General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Operation: Warships of the Atlantic Conflict
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2004 - 05:25 PM UTC
Im probably gonna do a good old fassioned 1/350 Bismarck.

As for starting March 1st, sounds god to me.
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 05:09 AM UTC
ooohhh - March 1st is excellent!

My Konig and PE will be here Monday - and I am really amped to get started :-)

Later-
Jeff
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 05:55 AM UTC
Howdy All,

O.K........we've obviously had some 'new developements' on the Warship side of the site. As you may or may not know, our good member HalfYank set the wheels in motion some time back to try to get a Warship Campaign going. Because of reasons I would suspect that included rather ' full plates' on the part of the decision makers on the site, the status of 'Campaign' was not forthcoming at the time. So, both HalfYank and I colaborated on the idea of a Warship 'Group Build' instead.....hence, the 'Warships of the Atlantic' Group Build.
The main reason for the start of the Group Build itself was to simply generate excitement on the Warship side of the site, and create a unified modeling participation.
I think we've done just that!
Now. The issue of whether it's a Campaign, or a Group Build makes no nevermind to me. But, if it does make a difference to the good members who have thrown their hat into the ring to build a ship for this upcoming Group Build, then I understand.
Since two simultaneous Warship builds might be too daunting for some. Allow me to offer this suggestion; Combine the two together. Or more accurately, allow the 'Unsung Sisters' Campaign to absorb the participant list of the ' Warships of the Atlantic' Group Build. Since (I assume) that most of the members currently involved in the '..Atlantic' GB, would also consider being involved in the '...Sister's' Campaign!

HalfYank had done a considerable amount of work to try to put 'legs' on the 'Sister's' Campaign. The 'Atlantic' GB was simply an effort to streamline those efforts, and create a vehicle that the Warship guys could rally around. I would be remise if I did anything to 'divide' those efforts. :-)

Tell me what you think guys.
If you want to run both, or if you've already made kit/PE commitments, I'm completely fine with whatever you guys decide. I'm here for you!
......the more the merrier! :-)

Tread.

warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 06:56 AM UTC
Tread:
I planned for two separate builds from the get go... Makes No differance to me either way.. I am with you guys til the bitter end.. Whatever the majority adn you and Rodger decide to do I perfectly fine on my end. by looking at the thread generating interest is and understatement. I wouldn't do anything to undercut what you and the otheres have built here..
Give this Former Marine the marching orders and it will be done.

Paul
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 11:03 AM UTC
HI Guys-

I'm in either way as well. I must say - the "sister ship" campaign sounds fun too!

The way I figure it..... I was torn between the Konig and Tirpitz for the Atlatic group build.... Now I can do em BOTH... lol geez.... You guys are turning a tank guy into a swabbie..... hahaha

Later-
Jeff
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 11:17 AM UTC
I can do my U-bot tower as U-100, the sister of U-99 (well, I'd actually have to check on what type U-100 is)
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 03:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I can do my U-bot tower as U-100, the sister of U-99 (well, I'd actually have to check on what type U-100 is)

Good morning Porkchop, I think either way would be just fine. You could enter either build!

Garry
MadMeex
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 424 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 05:05 AM UTC
Porkchop,

The U99 and U100 were both Type VIIB boats (refit into / from VIIC).

Both were sunk in the Atlantic in 1941.

Considering they were in the same build batch, without a very long career, my guess would be that the conning towers would be identical.

Also see U99 and U100 for a comprehesive history of the two.

Hope this helps,
Mika
MadMeex
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 424 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 05:08 AM UTC
Since the Hunley didn't have a sister, unsung or not, I suppose I'll have to build solo if the GB's merge...

Mika
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 10:01 AM UTC
So do you want use to offically enlist with the "Sister" campaign or keep these things apart for right now?
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 02:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I like the way this deck looks.....

Is that done with the same method you spoke of modelguy2?

Tread.

Holy baby buggy bumpers, Batman! #:-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 04:04 AM UTC
Howdy Fellas,

O.K. then....the 'bosses' have spoken (meaning you guys ). The 'Warships of the Atlantic' Group Build will continue as originally planned. As will the 'Unsung Sisters' Campaign.
The only change will be the 'Start' date of the ' WOA' GB. Since the 'Start' date is not as important as the ' Finish' date, and since a good number of members have expressed desire to embrace the earlier start time (myself included, since I'm going to need all the time I can get! ), a new, earlier 'Start' date of March 1st will be instituted. So, those of you who can't make the March 1st start date, that's O.K. Just start whenever you can squeeze it in. Just pay attention to the 'Finish' date, since that is not changing. Maybe you can learn from some of our mistakes in those 20 days.......

