Atlantic' Build. And my original 'Start' date was loosely based on the first day of Spring, and everybody is chomping at the bit to get started.....How would you guys feel about moving the 'Start' date up a wee bit, to say March 1st?? Kinda seems a bit silly to wait , just to wait. I mean, this decision is completely up to us, So?
Would that still give everybody enough time ti get ready, and keep the momentum peaked?

I will leave the decision to a group vote by all of you, to see how everybody feels about it. So, if you would, please post your feelings about the change either way!

Thanks in advance fellas!!

Tread.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2004 - 03:26 AM UTC
Hello Tread, March 1st sounds fine by me !

Garry
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2004 - 07:12 AM UTC
hey Tread thanks for the switch...
March 1 sounds fine to me too, but it also sounds like maybe just maybe you been doing some bit chomping yourself????? #:-)

Paul
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Model Shipwrights: 58 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2004 - 08:44 AM UTC
TH - I need to stick to March 20 I have a Big Boy Locomotive to complete for my Dad. If the vote goes to March 1, so be it