General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Operation: Warships of the Atlantic Conflict
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 08:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

well 445 was the fletcher itself, short of that, I dont think there were any famous ones. I just built one, It is a good kit with good detail and all that jazz. Its a fun build

[quote]Any other Destroyer in that class would be fine[/qipte]

The Fletchers were the work horse of the USN. They went everywhere and did everything. I am pretty sure that at least two of the cans at the Battle of Guadalcanal, Nov 13 1942, where a US cruiser destryoer force went up against TWO Japanese battlewagons were Fletchers. Those ships wouldn't do for Warships of the Atlantic, but would certainly count for Unsung Sisters. Hint, hint.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 02:24 AM UTC
Howdy fellas,

I've recently seen some Soviet Destroyer's (in the right scale ) that look interesting. How would one qualify if it had a "Sister" or not?

Tread.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 12:30 PM UTC
Tread, if its not Helga's sister build it ! #:-) Could'nt resist! Thats a good question Tread, Darned if I know. It should tell you on the box or instruction sheet. Or, Any one out there hip on Russian ships? Maybe we can find a review on them, what is the name of the ships, and who makes them?

Garry
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 12:38 PM UTC
I don't think ANY Russian destroyers are "sung" so all, by definition must be "unsung." Build away.

garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 03:35 PM UTC
Howdy Team, Well monday's the big kick off day for the Atlantic Build! Is everybody ready and chomping at the bit to start? I have my fins set and ready for the fun. Been snooping and drooling over my Lutzlow kit for a couple of days now, going to be a long weekend. So who is ready for the fun ?

Garry
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 04:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So who is ready for the fun ?

Oooh, oooh, me, me! I'm REALLY chomping at the bit to start. Can't WAIT to see the old lady, the HMS Warspite.

garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 04:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy fellas,

I've recently seen some Soviet Destroyer's (in the right scale ) that look interesting. How would one qualify if it had a "Sister" or not?

Tread.

Good Morning Tread! Hey if you are talking about the Trumpeter 1/200 Sovremenny class Destroyers, I found a good reference site for you. Dang these are some good looking ships for modern!

http://medlem.spray.se/sturmvoge1/twodescphotos1.htm

HTH,

Garry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 05:40 AM UTC
Howdy Fellas,

Yeah, I was just looking at the Soviet 'options' for the Build. I tend to usually build the
' variants', or the kits that are not the usual fare if I can. The Sovremenny (?) Class Destroyers looked interesting. That's one of the reasons I originally liked the 'Unsung Sisters' idea, because you would be building the lesser known, or ' variant' version of a popular ship.

I'm also dying to do a Sub, (I just LOVE that Soviet 'Typhoon' Class Sub model. I just wish I could find a Delta III Class example) so I'll have to look into a 'Sister' of the Red October.

Yeah...can't wait for the 'Start' date! I'm a bit tired of 'playing around' with the pieces and seeing how they go together, but not wanting to break out the glue!!

Tread.

Oh, here's that link you posted, only 'hot'

http://medlem.spray.se/sturmvogel/twodescphotos1.html

Hmmm, didn't work. Are you sure about the spelling?
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 06:31 AM UTC
Ok Tread here is the correction. instead of vogel , it is voge1.

http://medlem.spray.se/sturmvoge1/twodescphotos1.htm

If that dont work, go to, hyperscale .com , then to ship chat and the thread, Sovermenny class destroyer references.

Sheesh!

Garry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 06:54 AM UTC
Howdy Garry,

I changed the spelling, but it didn't help. But, I followed your directions to the thread over on Hyper, and just Copy & Pasted it into my post. So, for anyone else out there who wants to check the link out without having to leave the big 'A', my link works now....I checked it.

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 06:57 AM UTC
Hey Garry, just looked over that link you provided.......nice pics, with some nice detail shots!

Hmmmmm...
Tread.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 03:39 PM UTC
Ok being one of those "like the fruit salad" sort of guy, which option gives me a ribbon? the Usung Sisters or the Atlantic? I'm going to do the KG V kit wth PE. Whether or not she is named KG V or Anson/ HOwe/ Duke of York is immaterial to me. Or could I use it for both. Not enough time to do more than one as these 350 scale kits take weeks to do and I'm in middle of M1 Abrams campaign which I figure will will take a week or two to wrap up. Still waiting on the PE set to come in I ordered from Roll. Hope they are not as slow as Great Models, but their price was 2 bucks cheaper.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 04:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Garry, just looked over that link you provided.......nice pics, with some nice detail shots!