Oh, one more thing. I HAVE already made up a ribbon to commemorate the participation in the 'Warships of the Atlantic' Group Build, and that ribbon will be awarded to everyone who successfully complete's the Build, and submit's at least a final photograph of the completed project by the ' Finish' date!!
Sound good?.........Good!

And, for the record, I intend to enter something in the 'Unsung Sisters' Campaign as well! As if I don't already have enough on the modeling desk as it is, you guys are really keeping my hands busy with the 'floaty' things! :-)

Thanks go out to all of you for your continued support of the Warship side of the site!!!

Tread.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 04:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And, for the record, I intend to enter something in the 'Unsung Sisters' Campaign as well!

So why don't you get your butt over to the Campaigns section and sign up for the campaign? :-)

I'm glad the start date has moved up, I can't wait to do more than glue the halves of the Warspite hull together. Since we've not go the two things going, Warships of the Atlantic group build and Unsung Sisters Campaign I'll do Warspite for the Atlantic group build, and the USS Portland as the unsung sister of the Indianapolis.
warlock0322
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 09:05 AM UTC
Orders received loud and clear Tread. Situation well in hand.. Operations are on target..

Seriously though you are right about the dates. It really doesn't matter when you start it matters when you finish..
Sounds great, kits are due in this Thursday afternoon.. Then let the Micro surgery begin..

Paul
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 09:09 AM UTC
Too bad I started on my 1/72 scale LCM last night. It would have qualified for both the D-Day Overlord 2004 build and this one as well. May be if I get the D-Day kits done in time...
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 04:09 PM UTC

Oooooohhohhohhohhohhohhohh NO you don't !!!! You're not getting away that easily my good friend! Please tell me I'm hearing this correctly, the Honourable and Venerable, 'General of the Army', Five-Star holder, Armorama 'Core' member is requesting to participate in our wee Warship Group Build 'Warships of the Atlantic'???

Let me tell you this Rob. If YOU wish to enter your LCM in our Group Build and help support both the Warship side of the site, and the bunch of fine lads we've been able to assemble here. Then I think I speak for the entire Group when I say

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) WELCOME ABOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

...............any dissenters in the crowd?

None. Good!

Tread.

Rob?
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 03:55 AM UTC
Not me Tread, your in! Welcome aboard Sabot Now you can build in stereo.

Garry
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Model Shipwrights: 58 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 05:50 AM UTC
That's OK, SABOT! I have already opened my Dragon USS Ohio kit and dry fitted the hull halves, though I have not trimmed the sprue stubs

The guys with all the stars must set the proper example for the rest of us!!
warlock0322
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 07:31 AM UTC
I echo the previous posts. Welcome Aboard Rob. I could be mistaken, but didn't someone who is building a Warspite already glue the hull halves togather already . Quick someone whlie he is in the room slam the door and dive infront of it and don't let him out!!!!!

Seriously though it would be great for you to join us Rob. We have darn near everykind of ship in this build except an LCM. Yours would round this build off to darn near a complete set of every type of ship built...... Hope you change your mind and decide to stay.

Paul
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 08:19 AM UTC
Sounds Good to me, March 1st it is for the GB. Now I just have to decide on what ship I want to do for the "unsung Sisters" any suggestions for a poor college student? #:-) I was thinking of the Tripitz, but I like to mix things up since somebody already is doing that ship...not to mention I've started on my Bismarck...so a Bis and a Trip together would be KM overkill!!!

Sean
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 08:26 AM UTC
You might try the NJ as the sister to the Mighty Mo which I might be doing as well. You could do a Musashi or f fletcher with a hull number other than 445.
warlock0322
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 08:41 AM UTC
Hasegawa has put out a line of affordable 1/700 BB's depending on what you want to do.. They have IJN Ships and lots of US BB in the series like:
USS NorthCarolina. with her sister the Washington
USS Missouri and New Jersey and the Iowa I believe
USS South Dakota and Alabama.
Plus a Tirpitz if I am not mistaken
All these kits run from about 13 to 16 USD
or you could go even cheaper and do a 1/720 ship They are older molds and not up to todays molding standards, but cost maybe 7-10 USD
Just something I thought I'd throw out there to ya to get the ideas flowing

Paul
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 08:55 AM UTC
Hmmm good ideas guys...I think I may be leaning toward a USN ship...so the fletcher class 445 ship was a famous one huh? I have been thinking about doing this kit as well, I have heard alot of good about the fletcher class...

Sean
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 10:43 AM UTC
well 445 was the fletcher itself, short of that, I dont think there were any famous ones. I just built one, It is a good kit with good detail and all that jazz. Its a fun build.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 03:01 AM UTC
If I am not mistaken, was'nt the USS Kid the class leader of the Fletchers ?
Any other Destroyer in that class would be fine.

Garry