General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Operation: Warships of the Atlantic Conflict
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 03:38 PM UTC
Howdy All,

In an effort to get the "ball rolling" on the first of hopefully, many Warship Forum based Group Builds and Campaigns for 2004. I would like to announce the official solicitation for participation in "Operation: ' Warships of the Atlantic Conflict' Group Build "!!
The Group Build itself will be structured very much like a standard Campaign. In that, there will be a structured Start/End date, a 'Theatre' of operations (the Atlantic), and a fully supported Build calender. Meaning, that we will have a wonderful recipe of both highly experienced ship modeler's participating, as well as 'newbies' building ships that will pay homage to both the veterans that served on those chosen ships, and the honoured ships themselves.

Here are the particulars:

A) Name of the Group Build: 'Warships of the Atlantic Conflict'

B) Start / End dates: Start date: March 20, 2004. End date: June 10, 2004.

C) Modeling parameters: Any ship. Any era. Any scale. Any construction method.
The only 'limiting' parameter here is the ATLANTIC Conflict. Meaning, if you want to build the Civil War era 'Hunley', that would technically qualify as an entry, and would be welcomed along with every other ship that participated in a conflict that occured in the Atlantic Ocean region.
All construction methods will be embraced, including OOB, AM material's, PE inclusion, etc, etc. The only limit, in terms of construction, is that the entered ship kit must have genuinely existed, and participated in an Atlantic Ocean region based conflict.
This will include all 'Sister' ships, Capital ships, Pre and Post Dreadnaught's, Carriers, etc, etc.

Existing list of participating Member's:
(in no particular order)

1) Ranger 74
2) sphyrna
3) warlock322
4) SonOfAVet
5) bluebear
6) scunge
7) mahross
8) HalfYank
9) garrybeebe
10) TreadHead

The above list is based upon an earlier tally of members previously interested in participating in the 'Unsung Sister's' Group Build. If any of the above members feel otherwise about their participation in this Warship Group Build, please PM me and let me know. Likewise, any new members who wish to either add another warship to their stable of completed kits, or who want to expand their modeling talents beyond the usual, please also PM me as well as letting us know on this thread.

Many thanks go to all, and here's hoping we can generate some real interest in the 'Warship' side of the site!!

Warm Regards,

Tread.

SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 03:46 PM UTC
Man! This is awesome idea, I am in. I wanna do an U-Boat for so long, maybe I will get my dad to give me the 1/35th Uboat that he is saving for his retirement years. LOL.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 03:54 PM UTC
Works for me. I've glued together the two halfs of the hull of my Warspite, too late on that one I guess. I might use it for practice and get another ship for the campaign. Maybe the Indianapolis as the Portland like I planned for the Unsung Sisters.

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 03:57 PM UTC
Howdy SS-74!

"twwwwweeeeeeeeeeee!!!!" You are hereby 'piped' aboard Sir! And a warm welcome to you. :-)
So, a Sub huh? I love the idea! I have also been wanting to tackle a Sub, but have promised my sanity that the challenge would come from building something called a "BB"?
Glad to have you with us. If your father won't give you his U-boat, don't let that stop you!
Look forward to watching your progress.

Tread.

That makes 11.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 04:00 PM UTC

Hey HalfYank...you only have the two hull halves glued? I don't think we need to be too 'A' type about this. Enter your Warspite, you've been dying to build the thing!
Or.....you can always build two! :-)

Tread.
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 04:10 PM UTC
hmmm sounds like plan...I have my Bismarck...so tempid....or I have A U-Boat as well or the Uss Olympia? Was that in the Atlantic? Or Pacific or other? I am definately in on this one...just have to decide which ship now.... #:-)

Sean
leader
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 04:16 PM UTC
Hi

I'm in for the campaign...got a 1/400 Admiral Scheer lined up.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 04:21 PM UTC
SonOfaVet, check this out on the Olympia. http://www.hazegray.org/danfs/cruisers/c6.txt" TARGET="_blank"> http://www.hazegray.org/danfs/cruisers/c6.txt She FOUGHT in the Pacific, but she served in the Atlantic and is in Maryland now, off the Atlantic. So I think you could do her. That would be an interesting ship.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 04:25 PM UTC
Sounds great Tread ! This is going to be a fun and interesting build, with all the variety and interesting subjects possible. Lets see now, I have a 1/350 Missouri, 1/400 graf spee, Lutzow, and Admiral Sheer. A 1/400 CA Gorzillia Italian navy, a 1/144 USS Lionfish sub, Hmmm, gotta make a choice here!

Sounds like a good time guys!

Cheers mates,
Garry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 04:28 PM UTC
Howdy SonOfAVet!

Mighty glad to get you confirmed :-) Any of those ships would work, since, thanks to one of my cohort's in this endeavor HalfYank, we now know that the Olympia served in the Atlantic theatre!
Thx for the hand HalfYank!

Tread. :-)
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 04:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Works for me. I've glued together the two halfs of the hull of my Warspite, too late on that one I guess. I might use it for practice and get another ship for the campaign. Maybe the Indianapolis as the Portland like I planned for the Unsung Sisters.