Hmmmmm...
Tread.

LOL! There is always at liest one site to turn your key, know matter what you choose to build!
I thought you would like this one.

Garry
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 08:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy Fellas,

Yeah, I was just looking at the Soviet 'options' for the Build. I tend to usually build the
' variants', or the kits that are not the usual fare if I can. The Sovremenny (?) Class Destroyers looked interesting. That's one of the reasons I originally liked the 'Unsung Sisters' idea, because you would be building the lesser known, or ' variant' version of a popular ship.

I'm also dying to do a Sub, (I just LOVE that Soviet 'Typhoon' Class Sub model. I just wish I could find a Delta III Class example) so I'll have to look into a 'Sister' of the Red October.

Yeah...can't wait for the 'Start' date! I'm a bit tired of 'playing around' with the pieces and seeing how they go together, but not wanting to break out the glue!!

Tread.

Oh, here's that link you posted, only 'hot'

http://medlem.spray.se/sturmvogel/twodescphotos1.html

Hmmm, didn't work. Are you sure about the spelling?

Hello there Tread, if I remember right, DML/ Dragon had a Delta 3 in 1/700 a few years back. It was one of those "Adversary" kits; it seems like it had a Nimrod MR Mk2 and a couple of SeaKings with it. You might be able to find it on ebay if you want do delve into micro braille scale
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 08:03 AM UTC
Well The Atlantic build starts tomorrow. So I thought , what harm would it be to just cut the hull halves off the sprue, clean it up and see how the two halves fit together. Well before I knew it that darn glue jumped right up there and put a beed of glue around the edge of the halves ! What could I do? Now I had to put the two halves together or they would'nt fit later! Sorry guys! But here is a little warning, if you are going to dry fit any parts to your build today, lock up your glue first. I swear it has a mind of its own !

Feeling guilty,

Garry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 08:36 AM UTC

:-) :-) :-) :-) Oh, that's alright Garry...strangly enough I had almost the very same problem! Only my problem occured when I was trying to dry-fit the link & length tracks, and variable-pitch props on my hull!

Tread.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 11:35 AM UTC
well count me in just got the revell 172 uboat yesterday so itchin to build it will be waiting till tmmi comes out on the 18th of march though as they are doing a build on it unless any one can show me a review of it else were
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 10:44 PM UTC
Its 0340 MST/ 040301, and as the imortal Jackie Gleason put it long ago and far away, "Away we go" !!! #:-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 02:27 AM UTC
Howdy and a fine Good Moring! to All you brave Warship modelers!!!!

It's now Monday, March 1st, 2004.

SO........put quite simply.

We've already gotten READY,

I'm pretty sure we're all SET....

So, the only thing left to do is........GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The very best of luck to all you hearty swabbies, whether veteran or noob, I can't be more excited about being along for the ride with you bunch a buggers!!

This outta be a blast!

Tread.

There's a salute for each one of you on your bravery for accepting this Operation!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 02:38 AM UTC
Well Howdy Mikeli !!!!!

What's a nice British lad like yourself hanging out down here around the Warship Pier?
I think I speak for ALL of us when I say WELCOME ABOARD!!!!!

Mighty glad to add you to our list of courageous sailors Mikeli, and having another Sub in the mix is just dandy with me! (I kinda have a soft spot for subs in case you didn't know ).
Which kit is that exactly? The Lionfish? If so, I was thinking about that one myself.

Tread.

O.K. guys, that makes an even twenty (20) participants!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 03:16 AM UTC
Yeehaw!!! It's Monday March 1st 2004. Now I just can't wait to get home, 11.5 HOURS from now. One disadvantage of working four 10s, it's a long time to wait to get home. But I'm off tomorrow so I intend to do some SERIOUS work on the old gal.

mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 03:38 AM UTC
tread,
I plan on building the new revell u-boat in 1/72 its massive so should be fun to paint
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 04:09 AM UTC
Hello mikeli125, Welcome along on the build! I did a search and came up blank for the RG 1/72 U-boat. Just to new on the market yet. Hey you can still do all the prep work and keep us filled in on it! Please keep us posted.

Cheers mate,

Garry
MadMeex
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 424 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 06:02 AM UTC
Alright! Finished up the IS-3m yesterday, on thursday I start sawing resin from the Hunley.

Mika
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 09:32 AM UTC
Finally, March 1st!!! Good Luck everybody!!!

Sean