Howdy Rodger,
Hey if you want to build the Indianapolis, I've got one for cheep for you. Its the Tamiya 1/700 kit. I'm not building in that scale anymore. If your interested just PM me.

Cheers,
Garry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 04:39 PM UTC
Howdy leader!

First, allow me to wish you a very warm welcome to Operation: Warships of the Atlantic Conflict! Your participation is greatly appreciated. I don't know if you are an experienced ship builder or not, but we aim to have fun and enjoy ourselves. I think we will have quite an assortment of different talents levels involved in the Build, which is a very good thing.
I for one, intend to grow my modeling talents by leaps and bounds, as well as my Warship knowledge (my compatriot's will see to that! ).
Again, great to have you aboard! Please don't be shy about questions, opinions, reference needs, or anything else mate. We're all here to share and enjoy the hobby!

Tread.

That makes 12.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 04:44 PM UTC
Howdy Garry,

Also great to have your 'official' confirmation, but being one of my 'cohorts' in this endeavor I was counting on you!
Now there's no going back!

So, now that this thing is starting, you can't make up your mind either!?! Garry, garry,garry....

Just pulling your hairy leg Gar...
Build anything you like, the only requirement in this Build is that you share your work with all of us....that's all.

Tread.

So, are you glad this thing is finally starting?
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 04:48 PM UTC
O.K. I'm in. Subject? Some Bismarck chase ship, either the Prince of Whales or the Sheffield in 1/350.................Mike
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 05:03 PM UTC
ok Tread,
Thanks to the info from HY I'll throw my hat into the ring with the USS Olympia.

Sean
leader
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 07:01 PM UTC
Hey Tread

Thanks for the warm welcome. This will be my first ship, and you can bet I'l have a lot of questions. Look forward to it.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 03:13 AM UTC
Howdy SonOfAVet,

Glad you chose the Olympia. That should be an interesting build! Just make sure to share pics with us all.

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 03:18 AM UTC
Holy Mackeral!

Mike Taylor (modelguy2) is joining the Build!! :-) :-) :-) Can't tell you how happy I am that you decided to join us Mike! I think it would be safe to say that we all will benefit from your involvement. Since I count myself amoung the ranks of the 'newbies' in regards to modern ship modeling, and, I know you are a busy guy, I promise to try not to overwhelm you as well as everyone else with my modeling queries.
(Just remember, I said "try" )
A grateful welcome aboard modelguy2!!

Tread.

That makes 13.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 03:36 AM UTC

Hey leader, it's gonna be fun! It'll be a 'first' for me as well. As I have said before (in another thread), I used to build sailing ships in my youth. But modern 'steel' ships will be a nice new experience for me. And, as has been said to me, there's a chance it'll "ruin" me!
I'll go back to armour modeling for a rest. (hehe).

Personally, I don't have the courage (read, eyes) to build in 1/700th like our good member HalfYank does. For me it will have to be 1/350th or larger.
And please don't worry yourself about having too many questions, because that's what it's all about. Supporting the hobby, advancing your modeling skills, and hopefully butressing the Warship side of the site.

Tread.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 03:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey HalfYank...you only have the two hull halves glued? I don't think we need to be too 'A' type about this. Enter your Warspite, you've been dying to build the thing!

WHAT, and deprive me of a ready made excuse to build TWO ships? Not on your life. I'll abide by the rules and build the Warspite as practice. (Now do you want me to hold a gun to your head to 'force' you to build two also?) :-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 03:47 AM UTC

Hey HalfYank, I'm quaking in my Ked's about building my ONE Battleship! Although I think I'll be adding a Sub at the very least, simply because I've been dying to do one for awhile.
But wait, didn't SS-74, SonOfAVet and Garry just say they might be doing a Sub as well?
Man, I don't know. Heavy competition there. Actually, I'm really surprised that some of you guys are considering building a sub. I'm glad, but pleasantly surprised.
I think it's a great idea.

Tread.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Model Shipwrights: 58 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 04:27 AM UTC
Whew!!!! Just checked references on the internet. USS Tennessee, SSBN-734, is stationed out of Kings Bay, GA and operates with the Atlantic Fleet. Almost had to change to the CSS Hunley. The Tennessee kit is injected plastic, while the Hunley is a resin kit. I don't feel like tackling a resin kit while I have some other resin kits already on the work bench.

Jeff
MadMeex
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 424 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 05:45 AM UTC
I'm - couple of options have been lined up, and are waiting for the right moment to be kicked off...

* 1/700 Liberty Ship
* 54mm Hunley

Just need to decided which to do.

Mika
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 07:47 AM UTC
I was considering a sub TH but when I saw that alot of people were also thinking that I thought I would try to mix things up with the Olympia. However on second thought, it would be helpful to have a few people doing a simliar boat(ie sub) to bounce ideas off of and a lil competion is always fun

Hmmm what to do what to do.....I might just stick with my first choice though

Sean
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 10:06 AM UTC
Awesome....hmmmm King George V or Bismarck. I want to build the Bismarck, but when I do it I want to do it right, and this will be my first battleship. Though one.

When is this party gonna start?